Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

I keep reading about "fake contrast"... what do you mean, in other technical terms: "Raycasting" (darkening in the distance), as introduced already in "Blake Stone"?

Obsidian said:

http://oi61.tinypic.com/ao6pno.jpg

I'm sorry but this looks comical to me because Doom already has candles which are a lot smaller, so those are just weird.

Memfis said:

I'm sorry but this looks comical to me because Doom already has candles which are a lot smaller, so those are just weird.

Hey, it's not supposed to be realistic. :P There are smaller candles in the same style, but I like the big ones. Besides, the Doom candles hardly look like candles anyway.

Obsidian said:

Hey, it's not supposed to be realistic. :P

I'd have thought the fact that half of them are upside-down would have given that away!

Obsidian said:

[img]http://oi61.tinypic.com/ao6pno.jpg[img]

I like this room.

Diggin it, but I think I'd like it even better without the upside down ones, actually.

darkreaver said:

Diggin it, but I think I'd like it even better without the upside down ones, actually.

+1

So, new thread...guess I'll have to post a pic of an old map then. Still working on this piece of shit:

Great color scheme, there, Darkreaver. Goes great with the sky.

Fiery red/black will eternally have its proponents, surely, but the colder end of the color spectrum has always appealed more to me.

Superluigieth1 said:

But, I have a screenie.

2big4page

The sign could have looked much better if the SHAWN texture was vertically aligned with floor and ceiling - I mean, the "darkest" part at the top, the "brightest" part in the middle, then again the "darkest" part at the bottom.

Thanks for the feedback! That was just a test, but I was developing a map and I stopped making it.

Just gave myself a headache trying to figure out how to use the 'change to brightest/darkest' lines with sectors with gradient lighting - the reason being I want to draw the player's attention to small corner of a big room, since a small 'eye' switch emerges there, and I don't want them to miss it, so I thought I'd have the lights go from off to on.
Seems to work okay (link as the gif is a bit big).

Strange concept, but it seems awesome :D

There are many nice screens on the new thread :>

I post too a little screen x)

^That room looks really cool. All I'll say is that the screenshot begs to be in at least a slightly higher resolution. ;)

@franckFRAG That color scheme is absolutely sublime. The low resolution really brings the architecture to life (and probably cuts down on filesize, too). @RNGPSY Didn't Bioshock Infinite have such things? Oh, and.

She ain't gonna die.

Jaxxoon R said:

@franckFRAG The low resolution really brings the architecture to life (and probably cuts down on filesize, too).

Heh. But seriously: What?

The screenshots are nice, all of them recently posted. FranckFRAG's love for red+black and extraordinary textures is a known fact. :)

scifista42 said:

Heh. But seriously: What?

I've said this many times I think but imo: lower resolution makes the fact that the textures and sprites are just pieces of cardboard a lot less noticeable. Less actual details = more details in your head, etc.

Memfis said:

I've said this many times I think but imo: lower resolution makes the fact that the textures and sprites are just pieces of cardboard a lot less noticeable. Less actual details = more details in your head, etc.

Makes sense. Lower resolution also makes bad texturing more forgivable, that's a known fact to me. Alright.

I find that double Vanilla resolution is pretty good. As, although it doesn't have quite as strong an effect, Windows 7 fucking hates anything lower. Like I accidentally hit the windows key and can't even move the damn mouse. The I gotta open up Task Manager, navigate with the keyboard, and close GZDoom. I hate it.

I ran out of ideas so here are shots of random WIP crap that I don't even know how I made: