• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

12 hours ago, gaspe said:

Is it better gray?

or green?

I like it gray. Just the right amount of grimness.

@DMPhobos Awesome sky.

17 hours ago, gaspe said:

Is it better gray?

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20180618_230804.png.ae7e124ccc8a43f8c09c445b16615789.png

or green?

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20180618_231145.png.ddb776452c4e2fb06a250115514603ea.png

inb4 it's flat

As much as I like maps to be more colorful, I'd go for grey because it has that melancholy tone to it mixed with evil satanic stuff.

ESnGzbL.png

SSG sprites from Stomper by NMN and textures from deConstruct Industrial Texture resource wad by stecki.

Basic premise: you go into the tunnels and fight monsters so you can find the keys to get out. There will be four "levels" (going to try to incorporate portals into this project in the end, but that might have to wait a while), with the exit on level 1 (seen here) and the keys on each lower level.

21 hours ago, gaspe said:

Is it better gray?

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20180618_230804.png.ae7e124ccc8a43f8c09c445b16615789.png

or green?

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20180618_231145.png.ddb776452c4e2fb06a250115514603ea.png

inb4 it's flat

it's flat

I chose gray, it fits the desolation feeling better.

25 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

@Aquila Chrysaetos looks good - I feel like the sloped sections need appropriate texture scaling applied, as they are they're quite distorted. :)

Easy enough. Thanks for the praise. Means a lot coming from an experienced mapper.

Edit: I just had an awesome idea. I'd love to have some areas on the floor be reflective and look wet, like little puddles of water. Ideas to implement?

Edited by Aquila Chrysaetos

5xiDXet.png

Something I did this day solely! I am slowly learning to use Draw Settings tab and keyboard shortcuts effectively in GZDoombuilder. :) Maybe some day I'm able to join Speedmapping Sessions even!

1 hour ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Easy enough. Thanks for the praise. Means a lot coming from an experienced mapper.

Edit: I just had an awesome idea. I'd love to have some areas on the floor be reflective and look wet, like little puddles of water. Ideas to implement?

Be careful with reflective floors. They look awesome but boy can they eat your frames

I know. I don't intend to use more than one partially reflective floor in any given area, assuming I can figure out how to get the wet effect (if not, I'll forgo it completely). The ancient machine I'm using now would probably explode if I used too many.

@StormCatcher.77 I absolutely love your shots.  Upon close inspection they're not even that complicated, but your choices of sectors and textures work together just so seamlessly.  They're a joy to look at.

The last image we'll see of AC-Special before I release it.

3ziSDcp.png

Transition from urban/tech to Hell. Opinions? Thoughts? Insults?

And no worries, it'll be easy to keep these areas secret, because what they are is a secret even to me.

9 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

And no worries, it'll be easy to keep these areas secret, because what they are is a secret even to me.

i like the map 15 in ultimate doom 2 for transition , but i like this :P, only the gray textures need changed, like a red blood for example

2 minutes ago, Gaia74 said:

i like the map 15 in ultimate doom 2 for transition , but i like this :P, only the gray textures need changed, like a red blood for example

Like blood falls around the marble? That sounds pretty cool.

yes i said like that

2 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Can never go wrong with more blood.

2 minutes ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Can never go wrong with more blood.

Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

I'll do that, then. Saturate that area with blood and skulls and the like, make it appropriately hellish.

I need to hurry up and get this out, that deadline's looming.

@StormCatcher.77, I love your style. You're creating a very convincing 3D world, though I can't imagine how much patience you must have to get those 3D floors and intricate details to mesh so well like that. I might try my hand at something like that myself in the future, because that's really cool.

1 minute ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

@Bauul Many thanks! :D Your words encourage me to create further.

I regularly see amazing shots here (including yours), so I try to experiment more to keep the bar of quality. Although, it turns out purely by chance, since haste is very much influenced, all decisions come spontaneously.

On all the pictures that I've been published recently, a map for the 'Verse Hopper project, developed in 2 weeks.

A couple more:

*pics*

The thing that I really like is your use of slopes. Just enough of them to notice where they have been used but they feel natural and unforced. I tend to forget about slopes which results in slightly sporadic use in my maps. 

Good use of lighting as well. I'm more than a little obsessed with lighting in Doom so that always draws my eye.

Lot's of responses... gray got 8 votes while green got 7, but I'll keep it green in the end :3

Yeah, I'm genuinely surprised you got so many responses! My vote to even the board would have been green, for what it's worth.

Another vote for green. It may just be 25 years of looking at that texture with a green shade, but it doesn't look like a natural gray color to me, at least as presented in your shots. Doom's natural gray textures have a different style of contrast than your desaturated green texture. And it may also be 25 years of looking at that texture with a green shade, but my eyes are adding a green cast to it regardless of your gray shading.

17 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

The last image we'll see of AC-Special before I release it.

3ziSDcp.png

really like this area. only one thing bugs me, namely that some of the red lights are cut off.

Yeah, that bugs me a bit, too, but the idea is that this little section is supposed to have been made like this with a portal, so the area was cut out like that, or something. I don't really know, I don't think too hard on it, but I think I'll leave it that way.

Oh, I've added some bloodfalls to this area and replaced that grey floor with blood because blood is good.

Yeah, that bugs me a bit, too,

You could create variants of the ceiling light flat using the "off" lights from this sheet:

floor8_lbm.png

The bottom right has the isolated graphic, and though it's colored for the brown tlite6_6, it should be easy to recolor it for tlite6_5, then you'll have properly broken light sockets for the split ones.

2 minutes ago, Lüt said:

it should be easy to recolor it for tlite6_5

If only my computer could use SLADE. I'm stuck with SLumpEd at the moment.

I could actually just section off the lights themselves and use that graphic with TLITE6_6 instead of 6_5. That would work quite well, I think.