Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

4 hours ago, Marcaek said:

Your collision boxes are going to be affected by rotating the map, I'd personally not bother rotating an entire map like that, and only build areas at odd angles naturally because the whole map is going to be slightly harder to move in as a result.

Heh, yeah I have a learned fear at this point of rotating even just rooms; I tried it a couple times and from my limited experience doing so I found that anything other than basic, foundational geometry runs the risk of creating more work fixing stuff than itd be to just draw it, as you said, naturally. One compromise I found though was to rotate, then copy just the vertices, undo, delete, paste, and redraw using the vertices as your measurements, but to me even that looks too similar to straight rotation aesthetic-wise when everything still resides in perfect x8, x16, x32, ... measurements. Gotta make it fun and draw some stupidly lengthed lines ;p

Also iirc there was a discussion on discord a little bit ago that was pretty good regarding the aesthetics of non-orthogonality; a couple people said, and I personally agree with this, that it is the mixing of orthogonal stuff with non-orthogonal stuff that really sets things off. If you think about it, a map drawn orthogonally then rotated will still look and mostly feel orthogonal while playing it, (though this also makes areas "smaller" or at least tighter in a way) since aside from orienting oneself via the squares of pixels, the player cannot tell what is north etc; it would only affect the automap view, as bioshock noted, as well as player and monster movement collision boxes, (the tighter thing comes to mind here) as marcaek also stated, though at least this particular example looks like a 1:4 so it shouldn't affect the square hitboxes nearly as much as a map rotated or even drawn naturally around a 45 degree angle. Still, rotating orthogonal maps at least tackles the occasionally frustrating faux-contrast of doom, heh.

That nonsense all said, my suggestion to bioshock to further improve the design would be to add in some lines of another orientation to cut down on the remaining overall aesthetic feeling of orthogonality that will remain as the player runs around the level.

Also it looks like somebody had a really bad experience in memfis's shot, heh, though how they turned around to scratch the wall behind them as it all happened puzzles me a bit.

Edited by Fonze

4 minutes ago, Fonze said:

Heh, yeah I have a learned fear at this point of rotating even just rooms; I tried it a couple times and from my limited experience doing so I found that anything other than basic, foundational geometry runs the risk of creating more work fixing stuff than itd be to just draw it, as you said, naturally. One compromise I found though was to rotate, then copy just the vertices, undo, delete, paste, and redraw using the vertices as your measurements, but to me even that looks too similar to straight rotation aesthetic-wise when everything still resides in perfect x8, x16, x32, ... measurements. Gotta make it fun and draw some stupidly lengthed lines ;p

Also iirc there was a discussion on discord a little bit ago that was pretty good regarding the aesthetics of non-orthogonality; a couple people said, and I personally agree with this, that it is the mixing of orthogonal stuff with non-orthogonal stuff that really sets things off. If you think about it, a map drawn orthogonally then rotated will still look and mostly feel orthogonal while playing it, though this also makes areas "smaller" or at least tighter in a way, since aside from orienting oneself via the squares of pixels, the player cannot tell what is north etc; it would only affect the automap view, as bioshock noted, as well as player and monster movement collision boxes, as marcaek also stated, though at least this particular example looks like a 1:4 so it shouldn't affect the square hitboxes nearly as much as a map rotated or even drawn naturally around a 45 degree angle. Still, rotating orthogonal maps at least tackles the occasionally frustrating faux-contrast of doom, heh.

That nonsense all said, my suggestion to bioshock to further improve the design would be to add in some lines of another orientation to cut down on the remaining overall aesthetic feeling of orthogonality that will remain as the player runs around the level.

Also it looks like somebody had a really bad experience in memfis's shot, heh, though how they turned around to scratch the wall behind them as it all happened puzzles me a bit.

Thanks for the spheal, that actually helps a lot! hadn't considered the whole hitbox issue. Thankfully I've got one more section to make in this map and it'd been planned on to make it non-orthogonal orthogonally so that when the map is non-orthogonal it appears orthogonal.

That word's fun.

12 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I need more textures. The 1,600 I have don't have enough of what I need. I need more red and violet/purple.

You could use aa-tex stuff, export them as png pictures or colour remap existing textures on it and do mentioned thing before. 

59 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Reminds me of Sunlust MAP07's last secret. What a brutal fight that was.

ah shit i should've said, geometry is from sunlust MAP07

Some basic shit, probably won't see the light of day (I should really mash together all those half made ideas, see what comes out)

doom00.jpg

3 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

Some basic shit, probably won't see the light of day (I should really mash together all those half made ideas, see what comes out)

Do it. I used to be really bad about actually releasing content, too. (What's worst is when you go through your unreleased stuff and realize you've made the same concept multiple times, yet have never released it.)

On 6/25/2018 at 10:45 PM, Myst.Haruko said:

If you want, I can send it over pm or discord, I'm planning to redo this for my personal project and make less space consuming. 

That would be awesome if thats ok for you. I don't have discord, only pm :).

MvN0Uc4.png

kLz1y4F.png

HURedux E1M4 is about complete. I just have to place the things. I'll update the official thread when M4 is finished and tested. I should start on M5 later today.

10 hours ago, pc234 said:

Why does my apartment look all sectory and auto-aligned?

Excellent lamp! Love the ingenuity that can come out of stock texture usage.

3 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

MvN0Uc4.png

kLz1y4F.png

HURedux E1M4 is about complete. I just have to place the things. I'll update the official thread when M4 is finished and tested. I should start on M5 later today.

That looks awesome ,you have really done a good job !

Yellow key area just about done. I rarely if ever do platforming and traversing across a huge black empty void felt like the right approach for the only key in the map.

hadrone3m7-2.png

Guest Unregistered account
On 6/26/2018 at 4:33 PM, mrthejoshmon said:

doom00.jpg

It's a really simple thing but I love the look of those windows above the doorway, I can imagine there being rooms or hallways fitted inside. Also gives a slight feeling of being watched from above, heh

On 6/26/2018 at 8:21 PM, Dragonsbrethren said:

Do it. I used to be really bad about actually releasing content, too. (What's worst is when you go through your unreleased stuff and realize you've made the same concept multiple times, yet have never released it.)

I have done this, there are entire concepts and levels in this mess and I'm going to make it work, somehow.

JESUS.JPG.a8b153521c55eb815fb18a044c380bf1.JPG

A gallery demonstrating random parts of the map: https://m.imgur.com/a/CNRGeaj

Spoiler

As you can see there is a lot of unrealized concepts in there including void floating islands and temples, marble hell structures, an entire (almost finished) Plutonia based castle level, tech bases, urban/city areas... I'm going to get creative with this one.

In the overview image you can see a basic themed layout taking place that will be used as the direction and base for how this will flow, starting bottom right and going up, over to the right, up again, right again and then all the way down.

E1M8 remake. When you step on the pentagram lines, elevators lower and reveal hell knight/revenant snipers.

Screenshot_Doom_20180627_214344.png