Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

@skillsaw That‘s a tutorial right there. Thank you, kind sir. Great work, I hope I will have the skills to mess around with portals one day. 

@Tango it looks realy nice. Bloom effect is great with white sky behind the entrance and on the red explosion. Green trees and orange-grey sky work great together too!

@GoatLord I'll make version to downscale it to about 128=256 or 128=512 (now is 128=1280) to get nice pixel look, if it will be look worse than @hidfan work, than it will go to trash.

garg.jpg

@guitardz great mood. It's nice to watch it.

Motion blur in Doom looks awesome! I love it. Found on zdoom forum.

y8CflyF.png

EDIT:

I've just used @Woolie Wool settings and I fall in love on it :D

AuCQ3dx.pngWr0wbpN.png

MkbBtht.pngsvsY2fm.pngTEXapqa.png9YjLPEV.pnghE4MpRK.pngkA0NN5o.pngglC2gjG.pngK4ZH4qB.png9TkWXTc.pngKQbIDDx.pngIkGfs1d.png

EDIT: ha, I see I need to bump resolution to 4k

EDIT: hmm, still my screenshots are in 640x480 even in custom 4k

Edited by Teder

34 minutes ago, elend said:

Now those highres textures look kind of interesting in paletted mode. 

I have to agree...Now I want them even more, lol.

If I may: to look convincing, a crane needs to look balanced. Usually (but not necessarily always), they're taller than they're wide. It also needs to be physically balanced with a counterweight opposite the arm.

MCaAII8.jpg

I'd recommend ditching the vertical spanners on the arm texture. It makes the arm look heavier than it should be, and real cranes are all triangles. The tower part would look sturdier if it was wider, or if the arm was thinner. For your crane you could take inspiration from this one which has similar squat proportions:

0WW8N4B.jpg

From the description on the site where I found it, it's a special-purpose industrial crane (not a construction crane like the ones above), built to load heavy metal slabs on trucks. So something like this would make sense in an Industrial Zone.

Counterweights are blocks of concrete, so some variation on Doom's GRAY textures should suffice for them.

1 hour ago, Zanieon said:

Q9BsaAM.jpg

This reminds me of Brutal Legend for some reason.

14 hours ago, skillsaw said:

ZDoom has linked portals as well. I'm not sure how the feature compares between the two ports, as I've only worked with Eternity's.

GZDoom incorporated Eternity style portals, but I think ZDoom itself only has the older kind which you can see through, but can't otherwise interact with.

@NiGHTMARE

Very cool, looks pretty close to me.

@Gez

Thanks for those, I'll add a counterweight for sure, and adjusting the slats to be angled should be a fairly easy texture edit, as well as adding some cables along the top connecting the load and the counterweight. I agree that the crane itself would look better with more height to it, but I've already shrunk it vertically quite a bit in order to let the player see it fully as they traverse the map without having to look up too much, so I think the stubby height is staying.

@Teder GZDoom will only output screenshots at whatever resolution scale you're faking, so you could always create a 4k image in Photoshop or another editor and drag the screenshot into it, then stretch it to fill out the whole image.  If you want it to retain it's pixelly goodness you'll need to have image sizing settings set to linear.  I do this when I am making my YouTube thumbnails.

Example: This screen was 1792x1008 (my normal window size I play in with no resolution scaling) stretched up to 1080p

eveiternity1.jpg

@guitardzSo, uh, wea re getting real close to 500 pages in here.  How should we celebrate?

:D

And here come fullhd screenshots:

OZsQxB6.png

1fvMQGU.png

aiYm7qP.png

m3GBIQq.jpgEDIT: hmm, I think it's still to low crispy.

On 12/21/2018 at 7:46 AM, Dutch Doomer said:

I might be wrong here, but I'm fairly sure he's from Belgium. Nice shots you posted again :)

Perhaps I assumed too much because "van" is in his name. ;)

The first Doom Picture thread was closed after around 520ish pages due to being a strain on the website systems.  Is this one going to suffer the same fate?  And if so, who will start Part 3?

@Grazza @Linguica has modern technology beaten this issue?

@Teder

I admit I was skeptical looking at the texture previews on their own, but seeing them in action in those screenshots it does look really "natural" compared to any other HD remakes I've seen.