Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

1 hour ago, -TDRR- said:

How is this even possible?!

Noticed that middle textures are pretty much bound to the ceiling, so I made the sector a door that closes, which drags the middle textures downwards.

Edited by pc234

Got back to finishing an OS set of mine. Will be interesting to see into what the layout, started in late September, turns after some more development.

odgodjen.png

I was thinking of making some maps.

But then I went and made the silly mistake of looking at the last few pages on this thread.

Man. Astonishing what can be done in the Doom engine. Just amazing.

I think I'll leave mapping to the professionals. But I sure have plenty to look forward to in terms of levels to play. Love your work guys.

40 minutes ago, bLOCKbOYgAMES said:

But then I went and made the silly mistake of looking at the last few pages on this thread.

do it anyway man! it's a ton of fun, and everyone here started somewhere

+1

And not everyone wants to or can play the latest GzDoom WAD with all those fancy effects. Some just want a simple and well crafted vanilla map. 

A long time ago, I decided I was going to make some maps.  

unknown.png  

I have since changed my mind.

I actually feel like my mapping is not terrible in terms of architecture. Where I struggle is gameplay flow and progression. So my Doom maps are interesting to look at but are about as much fun as dental visits.

I feel like really good mappers 'see' Doom's gameplay in terms of a dance, or like chess, rather than as a 'story'. And the way that I think is very 'story-ish'. I think very linearly, rather than seeing all of the monsters and rooms as interconnected 'moves' in a grander game. I think that is why I can't make really good levels. 

That said, I really appreciate the encouragement. Thank you everyone.

Edited by bLOCKbOYgAMES

Found this old relic, while going through my old room at my mom's place.

A Doom 2 Guide by "Computer Game Review and CD-Rom Entertainment"

Computer Game Review was a print monthly magazine covering both computer gaming and video gaming. The magazine was started in 1991. Also known as Computer Game Review and 16-Bit Entertainment, and then later as Computer Game Review and CD-Rom Entertainment. The headquarters of the magazine which was part of Sendai Publication Group was in Lombard, Illinois.

Reviews typically consisted of a short, impartial synopsis of plot and gameplay, with separate scores assigned subjectively by each of three reviewers. Games were rated out of 100, and if the game received a high enough ranking it would receive either a Platinum or Golden Triad Award. The magazine folded in 1996, when Sendai Media Group was bought by Ziff-Davis, owner of the competing Computer Gaming World.

2019-05-17_00-25-53.897.jpg

2019-05-17_00-28-53.397.jpg

8 hours ago, bLOCKbOYgAMES said:

I feel like really good mappers 'see' Doom's gameplay in terms of a dance, or like chess, rather than as a 'story'. And the way that I think is very 'story-ish'. I think very linearly, rather than seeing all of the monsters and rooms as interconnected 'moves' in a grander game.

yeah, "a huge chessboard/dance hall" is what Doom is. ;-)

but hey, you aren't forced to think like this! you can create "story" maps instead, where player must clean up one section of the map, and then another section opens. it could be an interesting gameplay variation, and you can keep it under your "story-style" control. just an idea.

10 hours ago, Tango said:

maybe you feel this way currently - and maybe, like I'm sure myself and many others do, you'll never be 100% satisfied with where you're at - but I believe what you're talking about is just as much a learned/learnable skill as anything else. if you ask the right questions to knowledgeable folks around here, and play the game with a bit of mindfulness to discover what you really find "fun," I think you can very quickly develop this skill.

that said... I really do wish there was more good, digestible content re: creating fun gameplay in doom, and other various mapping-related topics. I feel like I've learned a lot the last few years about making something fun, but anytime I read the musings of some of the more analytical, experienced folks on these forums, it's clear to me that I still have a lot to learn and understand about gameplay. it would be incredible if there was a youtube channel with short 5 - 10 minute videos that analyzed and explained various doom maps/concepts. some example topics:

• gameplay analysis of <a specific map in some popular mapset> (gameplay style, progression overview, pacing, etc.)
  • overview of slaughter gameplay and what makes "good" slaughter
  • how to use <insert doom monster> effectively (which takes a look at various notable maps throughout the years and highlights specific usages of said monster)
  • critique of a newbie volunteer's first doom map (think like the VOD reviews that Jayne does in the Overwatch community)
  • overview of gameplay style trends in the community over the last X years
  • gameplay analysis of <some older megawad> vs <some modern megawad>
  • analysis of <some mapper>'s style (how they establish a sense of place, how their layouts and geometry affect gameplay, etc.)
  • etc.

someone plz make videos like this, i'll subscribe to your patreon

This post by rdwpa has some useful stuff..   https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/1777107

But that said, more stuff like what you said would be great. The fact that you have just randomly without too much thought (I assume) listed 8 different points shows how much this forum thinkis about these things. Getting into the psychology of what makes great gameplay. I guess that, at its foundation, great gameplay, and great level design is like great art. It provokes an internal response. Fear, delight, a desire to progress, feeling like a kid in a candy store, enjoying the ambience of a level, feeling 'smart' because you figured out a puzzle or found a secret, feeling 'tough' because you survived a badass encounter, these are all examples of the mapper giving the player a good 'experience'.

Obviously 'bad' experiences include boredom, getting lost, being punished randomly without understanding why, game rules that are not consistent (for example a lava floor that is damaging in one place but not in another), being overwhelmed (Yes Sunder you know I'm talking about you,) or completing a level without feeling that sense of accomplishment, of overcoming a challenge etc etc

But now here is the thing. All these experiences I listed as bad can be really good too. For example, walking around bored because no monsters or no challenging encounters. Suddenly, trap. But the player was not caught off guard because they were ready. Yes! Player feels good! But if the map goes from too easy to too hard, this is probably bad. Being punished randomly but still surviving can give you a powerful rush of "F*^&% your stoopid map, I beat it anyway." Fear is a good thing, in moderation. Overcoming a moderate fear is powerful. Overcoming a lot of fear is more powerful, but there is a higher likelihood of failure, which is usually a negative feeling.

So good gameplay cannot be too easy or too hard (unless you are Sunder.) but has to be juuust right. But sometimes too easy or too hard can also be juuuust right too. Go figure.

Thanks for the encouragement.

8 hours ago, ketmar said:

yeah, "a huge chessboard/dance hall" is what Doom is. ;-)

but hey, you aren't forced to think like this! you can create "story" maps instead, where player must clean up one section of the map, and then another section opens. it could be an interesting gameplay variation, and you can keep it under your "story-style" control. just an idea.

Agreed totally. But here is the thing again. The 'story' to me is like the strategic aspect of the level, eg 'F*^& it, I am going to go to war with Russia'. This is the 'why' of the level. I feel I am good at this part. But how do I invade Russia? Do I walk across the border armed with a stick, or should I raise an army of millions and remember to bring a bazillion pairs of thermal underwear, and probably maybe some guns, or do I surf all the way to Moscow, riding on the desecrated corpse of Zeus? This is like the 'how' part. I am only moderately ok at this part. (This is the flow of the level, room layout, general ideas about progression etc etc) Then finally there is the tactical part. Every hill, every mountain, every river, every enemy division, every tank and plane and fuel depot has to be dealt with. (This is the placement of monsters and monster closets, health and armor pickups, when to introduce what weapons, how much ammo, do you give chainsaw or berserk early or late or not at all, hitscan vs projectile monsters etc etc.) This is where my mapping kind of falls apart I think.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I agree that story driven maps, maps that have a 'reason' are awesome. But the journey to achieve the reason is probably just as important I think.

@Lila Feuer yay! i have models and brightmaps paks, something makes k8vavoom look GREAT ;-) but i have no web site, so nowhere to upload.

but thank you alot for trying k8vavoom. 'cmon, people, k8vavoom is the best sourceport. and we have cookies!

On 6/1/2019 at 5:21 AM, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Been gradually plucking away at a project, thought I'd poke my head in with a few screenshots. Have a good day, everyone!

bloodrite.png

mirrors2.png

redhaven2.png

shellshock2.png

sunkentomb2.png

Looks really good!

Two screens from map 23 of "Survive in Hell" made by JCD. It's my favourite and the most memorable map with its tall cavernous architecture and its epic music.

doom48.png

doom49.png

@E1M1 That's awesome, I loved Star Wars: Dark Forces. I hadn't played it since I was a wee lad and I discovered it was on Steam about a year ago, picked it up and had a blast. It was just as good as I remembered. Would love to see a Dark Forces inspired Doom wad! The trash monster (little tentacle thing that pokes out of the water) can be downloaded from realm667. I wonder if any of the other enemies from that game exist anywhere. Would love to see where you take that idea, though!

Nothing really spectacular yet, but I'm working on an atmosphere-heavy Doom64 thing with some spooky wall graffiti!

Wkcatdu.jpg

On 6/1/2019 at 2:21 PM, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Been gradually plucking away at a project, thought I'd poke my head in with a few screenshots. Have a good day, everyone!

bloodrite.png

mirrors2.png

redhaven2.png

shellshock2.png

sunkentomb2.png

Wonderful