Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

12 minutes ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Started snow themed map under purple sky. I guess this one will be last under purple colour and move on to night sky themed maps. 

A7SshFV.png

This remember me this:

image.png.3db7f6ce70a0c94061f51762d0b27322.png

Some PSX Doom TC images.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180805_142326.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180805_142335.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180805_183207.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180805_183218.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180805_183457.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180805_183757.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180805_183920.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180805_184440.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180805_184448.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180805_185702.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180805_190313.png

Can't wait for the upcoming PSX Doom, Final Doom, Master Levels, and Doom 64 for GZDoom.

45 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

Not sure if this is something done often, but I'm doing some light transfer work (Boom) and figured this was a simple way of doing things - it's basically a light transfer palette, 2 rows of 17 sectors - one per row for each brightness level.

The top row handles ceilings, the bottom does floors. The top lines along each row have a general tag range which is used for normal scenarios: otherwise untagged sectors that only require either a ceiling or floor transfer. The bottom lines are for exceptions: i.e the sector requires its own tag, or like I'm currently needing, floor and ceiling transfers.

Safe to say one of the ZDoom/UDMF features I miss most is being able to have individual lighting on different parts of a sidedef :)

I like the visuals of your example Eris; I usually use separated triangles and bump them up into squares/etc if more tags than 3 are needed per light level, but keep floor/ceiling on the same sectors. Actually separating them may help with efficiency; I may try that on my next speedmap.

Something I can add to the discussion though: I started using tags matching the light levels for speedmaps, (like 128 brightness tags would be based around 128) which is partially not made inconvenient due to the typical size of speedmaps and relative lack of huge numbers of tags. But the extra ordering does seem to help me keep track of things better and map out light transfers faster.

It's cool to hear about others' approaches to the mechanics side of mapping, how they tackle the issues that come with making stuff work, and the little things they do to make themselves more efficient or to simply make things easier on themselves, in addition to mapping approaches in general.

I don't like how the metal around that gate is just flush with the stone. It kind of lacks depth, some more bordering would probably help.

45 minutes ago, Gez said:

I don't like how the metal around that gate is just flush with the stone. It kind of lacks depth, some more bordering would probably help.

I agree on both points, and while the metal around the gate might be an easy fix, the bordering is not since I don't have any border texture that has the same "feel" as the stone. Still, I'll try and see what can be done.

Moar PSX Doom goodies.

gsdgds.png

hfgjf.png

jfjfjf.png

Disappointing that they got rid of resolutions but I'll live with that...

4 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Disappointing that they got rid of resolutions but I'll live with that...

You can still use resolution scaling though.

that looks awesome @Scotty, I love the atmosphere and the texture combos you're using.

on an unrelated note, I recently played your map in DMP2016 and it has become one of my favorite maps ever :D

All of this stuff in this thread looks great. Awesome work guys, I can only dream of achieving something like this.

10 minutes ago, elend said:

All of this stuff in this thread looks great. Awesome work guys, I can only dream of achieving something like this.

you'll get there :D

On 8/6/2018 at 3:17 AM, Eris Falling said:

Not sure if this is something done often...

I did this somewhere, and I also had a convenient tag number system: [three numbers for brightness]+[one number for the floor\ceiling flag]. Tag 1280 meant "floor brightness to 128", tag 1601 meant "ceiling brightness to 160", etc. So I didn't have to check the number every time.

On 8/6/2018 at 9:34 PM, KVELLER said:

You can still use resolution scaling though.

Yeah but that's another thing. Eh, whatever, I play on 1080p most of the time anyway so it's not like I was going to choose something else from the menu :v .

Also, I'll be damned, I've always lived under the false impression that the PSX Doom TC launcher was broken by an update to GZDoom at some point but that's actually not true, it still very much works, or 98% of it still does, it only generates the psxdoom.cfg but the file itself is empty. Good thing there's a topic on Steam with the cvars to add them manually.

Funny, I even like the screwed up SSG, it makes it feel more powerful and longer in a bizarre way. No idea how to get the missing bars of the HUD back though.

E: Found it, it was an option in the customizer.

fasfafa.png

Edited by Agent6

My machine crashed in the middle of saving my wad and GZDoom Builder shit itself trying to recover it and all the temp files were gone from the Temp folder from all the time I've worked on it, so I lost everything except my resources for Solaris.

Shit happens. I'll rebuild it and make it better.

Here's the new start room for Canis Major.

ivqrS8L.png

stole borrowed ideas that @Dragonfly and @Urthar used in their own maps and made an amalgamation of the two in this large pentagonal room.

@Aquila Chrysaetos Make back-up copies of your wad. Right-drag-and-drop and select Copy Here. Do it once a day, and also when you just made a major change you don't want to lose and/or when you are about to make a change you are not sure about. If this crash happens again, you won't lose as much. If you make the copies on another drive, that's even better.

Learning Lesson: Symmetry 101 with NaZa. Today - aligning switches with respective computer panels. 10/10 symmetry.

symmetry101.png.19dfb939a151e83e0c3d4ee9158fcd61.png

Guest Unregistered account
On 8/1/2018 at 1:55 PM, Deadwing said:

Last screenshots for my megawad :D

Ao5w7HH.jpg

62a6v90.jpg

Thread for it:

This looks incredible, I love the Plutonia-esque use of vine textures. However, I think those viney floors look quite strange with what appears to be a wall texture on them.

1 minute ago, Gaia74 said:

i want create my first map, but some tips before i start?

• Focus on the layout and gameplay of your map first. Visuals + texture work can go later
  • Start with a simple map format to work with. Vanilla / Limit removing format is a good way to go if you're starting out
  • Test your map in the intended sourceport to ensure everything works as intended (Prboom + comes to mind)
  • Look at other people's work for inspiration if you are unsure of what you want to do for your own maps
  • Don't put Barons in your map. They're a bad enemy and you should feel bad if you use them.

12 minutes ago, Breezeep said:

Don't put Barons in your map. They're a bad enemy and you should feel bad if you use them.

If they use them incorrectly, maybe. I agree that it's hard to make an interesting encounter with them, but it's certainly not impossible.