Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

Killing your eyes... Too bad the green and red have to fade to darkness with the same color. Fitting a dark green, and keeping all the current colors, would result in stupid color ramps or just have too few shades. This could also work with colors selected from the EGA palette.

oX8DBhR.png

10 minutes ago, TwinBeast said:

Too bad the green and red have to fade to darkness with the same color.

I think it works well. Unless you really wanted some dark green textures.

Joe you should considier using something like the wooden fence texture in gothmash or something instead of steptop which looks pretty bad.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

You can, on the condition the credit is, simply, "heh".

I genuinely am going to do this now.  And I don't mean just the skull image, I'm using the entire screengrab as a texture.

5 hours ago, Marcaek said:

Joe you should considier using something like the wooden fence texture in gothmash or something instead of steptop which looks pretty bad.

STEP2 then?

Yesterday I have written texture generator. Input data are material mask, images of materials, rules for specularity/shadowing, shadow map and height map. Program is still raw and a lot of things are hardcoded, but this was first time I was satisfied with my own texture. Now I can make a nice original texture in approx 15-20 minutes (with reserve). Here is an example:

2exu2hk.jpg

9 hours ago, Gez said:

k3HM39r.png

The obvious next step was, of course, the eraser.

Eraser is probably the most useful sprite editing tool you could add outside of recolouring etc.

Any idea when this release is due? :)

5 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Eraser is probably the most useful sprite editing tool you could add outside of recolouring etc.

Official release, I don't know, but I'll probably put a test build soon. I've gotten all the main tools I wanted to get in. Can you guess what the mystery tool does?

IxRvDme.png

It's not just a teaser, it's also a legit question because I'm not sure how to make an intuitive icon for that.

40 minutes ago, Gez said:

Can you guess what the mystery tool does?

It's not just a teaser, it's also a legit question because I'm not sure how to make an intuitive icon for that.

I'm no graphic designer so I can't make an educated guess, but as an uneducated one... not sure I'm afraid! Perhaps some kind of transparent drawing tool (as oppose to the pen icon, which is an opaque one)?

Or is it the color picker tool?

41 minutes ago, Gez said:

Can you guess what the mystery tool does? [...] I'm not sure how to make an intuitive icon for that.

If it has something to do with "color translation", I suggest an icon like this:

VPKAh5y.png

@GezBeen waiting for that draw tool for Slade... every now and then there's a texture that gets an area that could be different color, but is the same color as something else... and then the color remapping would color both areas to the new color. Does it also have a flood fill?

@scifista42nearest exit on the right...

1 hour ago, scifista42 said:

If it has something to do with "color translation", I suggest an icon like this:

VPKAh5y.png

I thought about that (in fact if you paid attention you might have seen a previous arrow-based icon on the eraser picture); however I want something that looks like a tool, not like an effect that'll apply to the entire image. It's still something that'll only affect the pixels you click on.

5 hours ago, TwinBeast said:

Does it also have a flood fill?

No, not yet. At the moment, it just looks at where you clicked, see which pixel it corresponds to, and changes that. More advanced features (such as brushes, floodfill, selections...) may come later; for now you just have to click each pixel individually.

12 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I've now uploaded a test build here; it's the one named "3.1.2_Alpha".

32 minutes ago, Gez said:

I've now uploaded a test build here; it's the one named "3.1.2_Alpha".

Had a play around, nice additions!  The color translation tool is especially cool, but it is the kind of feature you instinctively want to apply to more than one pixel at a time.  A "click and hold to draw" effect and brush sizes seem like the obvious next step.

One small weird thing I noticed: when you select one of the new tools and the cursor changes to that tool's icon, whenever you move the mouse a pixel it flips back to the basic windows cursor for a single frame.  So moving the mouse across the images causes a rapid flicker between the tool cursor and Windows cursor, which is a bit trippy!

I'm trying this on Win 7 by the way, if that makes any difference.

26 minutes ago, lupinx-Kassman said:

mHtyRzD.gif

Is that a sideways scrolling mostly transparent midtexture? That's seriously cool!

They do slightly look like pork chops to me though. :)

On 22/03/2017 at 7:18 PM, NinjaLiquidator said:

Yesterday I have written texture generator. Input data are material mask, images of materials, rules for specularity/shadowing, shadow map and height map. Program is still raw and a lot of things are hardcoded, but this was first time I was satisfied with my own texture. Now I can make a nice original texture in approx 15-20 minutes (with reserve). Here is an example:

2exu2hk.jpg

I am beginning to wonder if something similar could be invented for generating things sprites.

That's pretty mad haha, pork chops or blood cells, who cares? I'm looking forward to seeing this in game for sure.

@Gez I'll take a look-see at that build if I get a chance, should be really nice. Are you open to feature suggestions as well as bug reports?