Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

7 minutes ago, Bauul said:

I always try to include some ambient motion in my maps, I feel it helps make them feel a little more alive.  Thanks to @leodoom85's suggestion, this now includes floating islands!

(If anyone is wondering about the method, each island is actually two groups of sectors located in different parts of the map, a top half and a bottom half, joined by a horizontal portal which runs along the flat linedefs at the rim of each.  This allows for the vertex-sloped rock shape without needing 3D floors.  The top half has floor_waggle and the bottom half has ceiling_waggle applied.  Textures between both are manually aligned so they look like a single object and the timing offsets matched so they move in unison).

Using portals for this is a very good idea. The 3d sloped floor requirements have been causing an issue with an idea I've had for ages and this could solve it. (the central piece was a floating sphere) Thanks for the tip! 

1 minute ago, scifista42 said:

???

It's a bit hard to see in the gif, but the top of the rock "bowl" of each island (just below the grass) is actually a ring of linedefs instead of the usual sloped flats.  This ring is replicated exactly both above the sloped rock sectors and below the grass sectors, and together form a kind of cylinder along which the two groups of sectors can slide in and out of the portal without the player noticing what's happening.

7 minutes ago, Bauul said:

the two groups of sectors can slide in and out of the portal

Now I think I understand - the portal itself is not one of the sectors that waggle. Thanks.

10 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

Now I think I understand - the portal itself is not one of the sectors that waggle. Thanks.

Yes exactly, the portal is in the surrounding sector (the skybox), sorry I should have made that clearer.  The islands are actually gaps in the portal, with the grass above the portal and the sloped rocks below the portal.

Edited by Bauul

@Bauul To make this even clearer, and to see whether I understand, the portals are ceiling / floor portals, not line portals?

Haha, the "horizontal portal" argument again! Horizontal as in the orientation of the portal's surface, or horizontal as in the direction you see/walk through the portal? Your interpretation may vary.

@Bauul, looks nice! A couple of years ago I did the same rock islands for hell location of my "Descent" map before I abandoned it:

Spoiler

0002.jpg.2c2fefa25573bcd5dd9f32d86a97b64b.jpg

0003.jpg.a1862418c52143cdd55eee8c99559d2c.jpg

0007.jpg.d890c85e7cda784966ef9e105d7d35cb.jpg

In my version they also "float" with Floor_Waggle \ Ceiling_Waggle

Ah, sorry... I see now.

Edited by StormCatcher.77

10 hours ago, Bauul said:

Hah, yes, sorry, sector portals! 

Edit: I should add that the concept of splitting the entire map in two with a huge sector portal to allow for "upper" and "lower" sections was cribbed wholesale from @Dragonfly's entry to this year's Vinesauce Mapping Competition.  So credit to him for the idea!

Thanks! If I manage to replicate this, I'll credit both you and Dragonfly in the WADINFO lump.

Those are fun, but they look like the walls were rigged with explosives. If that's the intent, then cool; otherwise I'd expect less explosions and more rubble.

How did you make them? The easiest way I can see is by using invisible dummy items with the VULNERABLE flag (but not SHOOTABLE) so that they can be killed by explosions, which trigger the wall destruction script upon death.

Edited by Gez

Fun fact, in Duke and presumably other BUILD games, walls that exploded like that literally were rigged with explosives: you had to place canisters in mid-air where you wanted explosions to happen and then horizontally shrink them to 1px-wide so the unexploded canisters wouldn't appear.

4 hours ago, A.Gamma said:

Making them behave EXACTLY like in BUILD however (Like in, any explosion can trigger them, even if it comes from enemies) ,is not so much.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

How did you make them? The easiest way I can see is by using invisible dummy items with the VULNERABLE flag (but not SHOOTABLE) so that they can be killed by explosions, which trigger the wall destruction script upon death.

In AtmosFear I made a destructible wall which had a 1-hp actor the other side so only damage which is caused by a blast radius (rockets) could cause it to trigger. The death of the actor ran an ACS script.

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

In AtmosFear I made a destructible wall which had a 1-hp actor the other side so only damage which is caused by a blast radius (rockets) could cause it to trigger. The death of the actor ran an ACS script.

I used the invisible actor with a DamageFactor of 0 except for whatever I want to use to destroy the wall (in this case, it was those Heretic pods). In this case here, you could change the damage type the rocket would do, so you could use rockets to blow up the wall, but nothing else would work, even revenant rockets (unless you change their damage type too).

10 hours ago, FluffyTowels~ said:

? w o n   g n i h g u a l   s ' o h W

2018-08-14_13-11-24.png.c7d4eaea6b7401ff0e619a53ecff2ec1.png

And the cube that he spawns is copies of Skyrim on different platforms!

The Forces Of Kaiser Fighting Some Marines

PD: Find Kaiser In The Picture (Is A Bruiser Demon)

Guerra Kaiser.png

10 minutes ago, Gaia74 said:

On the top of the picture in the middle, the shadowy figure in the background.

1 hour ago, Gaia74 said:

The Forces Of Kaiser Fighting Some Marines

He isn't particularly well-hidden :P BTW, that background looks like a low-res JPG. At first I actually thought the image hadn't loaded properly yet, heh.

4 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

He isn't particularly well-hidden :P BTW, that background looks like a low-res JPG. At first I actually thought the image hadn't loaded properly yet, heh.

Yep, i need a better background xD

8 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

that background looks like a low-res JPG. At first I actually thought the image hadn't loaded properly yet, heh.

I initially thought it was the city from Duke Nukem's L.A. Meltdown.

2 hours ago, KVELLER said:

Looks like Duke Nuke....

2 hours ago, Agent6 said:

I initially thought it was the city from Duke Nukem's L.A. Meltdown.

Shit, Agent6 beat me too it. Seriously though, that's the first thought that popped into my head and now I all those sweet sound effects stuck in my brain.