Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

On 6/17/2019 at 8:10 AM, Teder said:

most epic dude, it looks great!

On 6/17/2019 at 7:55 PM, Jimmy said:
On 6/16/2019 at 9:20 PM, Crunchynut44 said:

Already making levels from the influence of Sigil, what a fantastic mapset that is!

You're not the only one!

Is there a Sigil survivors support group for the rest of us?

Now for some of my doom pictures, still building "gamma station"

gamma_stations_wip_20190618 (1).png

gamma_stations_wip_20190618 (2).png

gamma_stations_wip_20190618 (3).png

Completed full layout of the map segment I showed on the last page. In an attempt to make it more alinear, I focused much of the rest of the map around the additional area I added, and the two new large areas are simply the boss battle arena and the segment afterwards with its totally-not-a-death-exit (it is based off of E1M8 after all)
Two notes:

• I changed out the simple lift at the end of E1M8 into a teleporter so I had more room to work with.
  • The nukage in the boss arena doesn't do damage unlike in the rest of the map (where it is either 5%, 10% or instant kill depending on the area), but this is a design choice to allow for more maneuverability. And maneuverability is important because homing rockets.

e789bc474127f4fefed9fc5e9f5c88e2.png

And screenshots through the level's progression because why not (be warned, there's a lot):

Spoiler

Part of the new start area, before the lift into the barrel room:xKraMsW.png

The staircase after the barrel room:

X2iyd0T.png

The right ammo room (I IDDQD/IDKFA'd at this point to make sure I could take screenshots in peace):

AEtPSzj.png

After the switch is pressed:

rpZ8DWR.png

As soon as you leave the cavern:

RpwAuKK.png

After going around the left of the building:

ccBkMEG.png

After passing through the tunnel to the left of the last picture:

hNAyTim.png

Inside the building immediately in front of the last picture (and say hi to the Megatrooper in the window there, he's a new enemy I made):

EjcZdGQ.png

Inside one of the sections of the center building:

ir0Iat4.png

...which going in to unleashes this guy.

QWj2wSx.png

Inside another segment of the centre building at the yellow key card:

4buy8fR.png

The left ammo room:

k6xgF2y.png

...and after opening the switch (and say hi again to the Demon-Whisperer, another custom enemy of mine):

iTQRdPE.png

Passing through the teleporter leads you up here in the right building:

8wf4P2K.png

which can lead you up here:

dvnUHvv.png

In the blue keycard door in the centre building:

ssPIfXK.png

Ambush!:

PoROUj9.png

Okay, we found the light:

CjHKhbr.png

Falling down here is particularly ill-advised (the instant death pit I mentioned):

VrLVtuk.png

Oh, look where we are! And who turned up!:

wQpHxCQ.png

And what's that that's down there now?:

Qv1ZQ91.png

Are you ready now?:

e2a8cdH.png

You'd better be:

QstZiCg.png

Or else... (textures on these guys are temporary, and I wasn't lying about the homing rockets):

ZUEOOA2.png

Now what's that over there?:

cwZlbdH.png

Oh right. Yeah.

CX8QRAB.png

@Big Ol Billy Awesome stuff! I'm glad you've found a use for it- and yeah feel free to edit too! That's what my stuff is all about, being free to use and toy with~

Posted (edited)

I would never align those walls around corners myself. I would use a different border texture where one doesn't fit on a single linedef.

34 minutes ago, Vermil said:

I would never align those walls around corners myself. I would use a different border texture where one doesn't fit on a single linedef.

the only time i do is when i have 84 pixel linedefs which is the amount that divides those textures into 3. I think it works quite well if you do it properly.

2 hours ago, Vermil said:

1 hour ago, Rhebiz said:

the only time i do is when i have 84 pixel linedefs which is the amount that divides those textures into 3. I think it works quite well if you do it properly.

I do agree, it does look kinda weird. The only reason I did this is because this map is based on Hell Beneath, and the starting area with similar SKIN textures is aligned like this. I have changed it to see which looks better. Honestly, I prefer the first one since it doesn't screw up the starting area layout.

DOOMSCREENSHOT11.PNG

DOOMSCREENSHOT12.PNG

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Scorpius said:

I do agree, it does look kinda weird. The only reason I did this is because this map is based on Hell Beneath

While it does look a lil weird, I immediately caught that you're making a level based on Hell Beneath. Definitely tell me when you post that, Hell Beneath is one of my favorite levels!

It does look better, quite a bit better. I hate Hell Beneath except for the design so that gets a thumbs up from me.

That looks very wesome already, Scorpius! Keep it up, I'll be looking forward to more screenshots.

will be interesting to see. after all, Hell Beneath is the only map from E4 i managed to complete. ;-)

Posted (edited)

I've taken a small break from Doom, the community, and mapping. However, today was a casual day of creating shit, including DOOM maps! Pics in the spoiler

I added an exit and began the creation of the red key-card area. As well began creating where the room where the blue keycard will be.
I plan to have three routes through the level, but one route will show part of map three in it. I plan for the player to return to map 1 after map 2, but you start in front of the exit of map 1, and the route through the level will reveal new areas previously impassible in map 1.

I learned an editing trick from Romero's Tech Gone Bad, where he used two barrels to denote secrets. Since this mapset is very focused on using the nukage floor textures & barrels, I feel like this is a classy way to denote secrets along with textures misalignment

20 minutes ago, dobu gabu maru said:

Lastly a "first few days of working on map" vs "last few days of working on map" from DB perspective:

You, my friend, are a God.

EDIT: Before anyone replies, I caught that there's a texture misalignment in the first screenie and it's since been corrected. The pain of making doom maps X_X

Spoiler

image.png.7c0d5ab29a801e49464850881bf0f06d.pngimage.png.ee4dc326076e49d663de6dcc52b163b2.pngimage.png.c7e2ecc83053cdc4b2f286bd9e647f1b.png

27 minutes ago, Tango said:

that looks awesome @Dutch Doomer :D really like the shapes of the rocks

Been practicing a lot with making rocks look natural, as far as you can accomplish such a thing in Doom without the use of slopes. All that outside space is an secret area, guess making a small room with a few goodies isn't good enough for me anymore. This style of mapping is really time consuming, frustrating when your wishing to make progress fast.

11 hours ago, The_SloVinator said:

Stuff

I like that eerie vibe your screenshots give

55 minutes ago, Teder said:

Stuff

wip

Very nice, are those 3D models? Does your map lag too much?