Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

One thing people seemed to not understand when playing Skulldash 1.0 is if Jumping and Crouching was 'allowed' or not. Well, the new and improved tutorial puts that question to rest in a forceful yet pleasant way. ;)

166d35b5b7ab79a920240ac4d805c79c.png

16 hours ago, Crunchynut44 said:

I love it when a map layout practically draws itself. Roughly only 2 hours work!

Impressive after a relatively short time.

An older WIP gathering dust until I figure out and finish item placement for it.

lFMFXxd.jpg

khLWB32.jpg

SRHDLIo.jpg

Sorry for double post, but the previous post is a few hours old, so it seems odd to edit it:

I've finished updating Level 04 of Skulldash. This icy, cavernous level has had a massive improvement over it's previously released version!

5tHPrJA.jpg

dlsWsv8.jpgOBylHcZ.jpg

H6GhrKS.jpg

Spoiler

This is the area of the map that was deleted; it wasn't awful but it wasn't fun to play nor did it look very good compared to the first half of the map.

rrYAQ1M.jpg

kL3qTFT.jpg

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the maps. Left is old, right is new. The part that's changed & grown is the bottom left 'half' of the map.

vYJKbXk.png

4 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the maps. Left is old, right is new. The part that's changed & grown is the bottom left '

Cool stuff, it's a damn shame 3.0 is taking this long...

5 hours ago, Marcaek said:

Cool stuff, it's a damn shame 3.0 is taking this long...

I've ported it to GZDoom now. I hope it will work in Zandronum 3.0 when it's released, but its been in development for years now! :p

I really like those shots Dragonfly

HVyKHZj.png

We've been fooling around with GZDoom Doom 64 light style, it's really great for enhancing the atmosphere

@Dragonfly I'd make the text bright in the tutorial signs. Could be a little brighter anyway.

I played Hexen through with every character... here's some pics...

Silly ettins wouldn't walk downstairs... the fighter has very long arms.

t4E6J3U.png

Silly ettins couldn't reach the cleric when standing on the table...

OznmDKh.png

Centaurs become a joke enemy here... the mage is so efficient with mana that he doesn't even need it.

29nEQDk.png

Centaurs are helpless against the pig...

piby9Ct.png

16 hours ago, DMPhobos said:

We've been fooling around with GZDoom Doom 64 light style, it's really great for enhancing the atmosphere

The Doom 3 style textures seem to work well with Doom 64's lighting style.

32 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

The Doom 3 style textures seem to work well with Doom 64's lighting style.

Of course it does!!! we have tested this before with our current projects but using Doom 3 textures, I don't know anything about Doom 3 style textures. We have a couple maps still unfinished, they will be used for future WADs

Fmy1WU6.png

Making the MAP02 of my WIP Abhorrence. Layout not finalized yet, hence no gameplay / automap shots yet.

Here's are a couple of screenshots showing the monsters in action:

etrn15.png

etrn17.png

The bottom area here is accessed by an edge portal:

etrn22.png

Haha, how adorable! ^

I've nothing visual to show for today's efforts, a lot of file management, image and audio optimisations in favour of file-size, map importing etc. :)

I did, in other news, help build a friend's PC today. £1,100 build. The smile on hes face when it beeped it's first ever POST was worth the effort of building it for him!

6 hours ago, Memfis said:

Excited for Riot Control 2.

Definitely follows the same choice of textures, not meant to be a sequel, but who knows. I've been checking out the maps in that project, I still think that its one of my best projects I made to this date. Still remember Riot Control started out as nothing serious, I was just goofing around with the Quake textures. But managed to create 4 maps in the end. Times change however, getting a map finished isn't as easy as it used to be. Dutch is getting older and priorities shift elsewhere :) But mapping is still fun today no matter the age.

When I first started mapping recently I was never quite sure which theme I felt most comfortable sticking to. I've discovered that I am influenced by Doom 64 and Doom 3 tech bases. I've never released any maps because I don't think they're original or bring anything new to the table. I usually just end up deleting them, but this time I stuck with it. I do however find mapping to be great! It's very relaxing and it's nice to exercise some creativity. The very first thing I made was a square STARTAN room and thought to myself "now what?" I studied Linguica's Vanilla Level Editing tutorial and went from there.

Spoiler

b1fcNri.png

Q0elnnF.png

zoMoE07.png

UO5dMuW.png

kFBtGo7.png

Z6y8CZ5.png

4 hours ago, Piper Maru said:

I've never released any maps because I don't think they're original or bring anything new to the table.

Reveal hidden contents

b1fcNri.png

Q0elnnF.png

zoMoE07.png

UO5dMuW.png

kFBtGo7.png

Z6y8CZ5.png

Do people who make Doom maps always have to come up with something new, if we all thought like that we wouldn't see many releases today. In the end its just you who is making a Doom map and enjoy doing it, and you get to share it with the community. The screens you posted definitely look like something you don't see people do every day. But honestly it really doesn't matter what you're working on, if you enjoy building it, chances are the community likes playing it. Enjoying working on a project is the best medicine to a succesful release.

1 hour ago, Dutch Doomer said:

Enjoying working on a project is the best medicine to a succesful release.

It's for that reason I am continuing to work on Skulldash even though it saw a release in 2015. That project captivated me and it brings such a fun way of approaching doom mapping for me. Which brings me onto the map Remmirath is making for Skulldash, check out the below, I think this nightmareish void map is very unique and creative. The map's colour scheme changes every time you play or die, with 5 different colour schemes! Each colour scheme has it's own associated piece of music, too. :) I'll post more shots when they're ready ^^

uEIvTaF.png

hUwat92.png

jh3E8zF.png

6k7yKCI.png

84eYKh3.png