Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

To be honest when caustics are simulated with animated textures on walls and ceilings in Doom, it never looks like actual caustics to me. Instead it looks like walls and ceilings are covered in a thin sheet of moving fluids.

Just as an example, this effect is used in Duke3d on this brick texture, there is also a broken rock texture with the same effect. I think it's only ever used in the registered levels but I'm not sure.

736.png 737.png 738.png

Depending on the lighting, if the matching water animation is used on parts of the surrounding floor, it can seem as though the water is reflecting on the walls.

2 hours ago, reflex17 said:

Just as an example, this effect is used in Duke3d on this brick texture, there is also a broken rock texture with the same effect. I think it's only ever used in the registered levels but I'm not sure.

By "registered levels", do you mean E1-E3 or E1-only? Because I remembered (and just now confirmed) seeing the rock texture with this effect in the first map of E3, in a secret next to the water near the start.

2 hours ago, scifista42 said:

By "registered levels", do you mean E1-E3 or E1-only? Because I remembered (and just now confirmed) seeing the rock texture with this effect in the first map of E3, in a secret next to the water near the start.

Ah yes, by that I meant episodes 2 and 3, the textures used in Episode 1 are near the beginning of the list, after the utility sprites and skies etc. There is a sort of division in the texture sets even though they are only named by number, making it inconvenient to name any one in particular from memory.

There are also floor textures with 'raindrop ripple' in their animation from Episode 4 at the beginning of E4M1, a similar kind of thing. These I suppose were made after the base texture.

Edited by reflex17

Worked more at catacombs 3d texture thing, now changed from png to doom gfx palette and added / edited few more textures, still more works needs to be done.

Results in-game on prboom-plus 2.5.1.3 in the spoiler:

Spoiler

Ij01Gi9.png

SgNymUd.png

JjjqaE6.png

6mlponE.png

bdpQq1k.png

Nice, quite Doom II Romero. I think I don't like that blue ceiling rock flat (looks noisy/messy here), but something tells me it will look better in-game.

1 hour ago, RjY said:

@Eradrop That face texture is super creepy.

It looks like a mix between the Moai heads from the Gradius series and Olmec from Legends of the Hidden Temple.

Oh yeah, a corpse, the most obvious hint ever. It's not like there are hundreds of other corpses to look at in the level...

Look at the ceilings above too- it's ...kinda obvious. Not to mention learn once- info gained for next time. Not everything will/has to go perfectly one your first run.

38 minutes ago, Fuzzball said:

Not to mention learn once- info gained for next time.

Next time there'll be an exactly identical trap?