Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

16 hours ago, RottKing said:

DQOXErXl.png

CbPZMCQl.png

ZOMjgfql.png

A new map I made for the Counter-Goat Initiative 1v1 wad

"Who wants some wang?"

Edited by Master O

Those textures look sweet! A lot of really nice looking shots posted here recently too. The FF8 map looks like fun :D

CJg7vcv.jpg

1 minute ago, Tango said:

The FF8 map looks like fun :

While the map is great, it is only playable in Zombie Horde mod for Zandronum.

A few ideas that might help the appearance of that immensely: 

Spoiler

1) Lighting variation. I'm assuming you haven't gotten to this yet (logical to wait until the rest of the map is done, especially at this scale), but when you do, I would suggest making most of the map a lot darker (using a sky transfer if necessary), with lighting around light sources. Understated lighting won't really do the visuals any favors here -- something like 80-128 as a default, rising to 192-256 around light sources as necessary, would probably be best. 

2) More sophisticated articulation of architectural features. It's generally useful to imagine your structures as 3D objects. So instead of slapping a support down somewhat arbitrarily at a texture change (a support texture that isn't even part of the overall texture scheme, no less), you might have the structure jut out in a way that suggests it's an 'object' placed there. (The square marble steps in shot #2 for example, or the various browngy walls in shot #1 that are bordered by light strips.) Related reading (I wish those pics were still up). In shot #2, notice how the bit of the raised inside the computer panels has the same texture as the surrounding ceiling, and I can't exactly tell what I'm looking at. You probably should use a different flat in the raised bit of ceiling. The intersection of the yellow light strips and the browngy walls and the midtexture bars looks somewhat bad. 

3) Texture alignment. Whatever's going on in the back of shot #2 is a glaring example of an area in need, but the marble cubes also don't look so nice as a structural texture for the insets in shot #1. Some of the seamless marble textures could work better, for example. In shot #2, computer panels are cut off suddenly, both at horizontal and vertical points. That doesn't look good.

4) Texture-flat matching. This is not a hard and fast rule but something to keep in mind. In keeping with the idea of elements that are plausible objects, sometimes the flat should match the texture in some way. The computer panels come to mind again -- I can only surmise that these are as thin as wallpaper. The compgreen on the sky portholes I'm interpreting as a sort of thin covering, which is plausible. The brown flat can plausibly be a covering for the marble stairs. Again, I'm not dogmatic about this, but it's a concept that is useful to be aware of.  

5) More sophisticated shapes. Walls and ceilings are conspicuously flat and rectangular, with just little indentations here and there in the way of variation. I'd imagine that this is related somehow to maximizing the 2048x2048 space allotted, and if so the walls might not be something you can change so easily, but there's still room for making the ceilings more interesting. (Structurally. I don't mean little bits of microdetail.) I'd play around with lowering and raising (mostly raising) whole areas of ceilings. In shot #1, for example, the ceiling above the computer console could be raised 256+ units, with the compgreen structures rising as well into that gap. 

I'm going for a ribbiks design style choice whatever map here, but it wasn't a conscious choice - more like, desperate third iteration of this map... "okay, what are two kooky textures" ... ... "grey and green, I'll use that". The stairs didn't work for anything other than revenants for some reason so that is changed. I'm going to change the marble to something without lines if I can find it. In either order, I am going through your list and make changes according to it.

Thanks !

35 minutes ago, Angry_Cat said:

Capture.PNG.a41855bf5a7beb99b082953fdaaa1c5e.PNG

-Mspaint.

-Good

-J Romero.

e - search out machadons box o skies there are many nice space ones in there.

@rdwpa is this better? I tried to follow your instructions maybe I missed something. I should probably learn gradient light and download GZdoom builder. I am switching between 128 and 144 lightning value and liking neither. I have to test if I lower my gamma and up the light in shot 1 to 144 if it will look better

e2 gamma fixed pictures

cwBQ5ok.png

hv0Iteu.png

Edited by NeedHealth

22 minutes ago, NeedHealth said:

-Mspaint.

-Good

-J Romero.

@rdwpa is this better? I tried to follow your instructions maybe I missed something. I should probably learn gradient light and download GZdoom builder. I am switching between 128 and 144 lightning value and liking neither. I have to test if I lower my gamma and up the light in shot 1 to 144 if it will look better

4OgCnlT.png

KfTgok6.png

Needhealth, please keep in mind that Rdwpa was only giving you suggestions on how to improve your map. They are their own opinions, and while they are great suggestions, they would never expect you to put every aspect they suggested into your map. If you enjoyed your map the way it was before, keep it! Ultimately, people making their own designs and texture choices are what make mappers unique.

I personally believe that the screenshots look a bit too 'busy' at the moment now that you've changed them. Ideally each room should have 1-2 areas that draw the players attention, not including room objectives (Switches, Keys, ect) and in the second screenshot I want to look at e verything, because it is a VERY unique texture design. I PERSONALLY would use less varied textures but thats just me, thats my personal mapping style. Make the map your own, make it something that you can look at and say "This is my style." then you'll be happy with it.

Definitely keep Rdwpa's ideas in mind though, theres nothing wrong with those screenshots, they look nice, just my opinions are what i'm giving you =)

2 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

Needhealth, please keep in mind that Rdwpa was only giving you suggestions on how to improve your map. They are their own opinions, and while they are great suggestions, they would never expect you to put every aspect they suggested into your map. If you enjoyed your map the way it was before, keep it! Ultimately, people making their own designs and texture choices are what make mappers unique.

I personally believe that the screenshots look a bit too 'busy' at the moment now that you've changed them. Ideally each room should have 1-2 areas that draw the players attention, not including room objectives (Switches, Keys, ect) and in the second screenshot I want to look at e verything, because it is a VERY unique texture design. I PERSONALLY would use less varied textures but thats just me, thats my personal mapping style. Make the map your own, make it something that you can look at and say "This is my style." then you'll be happy with it.

Definitely keep Rdwpa's ideas in mind though, theres nothing wrong with those screenshots, they look nice, just my opinions are what i'm giving you =)

To me it's ok, just don't mix too much textures :)

I fixed the gamma in prboom cfg ("omgomg WAS is possible ?"), and everything looks better and not as washed out so I think I know what light level to set it at. I removed the pictures because I was going to upload new ones with my fixed gamma the second before you responded.

Thanks for your comments you all.

2 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

To me it's ok, just don't mix too much textures :)

I agree too, its by no means bad, just too many textures for my own tastes.

Decided I didn't like either of the two extremes, and so made things more complicated for myself when I get to making the, uh, transformation of this bit.

Mapping Is Fun

Uw2Pkrk.png

1 hour ago, Eris Falling said:

Decided I didn't like either of the two extremes, and so made things more complicated for myself when I get to making the, uh, transformation of this bit.

Mapping Is Fun

That looks great :D Love what I see in the background too, that is one of my favorite themes/texture combinations.

3 hours ago, wheresthebeef said:

Second test, showing off a variant of the inmate, the shotgun alien, and the pistol

Going to start making an actual level next with things like details and boxes, props, etc.

whoaaa this looks sweet. Is this a totally new game/TC?

6 hours ago, NeedHealth said:

-Mspaint.

-Good

-J Romero.

e2 gamma fixed pictures

I'd agree with Phade102 here, too busy for its own good (the original version was already coming off as something of a cc4-tex.wad asset mishmash). I didn't suggest adding new assets, but I'd suggest sticking to one or two varieties of COMP[COLOR]: green, or green and yellow. Introducing red was a bit too much. As for your new pics, the first shot looks a lot better to me than the second, I think. There's an artfulness in the shapes, where and how they overlap, that carries the eccentric theme, and the lighting is also solid. The second shot is somewhat difficult to parse.

5 minutes ago, NeedHealth said:

Confinement 2048 - second part of my map, subject to change.

Cool. Nice alternative use of DOOR3. The simple color/material scheme works well.

@Angry_Cat I really like the structures on the right.

19 minutes ago, Tango said:

That looks great :D Love what I see in the background too, that is one of my favorite themes/texture combinations.

Thanks! I need to hunt around for more rock textures though, I'm using the TNT: Revilution texture pack as a base but it's only got one rock texture which really clicks with what I'm going for so a lot of scenery here is kinda monotextured at the moment, albeit with a really cool texture :P

2 hours ago, scifista42 said:

Is that a visible swing trail on the left? I'd like to see it in motion. :)

Yes, yes it is :)

1 hour ago, Tango said:

whoaaa this looks sweet. Is this a totally new game/TC?

Thanks! It'll be a completely new game using GZDoom. I can't say too much about it yet, but there's some new engine features we are playing with and hopefully implementing for everyone else to take advantage of.

Core layout for Confinement 2048 map. I haven't mapped in a while, so it's time to get the juices flowing again. Was fun to make. Cute, right? 

GwKWRH4.png

Zoomed-in.

Spoiler

kvuroi6.png

4 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Core layout for Confinement 2048 map. I haven't mapped in a while, so it's time to get the juices flowing again. Was fun to make. Cute, right? 

GwKWRH4.png

Zoomed-in.

Hide contents

kvuroi6.png

Is there another confinement project? O.o I feel awkward if there is.