Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

I think the middle horizontal support is a midtexture, with a pitch black texture on its back side. It should be possible to shoot through and pass through (unless there is additional invisible sky or self-referencing-sector trickery to block shots and solid objects anywhere above the support).

scifista is correct. you can't ever reach it so it not blocking you isn't an issue.

also it was kind of a test, and i didn't really like the outcome so it's gone now :~)

That's a shame, I like it.

By the way, if the player's movement was restricted to the building opposite to the camera, the same effect could be achieved via a regular lowered sky above the support, and the player would not notice any visual glitches from his point of view. Maybe that's what you replaced it with?

I had built it in such a way as to avoid any visual glitches, and the player did need to traverse all around it. it was just an artistic decision to remove it, i didn't like the way it looked. the area has been redesigned and imo looks good now.

Thanks for the explanation @scifista42 and @jmickle66666666.
1 day ago I started to mess with cc4-tex and I think something is happening:

Honestly, the textures don't match each other well, which gives me a bad impression. Probably because these textures are not so exotic ones, they are reminiscent of IWAD textures, and I've already played enough wads with IWAD-esque textures to develop higher demands on usage of the textures. I can spot incoherent materials and numerous different colors simply thrown together in one scene. Particularly in the first picture, but even the 2nd one (which also has apparent tiling errors, or at least it doesn't look natural).

Possible solutions (recommendation):
1. Focus on a primary theme, pick colors and materials that fit the theme, and work primarily with these ones only (per area or per entire map).
2. Keep the texturing you have, but separate colors and materials by some "neutral" borderline textures, and find ways to interwine the different materials interestingly and plausibly (instead of random connections).

I'm not a huge fan of the first shot but the second one looks pretty decent.

Working on maps for a project that's way too ambitious for me. My MAP07 replacement, working title "Dead Sewage", but with my current palette I'm considering just calling it "Brown is Real". Not quite interesting, especially with -nomonsters. Also, I'm surprised that the warehouse area doesn't crash vanilla, considering its amount of visplanes.

[Click for a higher-quality, 600k image.]

Here's an overview of the level right now.

@Allie: Looks good enough for a classic-style vanilla map. I like the combination of curves and angled shapes on the automap, reminds me of IWAD layouts.

scifista42 said:

Possible solutions (recommendation):
1. Focus on a primary theme, pick colors and materials that fit the theme, and work primarily with these ones only (per area or per entire map).
2. Keep the texturing you have, but separate colors and materials by some "neutral" borderline textures, and find ways to interwine the different materials interestingly and plausibly (instead of random connections).

Thanks for your impressions, and I will keep this in mind. Anyway at the moment I dont feel to work on this map and I will return to work on my other project.

At first sight, I could't tell if the ceiling was a sky or a rough dark flat. The uniform ceiling height doesn't look natural for an outdoor. Not even for an indoor cave, for that matter.

The heart is part of the HUD, not part of the lantern. I think. :p

Now I see you're right, looking at Chu's other screenshots. I didn't think of that, it looks so much like hanging on the edge of the lantern by that thin pink vessel...

It all looks like something low-budget from around the early 00s. I'm thinking mostly Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi.

Low-budget it definitely is. Target platform is the Dreamcast, which might explain why we're developing low-poly models and textures. Though, the key is offsetting everything by dynamic lighting. The model format is about to be upgraded to MD5 so we can have more advanced looking (and less memory intensive) assets, and directional planar shadows based on dynamic lights are being implemented for the game world as well (which will be available soon in a new release of 3DGE itself).

At this point for Hypertension, I have removed Doom's diminished lighting system in place of completely flat lighting. The game world is lit at ~60 sector brightness, so it's entirely up to dynamic lights and sector colormaps. There are a few instances where we will implement sector shading to have finer control, but we want to convey a realistically dark world, so the sector brightness and diminishing had to go. Sector glows are being used, though they aren't bright either.

Chu: Cool video. Maybe player gasped a bit too hard after only a little time spent underwater.

joe-ilya: You could use upper/lower unpegs on the window on the green building, and some light levels. I guess it looks kinda 90s level.

Modelled all the weapons, their ammos and the basic health items. I think I'll add some more detail on player's torso and make the main armor items from it. I've tried to balance the weapons, so that every one would have some use, even when player has every weapon.

Tried some textures with some shapes on them. Used max 4 colors on each texture, except the sky has 8. I think I'll let the glowing flats and dynamic lights to create the fades into the textures. I think there's also a Doom64 like color fade feature doable with XG line types. Apparently Doomsday still doesn't render large textures on floors/ceilings properly. I think the vertical stretching of the world becomes more visible with the simple textures too.

I should think of some name for this thing...