Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

48 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

@Agent6 HR2's earlier levels (orange sky) are definitely way harder IMO than anything later on traditionally. I was practically begging for the slaughtermaps to roll in. I'm sure it has nothing on today's sets though!

Yeah, that was literally me as well. Some of them have legit difficult encounters, but others are just like "I want to rape your soul and fuck your mind". 3 Hell Knights in a level inside a shoe box room and a Lost Soul in front the switch and on top of a Berserk pack. Go destroy yourself...

Oh, and there were also Arch-Viles. But at least you could easily run away from most of them, or at least from the two who are revealed after you pick up the trapped blue skull. The other 2 right before that Hell Knight room pretty much force you to take damage since you kinda have to use the Rocket Launcher on them and there's barely any space to run, let alone hide... Obviously it wouldn't be enough if the exits would not get locked after you step into the trap, how nice of 'em!

The first maps are terrible, simply because they don't do something interesting to be challenging but instead rely on troll encounters which force you to take damage. Or die. Not good gameplay.

Yep, my initial impressions of HR2 were rather poor, and I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to finish the WAD, but I'm happy I suffered long enough to enjoy the rest, for the most part. I actually recall HR2 being a bit easier than HR1 at times, then again, not the same people. HR1 was misleadingly easy early on because they didn't want to scare you off with hard shit from the get-go, but from map12 and onward it's a gauntlet of crazy fights and seemingly impossible setups that you survive over and over again and I just found it thrilling.

1 minute ago, cyan0s1s said:

Yep, my initial impressions of HR2 were rather poor, and I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to finish the WAD, but I'm happy I suffered long enough to enjoy the rest, for the most part. I actually recall HR2 being a bit easier than HR1 at times, then again, not the same people. HR1 was misleadingly easy early on because they didn't want to scare you off with hard shit from the get-go, but from map12 and onward it's a gauntlet of crazy fights and seemingly impossible setups that you survive over and over again and I just found it thrilling.

It's called progression I suppose. After all AV did the exact same thing. It starts easy and the difficulty increases in steps as you progress, with occasional spikes here and there. But the problem is that, hm... where am I now... I think around MAP15 or so, and it starts getting better only now, no more unfair traps and encounter with zero thought put into them. And no more boxy levels either. If HR2 was designed by a different team then it would explain the radical (read: mediocre) change in style of the early levels.

But HR1 seemingly impossible after MAP12? No. Gotta disagree here, it's nowhere near that. Heh, should that be the case then the mid to late levels of AA would be classified as "beyond hardcore" in comparison :v . And I mean it.

I prolly oversold it a little, what I mean is that upon first glance at a setup of monsters and fights it looks daunting and you think how the hell am I suppose to survive that? Now anytime I see two Cyberdemons in a room I'm just like :eye-roll: let's get this party started then.

E: Single Arch-vile encounters where they just come running and screaming at you out of nowhere always fucks me up tho.

8 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

I prolly oversold it a little, what I mean is that upon first glance at a setup of monsters and fights it looks daunting and you think how the hell am I suppose to survive that? Now anytime I see two Cyberdemons in a room I'm just like :eye-roll: let's get this party started then.

E: Single Arch-vile encounters where they just come running and screaming at you out of nowhere always fucks me up tho.

Difficult at first sight but that's about it. Something similar happened in AV as well, especially near the end in a few levels which look nuts but they're actually alright, just that you have to resort to various tricks to make it out alive.

Indeed. The problem is that HR1 at least overused certain enemies. HR2 appears to sort of correct this by adding more hitscanners and general variety to the encounters, but I'll see how things change later on. Still, variety doesn't help much considering that a good portion of the early maps is pure mediocrity...

Cyberdemons have become common enemies for me as well. Heh, the consequence of maps such as MAP24 (I think this was it) of HR1. Cyberdemons? Come fite me xdd.

8 hours ago, DanielAlexander said:

Infinite ammo / Golden BFG9000 I created today:

5ade655420921_GoldBFG.png.0317de0d20b18709a7c3a9a76ed3a0a5.png

I'll maybe use it in a wad...

I found that the pink BFG from Slaughterfest was really ugly. The gold color fits pretty well on a BFG. :)

It was fun avoiding projectiles with 11% health at the beginning after I got punished for not paying attention where I needed most xdd.

Spoiler

doom00.png

doom01.png

doom02.png

doom03.png

doom04.png

13 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I've been having a lot of fun making this map!

1323bc822982c1deebe0ed61c9a3f06c.jpg

9f714ded33cdba9e18fa390fa132897f.jpg

681d9f7aca2c69a3daadd4f353897bef.jpg

bde4d7b7d68d299cccbe5cfd0c336f3c.jpg

b52817a45c3afa094dc504ec04dcd4f0.jpg

6d2462cf7a8b6bf2c8cb88e1d0a4547a.jpg

f6272ef47f8044042e80ab0781f8fc9c.jpg

Wow, just wow.  I love the colors here. 

I told myself that I'd try and make a smaller map after the behemoth that was level 2. Complete fail on that part (that's a 128 grid). Something ... big is brewing to the north.

5adf13faeb4af_Megawadat2018_04.2423-22-26.257R2787.jpg.f8257d87b99619124e2e4938efad6906.jpg

HR2 hates you with a passion as it seems :v .

doom00.png

doom01.png

I started working on second map few days ago,I don't know if yellow liquid fits here. Anyway, I love this purple sunset, things go here smoothly as I wanted. 

Screenshot_Doom_20180421_234213.png

6 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

I started working on second map few days ago,I don't know if yellow liquid fits here. Anyway, I love this purple sunset, things go here smoothly as I wanted. 

Screenshot_Doom_20180421_234213.png

I like that gold liquid color!  Although you could perhaps adjust the shape of the "sea" sector to be a smooth curve at the horizon instead of a square.  At the moment it's very obvious it's just a share room with a sky texture on it.

On 21/4/2018 at 3:15 AM, xdarkmasterx said:

prboom-plus_2018-04-21_10-10-09.png.837f350c27317e8f9a8e89b1ab3d6c3f.png

I love this sky, I wonder where is it from. I would like to use it in a wad.