Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Phml

Mount and Blade is free on GOG

There are sequels and DLCs available at cheaper prices right now... are they worth it as well?

They're also doing something for Witcher 2. You gotta go to their front page, find the Witcher 2 banner, and click some "stamp". The next day (or some hours later, I think it changes), you can go back and do it again. Once you get 7, you get the game. Digital stamp collecting feels a bit silly, but I guess it's a pretty decent way to get people to visit the front page and scroll through the stuff they have on sale.

Coincides with the Steam 75% off sale. They've been doing that a lot lately. Gotta compete with free.

There are sequels and DLCs available at cheaper prices right now... are they worth it as well?

My only experience with the series is M&B Warband, which from what I gather from other people is essentially the original Mount and Blade with the kinks ironed out and with multiplayer battles, the definite experience.

M&B With Fire & Sword is divisive. It adds firearms, which according to some people messes with gameplay balance.

M&B Napoleonic Wars is a multiplayer DLC, I haven't taken a look at it.

M&B Warband Viking Conquest is an upcoming modder-gone-pro add-on campaign with several new features (likely SP oriented? their previous mod is SP). Haven't tried the original mod by the same team myself, but it seems very popular in the community.

Basically, I think if you want to get started with the series, M&B Warband on its own is your best bet (but vanilla M&B should be pretty close for those interested in the SP part of the game). The games are discounted relatively often for -75%; just about in every major Steam sale, plus every now and then in between.

Warband + Napoleonic Wars = friggin' awesome multiplayer, though expect to be dead a LOT. Though I mean, the time it takes to load a shot, combined with a certain amount of randomness in firing, really does add to the excitement. And there really is something impressive when groups get organized enough to have firing lines and whatnot, as opposed to when everyone just runs off and does their own thing. Though for singleplayer, personally, nothing beats the original for me. Played it way way back when it was still in beta, so I always end up feeling a tad lost with the new content they added in Warband (and Fire and Ice, for that matter). Either way you slice it though, it's definitely a very unique and fun game - combination RPG and first-person medieval combat simulator, and whether you're cutting down a small band or leading an army, it's definitely a lot of fun.