Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

Recommended Posts

@th3_Dru1d No, it was actually quite easy. Really the most difficult part was testing the map.

Applying textures to large irregular walls was quick with visual mode, and aligning them even faster.

It was the architecture and everything that took the longest.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Here's some old screenshots of the first version of my techbase level I did long ago before deciding to make a new version of it. It IS done, I just haven't relased it being I felt it wasn't up to par. Its gonna sit in limbo until I feel comfortable and give it a shot and upload it. (funfact: its also my first full level I made) 

Screenshot_Doom_20180126_123604-1.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180126_123610-1.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180126_123628-1.png

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Agent6 said:

So uh...

 

How the hell you reach the damn exit? Think it's been over an hour and I still can't figure it out.

 

dfhdf.png

 

Any help? Still need it :(

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Agent6 said:

 

Any help? Still need it :(

 

I know it may be an iconic map but you didn't say what map it is, nor did you say what wad it's in. Sometimes you've got to help the helpers help you.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

I know it may be an iconic map but you didn't say what map it is, nor did you say what wad it's in. Sometimes you've got to help the helpers help you.

 

Slaughterfest 3 MAP16 (Nibblet).

 

Figured people who played the megawad already know the area, so I didn't feel it was needed to mention where is this from.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

 

Slaughterfest 3 MAP16 (Nibblet).

 

Figured people who played the megawad already know the area, so I didn't feel it was needed to mention where is this from.

 

If you didn't make the wad, you should always list where it's from. It's just good etiquette on this thread.

 

But really this isn't even the right place to ask advice. I'd suggest trying over on the Slaughterfest 3 thread itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Bauul said:

If you didn't make the wad, you should always list where it's from. It's just good etiquette on this thread.

 

But really this isn't even the right place to ask advice. I'd suggest trying over on the Slaughterfest 3 thread itself.

 

I guess you're right, I just didn't want to ruin that thread with my dumb questions.

 

And yeah my gut's telling me it is indeed a stupid question, almost every single time I get stuck somewhere it's because I do what I do best, miss the obvious. Not proud of it but can't do much to change that fact...

 

Feels pretty bad though, throwing the same question everywhere... first a few people, and now topics -__- .

Share this post


Link to post

@Agent6 Haven't you tried taking a look at it in Doom Builder? That's what I usually do when I get stuck in a WAD.

 

If you don't have the program, I encourage you to download it anyway, it can be fun to mess around with even if you don't want to get into serious mapping.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Gaia74 said:

Someone remember this? 

 

I do remember somewhat similar...

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KVELLER said:

@Agent6 Haven't you tried taking a look at it in Doom Builder? That's what I usually do when I get stuck in a WAD.

 

If you don't have the program, I encourage you to download it anyway, it can be fun to mess around with even if you don't want to get into serious mapping.

 

I have it.

 

Didn't think about that though, ultimately I decided to just -warp to MAP17 and pistol start from there. Still, I'd like to know how you reach the exit in MAP16 legitimately, so if someone could tell me in the SF3 thread or privately I'd appreciate.

 

Opening it in DB won't help, I think, since I don't know how many things work there, or where to look.

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Gaia74 said:

Someone remember this? 

I'm guessing it's Doom Wars on the Stratagus engine?

 

But at first I thought about GSC Game World's DoomCraft project but that was never completed IIRC.

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, MrFlibble said:

I'm guessing it's Doom Wars on the Stratagus engine?

 

But at first I thought about GSC Game World's DoomCraft project but that was never completed IIRC.

yes is that :"v, never finished project

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

y0RYN8G.png

 

From the latest shop v3.5 !

What are these scientists doing?!

Share this post


Link to post

Some more shots of Betelgeuse.

V4x1bAn.png

 

SCy1SaV.png

That mastermind was originally going to be a cyberdemon, but I decided a mastermind would be more threatening, given her powerful hitscan attack.

 

Have an automap view.

VmubPYK.jpg

Only 309 sectors so far. Very simple. Should be very short, too.

Simple hit the switches, kill the monsters, exit the map sort of deal here.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

but I decided a mastermind would be more threatening

 

:v .

 

In general, not really, but depends on how you use them, just like everything. That boxes do seem rather small, so a Cyb might've been deadlier given the splash damage of his rockets.

Share this post


Link to post

Not when he never decides to shoot, he isn't. I threw that mastermind there because, again, of her powerful hitscan attack and she doesn't stop shooting until you hurt her, hide, or one of you dies.

And rockets are possible to dodge (which ties into the hitscan attack).

The only available weapons at the moment are 'zerk, SSG, and launcher, and I won't be generous with ammo (I'll probably make the previous map more stringent on ammo) here so going toe-to-toe with the mastermind won't exactly be on the figurative table.

And testing has suggested so far that this was the right move, that the cyber was too easy to avoid and didn't add any real threat to the level. Change may come in the future, but I'm sticking to it at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Not when he never decides to shoot, he isn't. I threw that mastermind there because, again, of her powerful hitscan attack and she doesn't stop shooting until you hurt her, hide, or one of you dies.

And rockets are possible to dodge (which ties into the hitscan attack).

The only available weapons at the moment are 'zerk, SSG, and launcher, and I won't be generous with ammo (I'll probably make the previous map more stringent on ammo) here so going toe-to-toe with the mastermind won't exactly be on the figurative table.

And testing has suggested so far that this was the right move, that the cyber was too easy to avoid and didn't add any real threat to the level. Change may come in the future, but I'm sticking to it at the moment.

 

Yeah, but he never shoots only when the enemy is not in his sight :v .

 

Do be careful with how much emphasis you put on resource starvation throughout the levels though. Designed for continuous or pistol starts? That's gonna play a lot in terms of balance. Or, should that be the case, suicide exits could get rid of that problem.

Share this post


Link to post

I was apparently under the false impression that the proper feedback came after the map was released for playtesting, not before.

These are my decisions, so leave them to me. Wait until I release this to second guess me, and I will consider changing things.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Some more shots of Betelgeuse.

 

 

Teal pillar looks a bit out of place, other than that, cool..

 

2 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I was apparently under the false impression that the proper feedback came after the map was released for playtesting, not before.

These are my decisions, so leave them to me. Wait until I release this to second guess me, and I will consider changing things.

 

He wasn't being aggressive, christ. Masterminds are a tricky beast to handle properly, Agent6's throwin' out some legit concerns.

Share this post


Link to post

A platforming maze with little cover is exactly where a mastermind is dangerous, because you can't rush toward it for point-blank attacks then hide and repeat.

 

On the other hand, a cyberdemon is most threatening in a walled maze, so that there's lot of opportunities for its rockets to splash on a wall next to you. Whereas in a platforming maze, you dodge the rocket and the continue on their merry way, eventually disappearing harmlessly in a sky wall.

 

In short, you need to make a tall, two-level maze, with a cybie patrolling the ground and a spidey ruling the roof. Plus a few caged archviles that are there to knock the player back down to the cybie's den.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/11/2018 at 7:10 PM, GoatLord said:

Added some rebar, kept some of the floor unfinished, tried to make it really look like it's an incomplete section.

Screenshot_Doom_20180711_130831.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180711_130836.png

 

';,,;'

 

3nc9hWg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I was apparently under the false impression that the proper feedback came after the map was released for playtesting, not before.

These are my decisions, so leave them to me. Wait until I release this to second guess me, and I will consider changing things.

 

Of course, it was just a suggestion, a Cybie worked better in my mind, but I suppose that might not be the case here.

 

Either way, we'll live to see how it turns out :v .

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Memfis said:

Are the ceiling lamps broken? :(

 

Flashing sectors. It's just a pain sometimes to grab screens showing that.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Memfis said:

Are the ceiling lamps broken? :(

 

Lights can be turned off. ;)

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×