Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Grimosaur said:

I remember I once got somehow pushed out of the map by a pinky while playing classic Doom II without any noclip on or anything and it looking like that.

 

Sounds like you managed to accidentally trigger a v- ah hell Grazza just replied, I am going to submit this without looking because I bet he is saying the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

So... yeah, Stardate 20x7 isn't what I expected it to be at all as a sequel to x6. Unfair traps, resource starvation, not even infighting helps much, and the layout is confusing.

 

My opinion on it is negative. Luckily there's only 2 more maps and the torment is over...

 

doom00.png

Share this post


Link to post

Haha, i find that Stardate 20x7 (or Stardate sequel in the name and purple only) is up to the usual Ribbiks quality. It is a bit different in gameplay compared to 20x6 tho, so that could bother some people like you @Agent6 :P. At least can we agree that the maps are big screenshot baits?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Catpho said:

Haha, i find that Stardate 20x7 (or Stardate sequel in the name and purple only) is up to the usual Ribbiks quality. It is a bit different in gameplay compared to 20x6 tho, so that could bother some people like you @Agent6 :P. At least can we agree that the maps are big screenshot baits?

 

More like very different, and quality in terms of aesthetics only, otherwise there's nothing else that makes the experience enjoyable. There's some interesting puzzles, but even the layout is confusing. And I doubt even skilled players would enjoy this...

 

1 hour ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

At least it's pretty @Agent6

 

Too bad that's the only positive aspect of the wad, + some of the puzzles.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

@Bridgeburner56 did you plan to release a demo with a few maps? Other people can make feedback and this helps which way you need to choose.

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Still haven't finished MAP05 of the RDC D2INO.

It's still really good, though.

 

18 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I got stuck after that last shot. I couldn't figure out how to open the door to the hall just before the warehouse and the blue card room.

I don't remember eighter. :D Think I should re-play my map again.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

"pic"

That is one unsettling skull face. Darn those hell textures intrigue me. Is that a lava ceiling!?

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Catpho said:

Is that a lava ceiling!?

 

It is!

 

Lava on the ceiling lets you know that this place is different to the world you know, and logic may seem to be defied... Or, I could cut the bullshit and say the real reason - I needed a light source to make the room look a _lot_ better. I didn't want to put anything like torches of a lavafall which would affect player movement, and I didn't want to use tech-themed lights as they'd be off-theme.

Share this post


Link to post

Just finished Doomkid's Shovelware wad.

It was a good wad.

 

Spoiler

Qwy7VKj.png

Cute.

 

2FWYba9.png

 

SHYgIBU.png

 

MuPXY1j.png

I've fallen in love with this purple plasma. I must use it now.

 

KZvfK9v.png

 

9oR4bsp.png

 

V5FFkAB.png

 

FhSeRcE.png

 

yB7UitI.png

I fought this guy five times, I think, and once he somehow got a rocket through the crowd right into me. Talk about threading the rage needle.

 

HII1xO5.png

 

8wImWVY.png

A winner is you!

I died a few times toward the end, so I had to play the area behind the red doors so many times I could probably do it blindfolded at this point.

It took too long for me to figure out what I was supposed to do in the Gotcha room, it was only when I realized that the area behind the cross was hollow that I figured out what to do.

I missed a lot of things in the map, too, like the yellow key.

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Grazza said:

VnLBlF6.png

 

Real in-game screenshot.

 

In terms of "ugly screenshots" so far... we have a winner. The glitch screenshot was interesting, but not ugly. The mini Startan was carefully calculated and the mashed potatoes of ugly screenshots while this screenshot is ugly and real.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, GoatLord said:

From my E1M7-inspired map in progress...

This is not a very big deal, but you could try aligning these panels differently to make the copypasting less obvious.

 

Varied alignment also works well with stairs, for example you might find that this looks more natural than this (no clearly repeating pattern on the steps).

Share this post


Link to post

Would those panels not be lined up IRL? I agree with stairs etc but those panels? Seems odd to intentionally 'twist' their positioning.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

 

It is!

 

Lava on the ceiling lets you know that this place is different to the world you know, and logic may seem to be defied... Or, I could cut the bullshit and say the real reason - I needed a light source to make the room look a _lot_ better. I didn't want to put anything like torches of a lavafall which would affect player movement, and I didn't want to use tech-themed lights as they'd be off-theme.

 

I know how that feel lol

I've been also using lava as light source. Two other solutions I've found would be make open ceilings or, fuck that, I'll add some light ceiling because yes lol

Share this post


Link to post

Hmm, well if they have to be in same spots I would at least try to use different parts of COMPUTE1 to break up the texturing. But it's a relatively minor issue.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, geo said:

In terms of "ugly screenshots" so far... we have a winner. The glitch screenshot was interesting, but not ugly. The mini Startan was carefully calculated and the mashed potatoes of ugly screenshots while this screenshot is ugly and real.

I'm glad you "like" it. The composition took a little work, in terms of what HUD crap I had displaying on screen, when I peaked at the automap and when I took the screenshot so there was still redness but a good deal of HOM while retaining a certain balance. I was inspired mostly by Picasso's Guernica.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Deadwing said:

 

I know how that feel lol

I've been also using lava as light source. Two other solutions I've found would be make open ceilings or, fuck that, I'll add some light ceiling because yes lol

There is a lack of hell appropriate light sources it feels like, even using realm 667. I've just been using different coloured torches or been making other things glow arbitrarily (evil eyes, skull rocks etc). 

6 hours ago, Catpho said:

That is one unsettling skull face. Darn those hell textures intrigue me. Is that a lava ceiling!?

I love that face. Is that for public usage @Dragonfly? Also, that is an enticing video. Are you making a standalone level or is part of a larger project?

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

There is a lack of hell appropriate light sources it feels like, even using realm 667.

Spoilered because lots of images.

Spoiler

BlackTorch.png

CandleColorVariations.png

CeilingBrazier.png

Chandelier%20Pack.png

CreatureLamps.png

DemonLamp.png

StrifeFirePillars.png

LavaCauldron.png

MarbleBrazier.png

MetalTorches.png

StoneTorch.png

NewTorches.png

https://realm667.com/index.php/en/prop-stop-mainmenu-163-64831/light-sources-mainmenu-166-58239

These seem appropriately hellish, or close to it.

Also, there's this:

SerpentBraziers.png

That doesn't look hellish to me, but I thought it was cool and wanted to share.

I suffer the same problem when trying to choose things from Realm667, because the aesthetic I'm going for is alien to Doom, frankly.

Epic 2 has more matches, probably because Egyptian/equivalent thereof aesthetic is part of it.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Spoilered because lots of images.

  Reveal hidden contents

BlackTorch.png

CandleColorVariations.png

CeilingBrazier.png

Chandelier%20Pack.png

CreatureLamps.png

DemonLamp.png

StrifeFirePillars.png

LavaCauldron.png

MarbleBrazier.png

MetalTorches.png

StoneTorch.png

NewTorches.png

https://realm667.com/index.php/en/prop-stop-mainmenu-163-64831/light-sources-mainmenu-166-58239

These seem appropriately hellish, or close to it.

Also, there's this:

SerpentBraziers.png

That doesn't look hellish to me, but I thought it was cool and wanted to share.

I suffer the same problem when trying to choose things from Realm667, because the aesthetic I'm going for is alien to Doom, frankly.

Epic 2 has more matches, probably because Egyptian/equivalent thereof aesthetic is part of it.

I have gone through those ones and they often don't 'feel' right. I've got the multicoloured candelabras (which are nice) but all the hanging lights I've tried seemed a bit off for some reason. I should probably have another look and put them all in a 'lighting showroom' and judge them properly. Get the interior designer involved. Rack up

some consultancy fees. Plenty of money in the budget.

7 hours ago, riderr3 said:

@Bridgeburner56 did you plan to release a demo with a few maps? Other people can make feedback and this helps which way you need to choose.

 

 

Indeed I am. First release is scheduled for the end of June and I'm aiming for 4 maps. They will be exitable and tested for level breaking bugs but I will be encouraging all forms of feedback. The release schedule is on the main thread in the first post.

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

I've got the multicoloured candelabras (which are nice) but all the hanging lights I've tried seemed a bit off for some reason.

Well, hanging lights are stupid, anyway. You don't need them.

The new colored torches and candelbra things are my favorites.

I thought you might like that marble torch thing and the lava cauldron, I thought those were pretty cool.

Course, you could go the Dragonfly way and stick lava in the ceiling because lava adds awesome all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Grazza said:

I'm glad you "like" it. The composition took a little work, in terms of what HUD crap I had displaying on screen, when I peaked at the automap and when I took the screenshot so there was still redness but a good deal of HOM while retaining a certain balance. I was inspired mostly by Picasso's Guernica.

Psh... like it? I used a shadow orb to hide from it. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

I love that face. Is that for public usage @Dragonfly?

 

It's from my texture set which will be released publicly for Doom's 25th birthday. Until then, some select people have access so that the textures can be accompanied with some nice levels demonstrating good use.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ukiro said:

 

It's from my texture set which will be released publicly for Doom's 25th birthday. Until then, some select people have access so that the textures can be accompanied with some nice levels demonstrating good use.

Coolness. I look forward to the public release. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×