Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

Recommended Posts

I registered for this site a long time ago but I don't remember if I made many posts or not. My old password worked so I didn't have to make a new account though.
I've been getting back into DooM and mapping in particular. I don't think I ever released or even showed any of my mapping attempts to anybody either.

Here's some screenshots from a (so-far) vanilla-compatible map I'm working on. I say it's vanilla-compatible but I've started the layout of new areas and there are some visplane overflows, especially outdoors, so it's going to almost certainly end up being for a limit-removing port.

Does this look alright for a first map? I tried to avoid some of the more common problems with beginning mappers, such as having rectangular rooms joined by narrow corridors and no variations in sector heights. I haven't really done much with thing placement so most of my testing involves looking for map bugs and making sure everything looks tolerable.

Mapping is definitely a very creative process. If I'm inspired I can just draw all kinds of things in 15 minutes, but other times I'll sit there for an hour staring at the editor not sure what to add.

Share this post


Link to post
Z0k said:

dunno why even im barely started the underground labs map i like how look this small corridor:


Is this for Doom 64 EX? Looks really good, can't wait to see more!

Share this post


Link to post
Piper Maru said:

Is this for Doom 64 EX? Looks really good, can't wait to see more!


yeah its the 5th map of my wad for doom64ex. i still working on the layout for this map.

Share this post


Link to post
Tosi said:

I registered for this site a long time ago but I don't remember if I made many posts or not. My old password worked so I didn't have to make a new account though.
I've been getting back into DooM and mapping in particular. I don't think I ever released or even showed any of my mapping attempts to anybody either.

Here's some screenshots from a (so-far) vanilla-compatible map I'm working on. I say it's vanilla-compatible but I've started the layout of new areas and there are some visplane overflows, especially outdoors, so it's going to almost certainly end up being for a limit-removing port.

Does this look alright for a first map? I tried to avoid some of the more common problems with beginning mappers, such as having rectangular rooms joined by narrow corridors and no variations in sector heights. I haven't really done much with thing placement so most of my testing involves looking for map bugs and making sure everything looks tolerable.

Mapping is definitely a very creative process. If I'm inspired I can just draw all kinds of things in 15 minutes, but other times I'll sit there for an hour staring at the editor not sure what to add.

I think it looks good, apart from some blatantly misaligned STARTAN texture in the first screenshot, and occasional jarring clash of different colors/materials touching each other without any border. Anyway, aesthetically more than alright for a first map! Make sure to put just as much effort to creating fun gameplay.

Share this post


Link to post
Tosi said:

Here's some screenshots from a (so-far) vanilla-compatible map I'm working on. I say it's vanilla-compatible but I've started the layout of new areas and there are some visplane overflows, especially outdoors, so it's going to almost certainly end up being for a limit-removing port.

Does this look alright for a first map? I tried to avoid some of the more common problems with beginning mappers, such as having rectangular rooms joined by narrow corridors and no variations in sector heights. I haven't really done much with thing placement so most of my testing involves looking for map bugs and making sure everything looks tolerable.

Mapping is definitely a very creative process. If I'm inspired I can just draw all kinds of things in 15 minutes, but other times I'll sit there for an hour staring at the editor not sure what to add.


Welcome (back) to the joys of mapping! You've got a total post count of 12, but nobody really cares about post counts here, but rather, people value good content in your posts.

I checked out the screenshots, and I am impressed! I wish my early mapping attempts were closer to this.

Keep up the good work!

---------

Some work for WolfenDoom:







---------

Merry christmas everyone. All the best to you all! :)

Share this post


Link to post
scifista42 said:

I think it looks good, apart from some blatantly misaligned STARTAN texture in the first screenshot, and occasional jarring clash of different colors/materials touching each other without any border. Anyway, aesthetically more than alright for a first map! Make sure to put just as much effort to creating fun gameplay.


Thanks. I didn't even notice the texture misalignment, probably from having stared at that wall so much. I'll try to work on the textures clashing later, once I have the main layout done. As for gameplay, I'm going for a "first level in a megawad" style gameplay where the bestiary is mostly zombies and imps, with a few demons and maybe a cacodemon or a hell knight on the higher difficulties. I did have some monsters placed earlier, but after test-playing it a few times it felt kind of bland. I think part of the problem is that the map isn't connected enough, so it's too easy to just hide behind a doorway and pick off enemies as they walk towards you. I'm going to try adding more windows and ledges for enemies to use to target the player later.

Dragonfly said:

Welcome (back) to the joys of mapping! You've got a total post count of 12, but nobody really cares about post counts here, but rather, people value good content in your posts.

I checked out the screenshots, and I am impressed! I wish my early mapping attempts were closer to this.

Keep up the good work!

GZDoombuilder makes doing things like texture alignment, drawing non-rectangular shapes, making stairs, and ensuring your door-track sidedefs are lower unpegged a lot easier than other editors I tried, so even a first attempt can end up alright. I've also been playing through a lot of good (and some bad) maps, taking screenshots and notes as to what looks good, what are some common structures used to portray a certain object or atmosphere, what makes for good gameplay etc. It's surprising how you can find misaligned textures, HOMs, and other errors even in great maps once you start looking for that kind of stuff. I never noticed those kinds of things when I was just playing the levels for fun.

Share this post


Link to post

Not a fan of pure slaughter in an arena filled with nearly 2200 monsters? Take a shot at this lovely platforming section instead! (I thought it would be cool to give the players a choice as to how they would prefer to be tried, that said, neither path is really that easy!)


(image linked for 1080p goodness)

Share this post


Link to post

Wait a minute...

*Whips off Rayzik's mask*

It's Old Man Ribbiks! Up to your usual tricks, are you!?






:P

Share this post


Link to post
Rayzik said:

Not a fan of pure slaughter in an arena filled with nearly 2200 monsters? Take a shot at this lovely platforming section instead! (I thought it would be cool to give the players a choice as to how they would prefer to be tried, that said, neither path is really that easy!)

http://imgur.com/L5zKhFL
(image linked for 1080p goodness)

Do we get to activate a crusher to eliminate all the monsters in the arena if we complete the platforming course? Otherwise there's only one way to max the map.

Share this post


Link to post
Gez said:

Do we get to activate a crusher to eliminate all the monsters in the arena if we complete the platforming course? Otherwise there's only one way to max the map.


Currently there's not such a switch, since the whole idea of the course is to bypass the arena entirely. Plus it wouldn't be any fun if a speed and max demo were both the same minus a switch press.

Although NM100S is the real impossible challenge, as there is a secret sector past the entrance to the platform section. Yay for demo variety?

Share this post


Link to post

Here are a couple of editing screenshots, of a WIP in Eternity. Unfortunately whenever I post pictures and get feedback I feel so accomplished that I stop progress. But I'll try to avoid this problem.

Share this post


Link to post

After more playtesting on The NIGHTMARE! Palace, I'm finally getting to work on MAP666, Diablo's Pond (Secret Level)

I just got started.

Share this post


Link to post

Fantastic stuff, everyone.

antares031 said:

Just finished testing:

http://puu.sh/maamZ/6034120e44.png


I have such a soft spot for Eternal Doom. I spent so much time with it, and it was so pleasant thanks to the consistent theme throughout the megawad, the unique atmosphere and incredible soundtrack. Is this map for the Ty Halderman-tribute project?

Share this post


Link to post



So I tried to restart my map(which I posted few pictures of months ago) from scratch.
This is all I managed to do. A single room, the start place. Probably few more years and there gonna be a second room behind that door.

Share this post


Link to post

some highres 16:19 screenshots of my newest map I finished:
http://imgur.com/a/4ofrD

PM me if you want to play it, but be aware, avj.wad should be playable for you, since this one is more difficult.

edit: @walter confalonieri, true it is misplaced, I plan to replace it with something cosmoligical... maybe a black sky with stars or galaxies. hud & sprites will also be replaced

Share this post


Link to post
DMPhobos said:

Almost finished, i've been working hard to get this map completed before the new year...

http://i.imgur.com/fSm6xSK.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/XeBzmXF.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/EIWkcFA.png

I like the color scheme "brown metal + grey/silver techbase tiles + colorful enemies and occasional detail". It should help to draw player's primary attention to the important things - enemies to fight and landmarks for navigation - while keeping the rest of the environment visually pleasing and unified.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×