Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

@Jimi: I'm loving all your stuff dude! The flat textures make everything look clean and planar.

I'm finishing the alpha to my Map07 replacement and I decided to have a proper "Dead Simple" style courtyard to end the map on. I'm thinking of changing sky1 to a nighttime sky lit by many bright stars and a huge full moon (so outdoor areas can still be bright). The courtyard is the best place in the map to see the sky itself, so any thoughts on that?

(P.S.: I have no idea how to reliably teleport monsters in so that imp is the only threat when you see the courtyard)

I also would like some advice on this little hallway:

It's not important and it just leads you to a tiny little-detailed room with a vital switch, but I feel like it needs more decoration every time I pass it. Maybe even another room? Any ideas?

If you want you can download it and play around or whatever. I don't want to make a new thread in WADs for a single map, especially an unfinished one. The layout's pretty much finished so that's how it'll play. Map07, difficulty options, Doom 2, 100% vanilla compatible.

@Allie: In your first screenshot, get rid of the paper-thin building on the left, it doesn't look good. The hallway: Remove torches, the corridor is already cramped and putting more obstacles into player's way would needlessly impede his movement. I see it as a simple connective hallway, I don't think it needs any detail. But if you really want it, put a hole/alcove into the wall (like a built-in shelf), 16 or 32 unit tall, and lead it horizontally all the way along the hallway, put some fitting texture or maybe candles in it.

@scifista42 Yeah, the paper-thin building is already fixed.

After posting that image I got fed up enough to change it.

As for the hallway, the lamps were a last-ditch to sate my mind, but I guess I can live with it if the hallway is barren. Maybe I can change around some lightlevels or whatever.

You can dig little alcoves in the sides of the corridor and put the torches there. As long as the collision box for the torches doesn't extend far enough to possibly snag the player, it should be fine.

@gaspe: The fire inside works better with the right picture, but the left picture looks nicer overall to me imo. Kinda reminds me of the Hexen belltower, actually.

gaspe: I prefer the left picture (with the mossy green), myself. I think the supporting wall on the lower right of the shot would look better as a darker texture in either case, incidentally.

Edit: Foreboding, Eris. Huzzah for overcast lighting!

I think it might look nicer with higher mountains and ceiling height in general.

@gaspe: I prefer the right picture. The green + grey surface on the left one looks slightly distracting to me, plus the green clashes with orange and blue a little oddly. The right picture is entirely OK, and the color is more natural for bricks.

@Eris Falling: Nice, atmospheric, natural, not overly ambutious but still impressive. Good.

@Rayzik: Also nice. Maybe it could use some ceiling detail next to the walls, and some light source decorations here and there.

Demon of the Well said:

I think the supporting wall on the lower right of the shot would look better as a darker texture in either case, incidentally.

It works very well, thanks! Anyway I think that I will opt for the brown bricks but of a different material:

Though I still think that the green version has his charm:

@Eris Falling: That's really beautiful! I like those low hills.

@Rayzik: It looks very nice!

gaspe: I think the brown contrasts with the sky better. The bright grey details feel a bit off, maybe these are better on the green, but still a little too bright.

Some more of these: Berserk, Invisibility, SuperCharge, Red Keycard, Imp, Demon, the Big Badasses, Knights in Yellow and some Unspeakable Horrors. The darker Imp has more health and they and the Barons throw 2 fireballs in their attack sequence. Demons run faster.

scifista42 said:

@Rayzik: Also nice. Maybe it could use some ceiling detail next to the walls, and some light source decorations here and there.

Is this better? Those lights glow to full bright and total dark every ~2-3 seconds.

Yea, I hope so. I've thought that I'd release when this has a name, and when Knee-Deep in the Dead could be played with these without seeing any sprites. Currently missing models for 12 things: 3 powerups, 7 decorations and the Tele&Item fogs. Texture and monster sound replacements sometime later, all the weapons have new sounds. I'll probably make a couple new levels too. The level on the screenshots is pretty much complete.

Also it seems the flat shading was a bad idea for framerate. All the models have pretty big vertex counts from the flat shading. The Hell Knight/Baron model has 379 vertices when none of them are split for the flat shading. With the flat shading it's got 1538 vertices! Some models could have a chosen few areas that are split to give the hard edge look in them.

Jimi said:

Also it seems the flat shading was a bad idea for framerate. All the models have pretty big vertex counts from the flat shading.

FYI: Although it doesn't help you right now, we are currently working on a new model renderer for Doomsday, that supports newer model formats (like MD5) and shifts much of the burden of transforming and lighting model instances onto the GPU. This method should be significantly faster (magnitudes) once completed.