Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

It looks like animated textures on the lower walls to cast off a kind of reflection to me, but I suppose it does look a bit like steam as well. Also, I totally didn't notice the actual gentle ripples in the water the first time around, but those look really good as well. Can't wait to play the level 40!

AD: that shot looks utterly fantastic. Great use of sector detail to make such an elaborate sturcture. Coloring is fantastic and of course who can't love some midtex crosses ^^

AD_79 that looks excellent! I always love seeing new colors in Doom, especially pinks and purples.

40oz said:

After like 20 hours of editing i finally got that gentle ripple in the water I wanted.

http://i.imgur.com/t0RgBiZ.gif

Wasn't there an effect similar to this in DN3D, where the liquid is reflected up on the walls like that? I always wanted to attempt something like that in Doom. You did an awesome job here!

*edit*

Oh wait, is that effect the faux-transparent floor thing? Now that I'm looking at it again, its hard to tell :P

Gez said:

Using the "glass floor" trick to get these walls drawn below the water surface?

I think it's just animated textures: 40oz was asking in #doomtwid earlier how to insert extra frames into vanilla animation, so I'm guessing this is what he was asking about.

@40oz Lovin' it! Always liked clever vanilla stuff.

I think Piper Maru might be relying on symmetry a bit much. I know it's very tempting to make areas this way since it's easier, but sometimes you just have to try a bit harder!

Yeah the facades with almost identical tree rocks on both sides is somewhat unnatural, although it might have quite a lot of humor value if the next area is just like it, but with three and four trees. :D

Obsidian said:

I think it's just animated textures: 40oz was asking in #doomtwid earlier how to insert extra frames into vanilla animation, so I'm guessing this is what he was asking about.

That's for the pool's surface; I'm talking about the brown walls that appear to be below the floor surface.

AFAIK there's only two ways to get walls drawn below the floor: a midtex offset hack that only works with Doom's original software renderer; and using some sort of 3D floor or portal effect that will require a port with such advanced feature. Knowing 40oz I'm guessing it's the former.

The ripple effect in question is the water surface on the floor itself, but the water is 64 units below the floor and what you're seeing is an animating water reflection texture on the walls.

This is what happens when you try to load Brutal Doom above any other mod that shouldn't be combined. A friggin tree in my HUD.

I've become particular enamoured with super-hi-res textures recently (1024x20124 or higher). You have to scale them to 12 times smaller than they render naturally to make them fit. I just think they look so pretty!

Makes it hard to go back to stock resolution textures after a while.

Speaking of vaporwave: the corresponding community of Reddit quite loves Ancient Aliens. A shot from one of the space station levels was comparably satisfying for them, at least.

Source.

Not all subreddits are about long, extended discussions. Some, including this one, are focusing on content sharing, and judging it by down- and upvotes.

And I honestly didn't expect almost 50 upvotes.

ClumsyDoomer said:

Were those glitch effects implemented manually? Looks awesome, especially that SP_FACE or whatever it is.

Er, sort of.
I wrote some software to do some things.