Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

img

looks excellent. can't wait to get my hands on this texture set whenever it becomes public

1 hour ago, Memfis said:

Hmm, this begs for a pretty skybox.

Any suggestions on what it could be? Bare in mind this is boom format so I am somewhat limited. :)

33 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Please don't add Apollyon... please...

ajajajajjajajaja, noo only the angel, the rosary , the eucaristic, and the bible  is all xD

3 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

This is still very much a work in progress, but hey, today's progress feels good. :)

f3aad24542dddf19ceaaf014af146b95.jpg

This has a Hexen II vibe, i love it.

Woah, you weren't kidding when you said it was your most detailed map. Really impressive stuff dobu!

2 hours ago, Tango said:

looks absolutely beautiful. what is your mapping process like for working on things of this scale, @dobu gabu maru?

Keep working on it until I feel "comfortable" with how it feels. It can be difficult reaching that subjective comfortability, because I'm sure a lot of folks would feel like "that's enough" with the first picture. For me though, I constantly work through the process of "what is the point of this area" and "does it succeed in its goal?". Neither points 1 or 2 worked for the "old" picture, so I reworked it until I felt that it had an ambitious point #1, and we'll see if the playtesting achieves point #2. Also I hate open areas feeling overtly flat, so usually I work obsessively to change that :P

1883394494_switchesat2018_07.1011-50-20.321R3003.jpg.b7104a077f324ee00d45590f3b8f5968.jpg

The map that might've just killed my motivation for a PS1 megawad targeting the original engine. Was fully playable until I implemented the exit area, which caused it to start throwing a memory error on load. Quick fixes aren't resolving it, and the outdoor detailing isn't even finished yet...

The project concept was neat, but esoteric. I might just move it over to GZDoom and take advantage of additional features; I've been itching to try out that Doom 64-style gradient lighting with the original sprites/textures.

Edit: PS1 engine fans, rejoice! I managed to get the map loading again. It required absolutely butchering the end section, making the map feel like it just...ends, but it's playable now, along with a handful of other new maps.

Edited by Dragonsbrethren

16 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Any suggestions on what it could be? Bare in mind this is boom format so I am somewhat limited. :)

I was imagining brighter blue-ish clouds since gray ones don't seem too pretty. Not sure if the palette allows that.

I would love something like that. Perhaps similar to that of lupinx-kassman's map in ancient aliens. A shame the palette I have wouldn't come close to supporting that. Optional extra would be to give the map a gzdoom specific sky, perhaps..?

Cross-posting this image.

CjJoY0c.png

The first map in a set of six, each will have its own color scheme, all will be in the E4 style.

Boom format so I can become more accustomed to the format.

Also doing what Ribbiks does and sticking self-referencing sectors everywhere to make the floors less bumpy where there's detail on the floor.

15 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

I would love something like that. Perhaps similar to that of lupinx-kassman's map in ancient aliens. A shame the palette I have wouldn't come close to supporting that. Optional extra would be to give the map a gzdoom specific sky, perhaps..?

A middle ground between the current sky and Culture Shock's sky would be ideal imo. I wonder how it would look to have darkish blues behind bright clouds.

So I created name graphics for the maps I'm making so they'll show up in Boom.

I got the DEHACKED done (which was remarkably easy, since I was only changing a few strings) and used DoomWord to create the graphic.

Problem was, the cyan in the graphic didn't register as transparent, so I went into GIMP and forced it to be transparent. Moved it into the wad and I get this:

FSsrK2e.png

Spoiler

14COhR2h.jpg

Thinking something went amazingly wrong.

I like it. But what do you think?

5 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

So I created name graphics for the maps I'm making so they'll show up in Boom.

I got the DEHACKED done (which was remarkably easy, since I was only changing a few strings) and used DoomWord to create the graphic.

Problem was, the cyan in the graphic didn't register as transparent, so I went into GIMP and forced it to be transparent. Moved it into the wad and I get this:

FSsrK2e.png

Reveal hidden contents

14COhR2h.jpg

Thinking something went amazingly wrong.

I like it. But what do you think?

Really nice :P

Tried more cyberspace look for my game. Made item sprites with letters in each, then realised the whole alphabet isn't going to be enough, some letters would be duplicated, and some no idea what they'd do. Maybe something else for the items then. Turned the flight into a powerup, there can be some other movement powerups too. Maybe I also want to redo the HUD, take the best parts of each HUD design. Kinda liked the very first HUD with the large chunky bars with no numbers in it.

This was some jump height test area. With super jump powerups player might be able to jump to the tallest step.

GXfA29T.png

Slightly different palette. Don't know which one I like better. This is 5 colors with 3 shades, the other is 5 colors with 4 shades with shared dark colors.
R2YxUMk.png