Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

It seems today that all you see is violence in movies and sex on TV.

Screenshot_Doom_20181222_183757.png.d61062b4927654a581e60b10d65f7f68.png

Day of the Rope, my Doomworld Mega Project 2018 submission, is now released!

(The chart may seem surprisingly tolerant for Nazi standards, but it doesn't actually indicate who gets to live)

Not too bad! Needs a little more contrast imo- a common mistake in most waterwall recolours~

Sadly there is the "bump" on the left side of the texture too which would make the tiling stand out pretty bad...shame really- it's a nice texture.

10 minutes ago, Fuzzball said:

Not too bad! Needs a little more contrast imo- a common mistake in most waterwall recolours~

Sadly there is the "bump" on the left side of the texture too which would make the tiling stand out pretty bad...shame really- it's a nice texture.

This isn't a waterfall recolor, those textures were posted by John Romero here: 

i just put those waterfall textures into my wad and make them animated.

Fun facts about WOOD3.

Do you know that upper panels are smaller than lower? Each frame is copy of first one, only lower frames have +1 pixel in upper line.989046875_WOOD3copy.jpg.5bf220aba6772eaee6cd8c4d19c430fe.jpg

EDIT:

next - wood4

WOOD4.jpg.ca8277c98d4d734d6070ff193a6237ff.jpg

@Khorus Absolutely loving what I see. It's about time Strife saw some advanced-engine love. When can we expect to see a release, and is there a new storyline? Would be sweet if it captured the original game's feeling, complete with voice acting. ;D

2 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

@Khorus Absolutely loving what I see. It's about time Strife saw some advanced-engine love. When can we expect to see a release, and is there a new storyline? Would be sweet if it captured the original game's feeling, complete with voice acting. ;D

That would mean Khorus would have to do all the voice acting using his best Duke Nukem impression.   

That feeling of peace when you manage to clean up automap from the high detailing the map truly have and making it display the playable areas of the map properly:

aTAMPvJ.jpg

26 minutes ago, Bauul said:

I am constantly in awe of how natural your lighting looks.  It is really is a gold standard. 

Post JOM for me I'm back to Elementalism, and have started thinking about a Water Episode map.  The theme is Egyptian textures and (surprise) water. I chucked together a little something last night to get me started. 

4moknsW.gif

How did you get those waterfalls to look so realistic? They look awesome!

6 hours ago, Bauul said:

Post JOM for me I'm back to Elementalism, and have started thinking about a Water Episode map.  The theme is Egyptian textures and (surprise) water. I chucked together a little something last night to get me started. 

4moknsW.gif

I'm going to object to that cartouche texture on the light fixture holders; it's really not a texture that can be wallpapered and cut at odd angles.

edit: the updated picture looks so much better; now I can actually look at the pretty waterfalls without being distracted. :D

Edited by Gez

1 hour ago, Rhebiz said:

How did you get those waterfalls to look so realistic? They look awesome!

Thanks! The texture does a lot of the work, it's been blurred vertically so it looks more natural in motion. I also layered it six times, each with a descending level of alpha transparency, so it has more depth.

Each layer also has a different offset, a slightly different scale, and a different scroll speed. A couple at the back have slight horizontal scroll too, so the final look is a bit more variable than just a single texture scrolling down. 

43 minutes ago, Gez said:

I'm going to object to that cartouche texture on the light fixture holders; it's really not a texture that can be wallpapered and cut at odd angles.

Yeah, I was in two minds about whether it could work like that. I'll do some experimenting to see if there are better options.

25 minutes ago, Bauul said:

Thanks! The texture does a lot of the work, it's been blurred vertically so it looks more natural in motion. I also layered it six times, each with a descending level of alpha transparency, so it has more depth.

Each layer also has a different offset, a slightly different scale, and a different scroll speed. A couple at the back have slight horizontal scroll too, so the final look is a bit more variable than just a single texture scrolling down. 

Wow! I thought it was only scrolling texture and custom particles. Nice work!

@StormCatcher.77 That looks really, really lovely. So... clean and futuristic?!

@zanieon That is actually a really nice looking automap! 

@Bauul Those are some seriously cool looking waterfalls. I tried that method with several layers of transparency once, for blood, but it didn't quite work out as I hoped. Can't wait to see your maps up close and personal.

7 hours ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

Some edits of my "post-JoM" map:

Hide contents

0010.jpg.8cd19d893c875afe0eeb90b017ac28cb.jpg0009.jpg.47e6b5eea98445d1599835c56d677bd7.jpg0008.jpg.a1446c7d2f4d39a6b6359bf090344aa6.jpg

This color scheme and lighting is my jam!  Keep it up.

7 hours ago, Bauul said:

I am constantly in awe of how natural your lighting looks.  It is really is a gold standard. 

Post JOM for me I'm back to Elementalism, and have started thinking about a Water Episode map.  The theme is Egyptian textures and (surprise) water. I put together a few textures and tried out a waterfall method last night to get me started. 

PVcQ6bZ.gif

*jaw drops*

How people manage to push the Doom engine to its limit like this is amazing.  

7 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

Winter's Fury, rendered in GL at 640x400 with Vanilla distance fog, software-style banding, AO, and palette tonemapping. The result is quite gloomy and atmospheric, and not as murky as the screenshots suggest because objects silhouette nicely when in motion or animating. It kind of reminds me of Descent.

Nice. Something about dynamic lights in low resolution looks so satisfying.