Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

GDrhcqh.png

The colors we can see here are from a palette made by @Myst.Haruko and posted on the Post Your Textures thread.

Spoiler

Z8SNutI.jpg

An automap view. It looks like it could be vanilla compatible, but there'd be no chance of that actually working.

I have finally thought of a name to complement the map names. It is now Solaris, because all the map names are stars or constellations (and in one case, a galaxy).

@Aquila Chrysaetos Just curious, are you using transferred heights on that floor detail on the left of that first shot? From my experience, no-one likes walking on an overly uneven floor during combat: throws them off to be dipping up and down at a rapid pace. Use action 242 in Boom to even out the heights while still keeping the detail.

13 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

Just curious, are you using transferred heights on that floor detail on the left of that first shot?

I am not. I am using self-referencing sectors to make them smooth.

11 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I am not. I am using self-referencing sectors to make them smooth.

Ah, that'll work as well. I'd recommend using action 242 for future Boom projects though, it's a lot less buggy. Took me a while to figure out myself. :P

I wonder, how would those pseudo 3d textures would look with a solid color instead of a solid black void?, either way it looks fantastic and it's really impressive to see this kind of architecture on boom format :)

They look awful because of doom's fake contrast. The only real solution to that problem would be to make the whole structure look 'wonky and misshapen' or rotate the entirety of the structure. A shame, really.

There are other ways to remove the fake contrast.

1. Use EvenLighting for that map in your mapinfo text, though that will be for the whole map. If you only want it for just a specific spot, then...

2. For every darkened wall, add a very thin sector in front of it and make it a little brighter to compensate. Vice versa for lighter walls.

3. If you split a linedef and move that midpoint vertex a single pixel, it will eliminate fake contrast, and moving it a single pixel shouldn't affect the looks of the structure or even any texture alignments.

Option #1 is not an option here because the aim is to be Boom-compatible and if it was targeting ZDoom the point would be moot anyway as slopes and 3D floors would be available, so there would be no need to fake them with midtextures.

5 minutes ago, Ichor said:

There are other ways to remove the fake contrast.

1) Correct me if I'm wrong (I really hope I'm wrong) but PrBoom+ doesn't listen to MAPINFO, right?

2) The sector count is already quite high thanks to this 3d effect, I'd rather not double it on such an open map from fear of making it unplayable on some people's hardware. Also this would help create even more slime trails. :(
3) this is what I tried and you can somewhat tell. The structure just "feels wobbly" in shape. I'll still look into it further as the black is bothering me.

Option 4: use light transfers on the floor so it doesn't seem different and set the light level to 255, eliminating the fake contrast.

10 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Option 4: use light transfers on the floor so it doesn't seem different and set the light level to 255, eliminating the fake contrast.

thats a brilliant idea for that, sounds like a great fix to me.

I think option 2 might be your best bet, assuming it even works at all. It would under normal circumstances, but this here is hardly normal, heh.

42 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

1) Correct me if I'm wrong (I really hope I'm wrong) but PrBoom+ doesn't listen to MAPINFO, right?

Unfortunately, you are correct. PRBoom does not parse MAPINFO.

I'm thinking light transfers might be your best bet here to avoid slime trails and other such unsightly errors while dealing with the fake contrast that Doom so irritatingly loves to use.

3 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Still might look weird unless you're making the whole arena 255 brightness as well. IMO best to look at the map from the player's point of view, and see if it looks fine from there. Now you know why people don't do faux-3D structures in Boom :P

Made a mockup HUD, so not ingame yet. Has level timer, target hitpoints, credits/score at the top. Bottom left has keys in green, and permanent keys in purple. Unlocking a locked door use 1 to 10 keys, permanent keys decrease the amount of keys needed. Energy in aqua, hitpoints in orange. Double bars if they're above 100. Bottom right has owned & selected weapons and their ammo counts. Maybe one set of weapons is like inventory items and only show up as HUD icons, the other set can have view sprites.

QtXEmjV.png

A couple shots from the newest area of Solaris MAP01 - Canis Major.

Z8AAR4T.png

MYsFxHN.png

The red skull area. Tried to make it look semi-natural. Took about 4 hours to do, off and on.

Here's a builder shot of the area in question.

YdfBL8d.jpg

It's pretty big. I might change it a little later so the player has to go through that corridor in the west, or I may make that optional. Undecided at the moment.

Interesting first room :v .

(But not happening yet)

fdhdfhd.png

Hectic Is A Fallen Seraphim but never use is wings, this time is he having her wings

Hectic Serafin v2.jpg

17 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Your map, @Agent6 or a wad you're playing?

Wad obviously, the day I start making maps for real has not come yet (and frankly I don't know when it will, if at all, as a matter of fact).

It's the first room from the first level of Sunder. Nice trap, starting slowly, I'll be impaled later on, when I'll start playing it for real, this was just for my curiosity :v . Funny, how everyone missed the point in the chat when I said "fixed/balanced", I suppose I have a way of making people misunderstand me since it happens so easily and frustratingly often.

8 hours ago, Ichor said:

3. If you split a linedef and move that midpoint vertex a single pixel, it will eliminate fake contrast, and moving it a single pixel shouldn't affect the looks of the structure or even any texture alignments.

it's worth noting that (depending on your nodebuilder) even if your lines are not 0° or 90° in the editor, they might get split during nodebuilding and have their vertices quantized to nearest integers, resulting in some segments of your architecture still being subject to fake contrast even though you wiggled some pixels around and it looks like theoretically it shouldn't happen ;D

@DragonflyMaybe trying editing the relevant texture and making a brightened version, then plastering this on all the walls darkened by fake contrast. I've used darkened/lightened versions of textures in similar - though not quite identical - contexts, and it can work fairly well. 

On 7/1/2018 at 6:29 PM, DMPhobos said:

Cross posting some NOVA screenshots

Oh, a space map? I'm watching you :D 

Those look really cool too btw 

2 hours ago, A.Gamma said:

Still working on my Heretic map, however I think the docks area could use something more to liven it up a bit, but I'm not sure what. Any ideas?

Perhaps some rocks. See if you can make some convincing boulders out of LOOSERCK (or other custom texture) to provide some visual contrast with the BRWNRCKS border of the coast line.

You could also make a pair of pillars holding some braziers (type 76) to mark the docks and help guide sailors during the night or in the fog.