Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CosmicXIII

Orkus ( small map/need feedback )

hihi, have a fda: https://www.mediafire.com/?r0collg80rjgcb3

I liked it. gameplay was a bit sloppy, but I'm diggin the willingness to be unexpectedly harsh. Also that green building was pretty nifty looking, though a bit more stark lighting contrast on the various layers would make it pop a bit more.

some misc thoughts:
- you can hit the 4 cyb switches without lowering the floors, I think
- RL placement is kinda wonky, I had killed everything in the map with the ssg by the time I got around to acquiring it. The ledges were flooded with revs and an AV so I never felt it was really safe to make a run for it until much later.
- the shell placement in the cyb room is kind of annoying, ended up picking up several boxes at like 98, wasting lotsa ammo. Guess it really doesn't matter because there's waaaay more than you need in that room, but it would make doomguy feel less wasteful if they were put against walls or something :)
- from the final ledge area you can get onto the "outskirts" of the map and wander about, not sure if this was intended.

Fun, litte map with a solid theme and style! You have some good ideas in terms of gameplay as well. Overall, I liked it :) Played on HMP using zDoom.

Here's some things I noticed, which I'd look closer at if it was my level:

• A good rule is never to place Medikits and shells in front of switches or the path of the player. Move them to the sides so the player has more control of when to pick them up.
  • The imps on the ledge becomes a bit tideous to take down, as they can't all spawn before some of them are killed. Perhaps have them spawn at various other spots on the surrounding cliffs in order to catch the player in a bit of a crossfire.
  • On a related note to the above, the fight against the ground troops in the form of Imps and their Revenant buddies, it kinda became a shooting gallery where I hid behind a corner and just took em out in chunks with the SSG. Not exactly exciting stuff. If on the other hand, they could surround me, as in, if there is more than one hole in the fence AND we had Imps on the cliffs behind me, then it'd be a completely different situation ;)
  • The CD never appeared. I just clicked the swith and ran for the exit :( I'm guessing he's supposed to teleport in or something.
  • Maybe put a fence or make the lines to sector 117 impassable. It's a bit weird that you are able to walk around on top that/those area(s).
That's some of the stuff I noticed. I hope you continue making levels, you've got a knack for it.

Not bad, but all the map's challenge was rather inefficient. Beginning was trivial. Then the Cyberdemon wasn't difficult to slowly take down, if I had the patience to play with caution, that's good, though. Yeah, I believe the switches could have been pressed prematurely (player can press any switches within 64-unit range and regardless on vertical Z position). Then the final horde was too big to take down just with an SSG, nor it was challenging -> not really fun at all. Ammo was unbalanced, those shell boxes lying all around often caused me to pick them up "by accident" and waste the pickups when I was nearly full of ammo. The map looked okay. Keep up the good work. Remember to "effectivize" the challenge you want to give to the player, because just mindlessly shooting into a consistent enemy crowd isn't fun enough.

The grumpy old man inside me (or maybe that's just what I've become) is really offended that we don't, at least, get a simple "thank you" for the feedback on your map. A guy like Ribbiks really knows what he's talking about and even provided a demo. That kinda deserves some recognition. Sorry, but I just get easily offended on matters like this. Or maybe it's just one of those things, where the Internet and me are miles apart...

I'm not sure, Chris, it's only been less than 2 days. It should be okay. Maybe CosmicXIII just waited for more replies. Or he can't frequent the forums so often. He haven't posted anything for 36 hours by now, anyway.

I really hope that you're correct, scifista42. But I'm just not used to people asking for help or feedback on a forum and then waiting 2 days to reply.

Nevermind. The old man is blind. I just noticed OP was edited on the 13th. I'll retract into my shell now.

I've just redownloaded the newer version from the OP. Player1 start is misplaced now, player appears right in the final area. Also the switch in this area can still be pressed without lowering the floor.

Hey guys,

I am totally impressed by the quality and usefulness of your feedback.
Awesome community !!!

I am now 30 years old.(kind of old now :P )
I have never used facebook nor any other social media madness.
(luckily due no need for buisness)

My point is i am a forum "leecher" not used to reply and post in reasonable intervals.

But i get your point!

Reflective thinking: I would be offended too :)

When i read a post it is like "I am really grateful for every feedback (usually the harsh ones are more helpful due the objectivity)
but i just dont know what to answer".

A simple thank you cheers as a copy paste reply...hmm i dont know

But please do not misunderstand me.
I affirm improvement in the quality of my forum behaviour.

PS: got a new computer so need a few days to fix the map

cheers