Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

11 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Playing around with nested translucent textures, attenuated lights, and sine gradients for some of these effects.

I think this would give me a good idea of how you made something like this...

if it wasn't written in Klingon.

Jokes aside, great work!

2 hours ago, Novaseer said:

Jokes aside, great work!

Yea @Aquila Chrysaetos tell us how to do these gradient signs and attenuated textures and the tranlucent whatchamabobs...

Also...nice archways :)

4 hours ago, Novaseer said:

Jokes aside, great work!

2 hours ago, guitardz said:

Yea @Aquila Chrysaetos tell us how to do these gradient signs and attenuated textures and the tranlucent whatchamabobs...

Also...nice archways :)

Attenuated lights, a specific type of dynamic light that functions a little differently from a standard point light. It's like a mix of additive and normal lights, and it dims differently. If it's on the floor or ceiling, it will appear much dimmer than when it's in mid air.

Spoiler

MAP0X_at_2019.01.03_08-06-30.767_R3041.j

This is what you'll see in the editor if you use GZDBuilder Bugfix. If not, I'd recommend moving over to it because GZDBuilder is far better than DBX for UDMF editing (and general mapping, in my opinion).

MAP0X_at_2019.01.03_08-06-50.947_R3041.j

Nested translucent textures are literally textures I made translucent (or see-through) and stacked, so there's a lot of them and they appear to be solid or make a more natural watery effect when dealing with liquids.

Spoiler

MAP0X_at_2019.01.03_08-13-11.340_R3041.j

To do this, I drew a shape I wanted, then used the stair builder tool to build "steps" 4 units deep, selected all the lines, gave them the waterfall texture, and set their alpha to be 0.15.

Most times, I use alpha 0.08, which is just visible enough to make the effect work without being opaque. This time I used 0.15 for what we're about to see.

MAP0X_at_2019.01.03_08-13-25.926_R3041.j

This is how it looks in-editor. That column of blue is all those translucent textures. They're at alpha 0.15, not 0.08 because the higher alpha makes them appear solid when they actually aren't.

Also nice misaligned texture I need to fix.

Screenshot_ZSDK_Placeholder_20190103_081

This is how it will look in-game if you step into the falls and look straight up. The falls aren't solid, they just look that way.

Screenshot_ZSDK_Placeholder_20190103_081

This is an example of the use of alpha 0.08. It makes the waterfall look nicer, but not completely solid, which, in my opinion, tends to look bad.

Sine gradients are somewhat difficult to explain, because it's more something you learn by using and playing with.

Spoiler

The first thing you need to understand is the tool you're using to do this.

While in sector mode, at the top of your toolbar, you'll see a field that will say linear next to a box that fades from black to white with an arrow pointing right.

To the right of that, you'll see two icons that look like steps.

The black-to-white box is the "gradiate light" tool, and the steps buttons are the "gradiate light" and "gradiate ceiling" tools. These are what I use to do this quickly.

MAP0X_at_2019.01.03_08-22-59.453_R3041.j

First, I draw this. Also, look at the top of my toolbar to see the fading black-to-white box and the "Linear" field. Because I'm not in sectors mode, the gradient floor and ceiling button aren't there.

Next, I take the two outermost sectors and lower their ceiling heights some. This will make the gradient work.

MAP0X_at_2019.01.03_08-23-16.078_R3041.j

Now, I change the "linear" field to "EaseInSine" using that little drop menu button. This will make it curve in a concave manner (or curve "out" instead of "in", which EaseOutSine would do).

Then I select the center sector, then the ones above it using the drag box dragging from the bottom to the top. The Builder will select the sectors in the order the box touches them, so the bottom selected sector is the first, the one above the second, the next the third, and etcetera.

Now, with the field up top saying "EaseInSine", I click the "Make ceiling heights gradient" button that my cursor is on in this shot.

Then, I assign the lines bridging the arch action 181: Plane Align and make them align the ceilings to the back.

MAP0X_at_2019.01.03_08-29-29.762_R3041.j

This should be the result. Then you repeat the process on the other side and you should have a nice little sine wave arch.

With some creativity and ingenuity, you can make the really long arched hallways, like you can see in the next shot.

MAP0X_at_2019.01.03_08-32-05.763_R3041.j

Play around with the tools some and see what you like. That EaseInSine gradient can bee applied to floors and lights, too, as is visible in the shot way above in the room with the light fixtures in the water room.

That was quite a bit to explain, especially with that last bit, but there's one more question I need to address.

12 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

Aquila when will we get to play that? :) Looks pretty snazzy.

I can't say for sure. This is the second map of about forty-five, but I will be releasing a small "demo" of sorts when I've got a few maps done, but that could be months away with the pace I'm moving at and the scale of these maps.

Quick glimpse at MAP00's and MAP0X's full Builder shots to get an idea of the scale.

Spoiler

map00_at_2018.12.19_08-58-51.788_R3041.j

MAP0X_at_2019.01.03_08-35-46.918_R3041.j

I will try to have something playable ready by the end of the year, but actual release of such a thing depends on me getting it done, when I get a stronger machine so I can actually complete some of these maps (because MAP00 itself requires at least 3 GB of RAM just to load, and is quite performance heavy in one of the optional areas, and a later map will inevitably be even bigger because of what I plan to do with it. Hope you like giant cities hanging off of mountains), and when OTEX is properly released, though that will probably be the first to pass, rather than the other two.

Also, addressing a note above, you'll very likely need a rather beefy machine to run this in its final state. The first map isn't actually finished because I haven't done any monster placement because mine is too weak to run it at a decent framerate (and nearly runs out of RAM loading it). I venture a guess at a "strong enough" computer being one that can run a map like Sunder MAP10 in ZDoom at 30+ fps and keep it there.

Finally, thanks for the comments, it's nice to know people are interested in the project.

@Aquila Chrysaetos I am not really sure I understand what those attenuated lights are. But I will try them out side by side and check myself.

Generally good tips, I reaaaally have to try that plane align out. I always make arches by dragging verteces but your way seems waaay quicker! 

1 hour ago, elend said:

I am not really sure I understand what those attenuated lights are.

Long story short: they are dynamic lights that use a more realistic formula for fall-off.

This isn't a directly-relevant link since it's not for GZDoom, but the pictures illustrate the concept: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Constant-Linear-Quadratic_Falloff

IIRC, the original dynlights in GZDoom use linear attenuation while the "attenuated" dynlights use quadratic (but without the boost that the Valve wiki talks about).

@guitardz Those ease-in and ease-out options in the gradient tool are really cool, you should definitely play around with them. Just select a bunch of stair-sectors, change the height of one and then apply that ease-in sine. You will see what happens.

10 hours ago, Cell said:

Go ahead, they said.
Dice1.png.1f510a26f2c96eb8ed1dc81bb9df105a.png
You cannot map dice using stock textures only, they said.
Dice2.png.689f752e5a15c1b2449fc8807c5fe6dd.png
Little did they know what I am capable of.
Dice3.png.8b9394af7b960a47c08e76c8d86160e4.png
Who's laffin' now, I ask.

Can you play pool on that other table in the background?