Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

Recommended Posts

I'd like to congratulate joe on realizing that what D5M1 really needed was some random FIREBLU.

Share this post


Link to post
Dragonfly said:

Considering the bottom-of-the-barrel '94 era shit you put out with absolutely no thought towards the quality (in terms of both visuals and gameplay), I'd keep quiet if I were you.

To everyone else, thank you. :D


AMEN!

Share this post


Link to post

Well joe-ilya isn't completely wrong imo. That's a nice showcase of features yes, but on a flat and copypasted area. But mostly I don't like the look, those textures put together are jarring (the yellow dome, the brick pillars, and the walls).

Share this post


Link to post
Dragonfly said:

Considering the bottom-of-the-barrel '94 era shit you put out with absolutely no thought towards the quality (in terms of both visuals and gameplay), I'd keep quiet if I were you.

To everyone else, thank you. :D

So I give you constructive feedback and you come back telling me that I suck and shouldn't give feedback, I'm thankful to what Doomworld achieved.

FuzzballFox said:

See it was cool to hate on Joe-Ilya before, then that kind of died down a bit...now he's just being a douchehole about things so I'm guessing that hate is going to return again...especially with a shitty attitude like that!

So all this time you were following a dumb self-imposed trend?

antares031 said:

Still working on the level for DMP2016. About 75% done:

Now this is what I'm talking about!
Strong colour scheme, cozyness, wackyness, a layout that isn't a stupid square. Perfect!

Share this post


Link to post
joe-ilya said:

And stop saying "It's worse", because it's the almost the same map because I didn't feel like extending this one as it's MAP01.

Oh it's worse, but this is the first time I'm saying it. It looks terrible. You're editing the most notorious DM map in history, you tag it with your own name, but you don't want to change it too much, so this is the best you came up with? Reverting the outside to a more map01-ish look and adding a hilariously stupid fireblu waterfall? Shuffling items around? No, that's a tasteless joke.

You may be doing what plutonia, pl2 and prcp do in map32 with the other maps and I shall be there to pass judgment once the project is released, but here you're simply reskinning an iconic map (badly) and repopulating it for single player (I assume). I probably spent more time writing this post than it took you to do your edits. Cheap, lazy, 0 stars.

This is constructive criticism, btw.

Share this post


Link to post

Joe, whatever points you might have had were ignored because you delivered them in a dismissive snarky tone: the fact that you had some sort of point is irrelevant now. On top of that, your feedback definitely was not constructive in the slightest: constructive feedback gives suggestions and tips, whereas yours boiled down to "Ew, make an ACTUAL map with all that fancy detail!". Good manners cost nothing: bad manners on the other hand cost you a fair amount.

Share this post


Link to post
Dragonfly said:

Considering the bottom-of-the-barrel '94 era shit you put out with absolutely no thought towards the quality (in terms of both visuals and gameplay), I'd keep quiet if I were you.

To everyone else, thank you. :D


This is unnecessary and really out of line. Seriously, wtf.

The typical JI piling-on is pretty lame tbh. His comment really isn't so douchey at all and makes a fair point (whether one agrees with it or not). He is not completely in the clear -- the D5M1 modification either betrays a lack of self-awareness or is a joke that flew over everyone's heads -- but it's a bad look when adult-age people are so willing to dogpile him.

Share this post


Link to post
rdwpa said:

This is unnecessary and really out of line. Seriously, wtf.

The typical JI piling-on is pretty lame tbh. His comment really isn't so douchey at all and makes a fair point (whether one agrees with it or not). He is not completely in the clear -- the D5M1 modification either betrays a lack of self-awareness or is a joke that flew over everyone's heads -- but it's a bad look when adult-age people are so willing to dogpile him.

No, fuck this shit. Joe has been irrationally defended more than anyone else would. Other kids his age were losered and banned for a tenth of his rude bullshit. He was the clown of the class and got away with way too much. The entire joe ilya tuneup project was half-ironic, half-extended helping hand and it flew completely over his head, he just bragged about the outcome. Anyone can criticize, even people who make terrible maps - but it's insufferable when you uncritically defend your terrible shit AND dump on other people's work. Just no.

Share this post


Link to post

@Antares Love the theme you've got going there, although maybe that's just because I really like PANBOOK. :P Blue and brown go pretty well together.

Share this post


Link to post
dew said:

Oh it's worse, but this is the first time I'm saying it. It looks terrible. You're editing the most notorious DM map in history, you tag it with your own name, but you don't want to change it too much, so this is the best you came up with? Reverting the outside to a more map01-ish look and adding a hilariously stupid fireblu waterfall? Shuffling items around? No, that's a tasteless joke.

You may be doing what plutonia, pl2 and prcp do in map32 with the other maps and I shall be there to pass judgment once the project is released, but here you're simply reskinning an iconic map (badly) and repopulating it for single player (I assume). I probably spent more time writing this post than it took you to do your edits. Cheap, lazy, 0 stars.

This is constructive criticism, btw.

You haven't seen enough of the map to give me a big picture of what the entire map is, and you're not really giving me any constructive critism, you're just bashing me because I modified a map that initally modified another map and it's not up to your visions when everyone has their own.
Don't throw two paragraphs at me and tell me it's constructive, that's not how it works, half of the content is filled with insults and dares, I will however make the waterfall, a normal waterfall, thanks for the suggestion.

What a load of superfriendship.

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, I don't see anything rude about this specific comment. Certainly doesn't look like he's taking a "dump" on Dragonfly's work; some variant of "this is just a box with frills" has been posted on these boards countless times, with equally blunt phrasing. I think this is a case of JI's name and history eliciting a disproportionate reaction.

Memfis said:

I like looking at things like this.

http://i.imgur.com/1B7bRBL.png


The sector lettering reminds me of the exiy area in this bare layout of mine.

Share this post


Link to post
rdwpa said:

Yeah, I don't see anything rude about this specific comment. Certainly doesn't look like he's taking a dump on Dragonfly's work; some variant of "this is just a box with frills" has been posted on these boards countless times, with equally blunt phrasing. I think this is a case of JI's name and history eliciting a disproportionate reaction.

Oh sure, he might have had a point if he didn't just post one of the most superfluous, pointless, laziest, poorest screenshots in this entire thread. There's exactly no effort at all in it, absolute zero, bottom of the barrel. It is laughably arrogant and I'm afraid joe doesn't even realize it. He defends it, ffs. He needs a wake-up call right now.

Share this post


Link to post
dew said:

stuff

You call others rude, but have you ever looked in the mirror? It's a non-issue, stop getting so offended. If you really think it's so shit, just ignore it.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm sorry you don't like it, I can't do anything besides completely modifying it to the point where it's a completely unrecognizable layout with the charm it had on me, I hope you'll like the next maps more.

I posted two more pictures of dwango modifications before this one, take a look, they're probably more to your liking.

Share this post


Link to post
Blastfrog said:

You call others rude, but have you ever looked in the mirror? It's a non-issue, stop getting so offended. If you really think it's so shit, just ignore it.


When it's a particularly large and fresh turd, and totally missed the bowl and is just sitting on the floor, ignoring it is going to make the problem worse

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, fair enough, my reply was indeed too far. My map is a simple rectangle at its core. I think if it was not Joe who said that I would have reacted differently.

I'd like to clarify that my intolerance for Joe has been entirely based on my own personal opinion of him - based on his mapping, but mostly his posts / personality. However, the fact there is an underlying trend of hating on him only emphasizes the fact that he is often a problem.

Joe really irks me with his classlessly presented statements such as 'I think your map/music taste/opinion/etc is shit' combined with his self-entitled spoiled brat attitude.

I'll stop there, no need to continue on. I'm sure there's numerous reasons Joe or other people dislike me and I would rather this discussion doesn't derail this thread any further. If you want to discuss any of the above with me, please PM me.

Sorry I snapped.

Merry Christmas everyone, have a good one!

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't say you suck (or anyone else's anything), but you said I suck and now you insult me further for no reason.

Not the hottest shit in the woods, but here's another map, no comparison here because this is mostly made from scratch, and if you don't like how low on detail this is, just remember, the DRAWSEGs were already kicking in.

Share this post


Link to post

With those square domes on the ceiling, the map has to have right angles, but it does not have to be a square. You could make it any of the shapes from Tetris, like a + shape for example, or something even more complicated.

Also, it looks awesome! It is hard to recognize it as the Doom engine.

Share this post


Link to post
joe-ilya said:

Are you just testing out textures and Zdoom features?
This is just a square room with a fancy ceiling, if you'd put all this fancy ness into an actual layout I'd fully appreciate it.

I dig how those arches break up traditional views on orthogonal design in Doom. I think this scene would be even more awesome if the X/Y planes expressed the same. Jan Van Der Veken (via John Romero) championed these sort of abstract constructs that were a tangent of real world traditional design but have been seen as an advantage of the Doom engine.

I built a similar room back in 2004 but haven't released it as I had the same thought process. But at the same time - don't be a dick? Everyone in this forum is just creating stuff in our free time. We're all part of an obscure interest group with no reason to create superficial divisions.

Jägermörder 3 will come out in 2017:

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×