Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

Recommended Posts

Looks okay. It has a decent shape going for it, which is important. It looks far from arid to me, however. I wouldn't be thinking of the aridity or literal substances in-game, but if I did those would look quite fertile to me, like blocks of topsoil with newly planted grass. (Which also happen to be arranged in cliffs because Doom logic.) Water would complement it quite well, adding a new color and breaking up some of the uninterrupted shapes (big flat regions of grass with pools of water, bare rock faces intersected by waterfalls). Without water, I'd be tempted to interrupt the largest grass sector with a big, shallow, neatly contoured pit of dirt or two, and add some TANROCK insets or outcroppings at well chosen intervals to the largest rock faces.

 

58 minutes ago, nxGangGirl said:

arid and baron mountain/hill side

At least this is easy to address during thing placement.

 

Edited by rdwpa

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, nxGangGirl said:

an arid and baron mountain/hill side,

Did you just misspell barren as baron?

1 hour ago, nxGangGirl said:

it was mostly meant to be lifeless. I didn't want to add too much detail [...] I wasn't sure what other details I could put in to make it look a little less dull.

At least include several different colors/shades and textures/patterns for rock-like materials and distribute them more or less uniformly around the scene. And the tallest rocks are just asking for ceiling overhangs as opposed to floor-only rocks.

1 hour ago, nxGangGirl said:

the level doesn't contain any actual outdoor locations

That's a shame, I think even indoor maps benefit from occasional outdoor areas, as the change of location can be refreshing and help to recapture interest of players who are starting to think the map is getting boring as it goes on.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

Did you just misspell barren as baron?

Haha oops. I'm pretty tired, so yes.

 

7 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

At least include several different colors/shades and textures/patterns for rock-like materials and distribute them more or less uniformly around the scene. And the tallest rocks are just asking for ceiling overhangs as opposed to floor-only rocks.

I really don't like the idea of ceiling rocks for the cliffs, but I might make something small. As for added colors and details, I'm experimenting on that.

 

7 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

That's a shame, I think even indoor maps benefit from occasional outdoor areas, as the change of location can be refreshing and help to recapture interest of players who are starting to think the map is getting boring as it goes on

There are open areas around the map, but not outdoors. There will be over ten or so levels following this one that will be completely outdoors anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, nxGangGirl said:

Mr. Hall

 

8 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

alpha

Yeah, it was supposed to be a bit of a homage.

 

6 hours ago, nxGangGirl said:

Any suggestions?

Maybe you could add some semi-random lighting variation. But it looks neat as it is.

Share this post


Link to post

Cross posted from Zdoom forum.

 

Here is a Revenant Statue I made for the Colleseum on the previous page.

 

OgmiEJA.png

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, DemonusDefunctus said:

Cross posted from Zdoom forum.

 

Here is a Revenant Statue I made for the Colleseum on the previous page.

 

OgmiEJA.png

Just to nitpick, you should put a rock or something under the raised foot so that it doesn't hover in the air. It'd make it look more like a statue and less like a frame from an animated sprite passed through some filters. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Gez said:

Just to nitpick, you should put a rock or something under the raised foot so that it doesn't hover in the air. It'd make it look more like a statue and less like a frame from an animated sprite passed through some filters. ;)

I was trying to go for that with the one leg up. I have seen many statues like that before...but the more I look at it, the more I do not like it.

I will maybe get to the later. I am working on an Imp now. Thanks for the advice.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Metal statues have no problems with having a dynamic-looking pose; but stone statues are more limited in what they can do (stone doesn't handle tension well). Your sprite doesn't look much like metal (it's less shiny than the original sprite) so I read it as a stone statue and I just figure that its leg is gonna break. :)

 

 

If you don't mind some excessive nerdery on the topic: compare this stone sculpture with that metal one and notice how on the stone sculpture there's a solid background to help carry the figures. Or look at how this Apollon cheated by having a support below the raised foot. If it's stone it needs be supported so that weight is always transferred downward. If the weight pulls upward then the stone breaks, and that's likely how the Venus de Milo lost both her arms.

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Gez said:

Metal statues have no problems with having a dynamic-looking pose; but stone statues are more limited in what they can do (stone doesn't handle tension well). Your sprite doesn't look much like metal (it's less shiny than the original sprite) so I read it as a stone statue and I just figure that its leg is gonna break. :)

 

 

If you don't mind some excessive nerdery on the topic: compare this stone sculpture with that metal one and notice how on the stone sculpture there's a solid background to help carry the figures. Or look at how this Apollon cheated by having a support below the raised foot. If it's stone it needs be supported so that weight is always transferred downward. If the weight pulls upward then the stone breaks, and that's likely how the Venus de Milo lost both her arms.

I never...ever mind nerdery...excessive or otherwise.

Very imformative. Thanks for the info. If you wish to talk on the subject further, pm me. I do want to hijack this topic.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Imp Statue is done(I HOPE). Warning big image. That why it's in a spoiler.

 

Spoiler

59e787d54697e_IMPStatueSTEPS.png.14ad3c0ed0a4eec55eee0b71d6c7953a.png

 

 

EDIT: Does any know of a faster way of doing the A-B step in GIMP? Right now what I am doing is: Scale>Gaussian Blur>Un-sharpen Mask> Manually using the Smudge tool to remove pixelated edges and and overall smoothing.

Edited by DemonusDefunctus

Share this post


Link to post

The Doom trees are inherently ugly. I often try to use them in patches mixed with the smaller grey tree rather than dotting one down, maybe with a few stalagmites. I am well aware of the repetitive nature of humans so if it is feasible I often walk around in-game trying to spot blotches from different angles to remedy those.

 

BkwAaWo.png

 

I made a demo to show what I think. Run it with prboom+ if you want a nice sky as it uses skytransferrer.

https://ufile.io/5jzcv

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, DemonusDefunctus said:

Here is a Revenant Statue I made for the Colleseum on the previous page.

Nice, reminds me of the /vr/ Golden Boner awards.

2r1WNCt.pngFUOluIQ.png

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, RjY said:

Nice, reminds me of the /vr/ Golden Boner awards.

2r1WNCt.pngFUOluIQ.png

HAH! I had no idea that existed!

 

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Shadow Hog said:

🤨

What's this? It's a square on my computer and I am trying to find the font pack that I am a lacking. [ /off topic]

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, NeedHealth said:

What's this? It's a square on my computer and I am trying to find the font pack that I am a lacking. [ /off topic]

It's this eyebrow-raise emoji from Emoji 5.0. I'm using it a bit prematurely, but most vendors are rolling out support for it around about now (Microsoft apparently putting it out as part of today's Win 10 Fall Update, Twitter and Google supporting it for a while, Apple rolling out support with iOS 11.1 sometime soon-ish...), so it'll possibly be not-square soon enough.

Share this post


Link to post

Took me all morning. What do you think guys? Did I do him justice?

Spoiler

59e8cb60a273f_FATSOSTAGES.png.22263f7fadf8fa53d4ac9d2c11e0535b.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, DemonusDefunctus said:

Getting there.

  Hide contents

59e7c971215b0_BARONOFHELLAB.png.b5fea067e4f59dfd5af6b4f6e2369f57.png

 

I think the hand is too much like that of a human. Looks promising otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×