Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Death Egg

DeHackEd to DECORATE conversion?

I was wondering if there was some easy way to convert things from DeHackEd to DECORATE? An automatic converting executable would be nice, but I highly doubt that exists, so I'll settle for some kind of documentation to explain how to port things from one to the other. I've looked for some time but nothing has come up from where I've searched.

Unfortunately, there is no conversion tool (at least not that I know of). Randi has made a few tools in the past for converting older zdoom content into the newer format (i.e. zdoom 1.22 MAPINFO lump to 2.3.1+ MAPINFO lump), but as zdoom already has built in support for dehacked 2.0 and boom extended dehacked (.BEX, dehacked 3.0), there has never been a need.

However, I do encourage you to go through some decorate examples like the ones zdoom uses in its main wad file to identify vanilla monsters and such. The codepointers are very similar, and wisely so: it allows users familiar with dehacked to pick up on modifying frames in decorate immediately.

The primary advantage that decorate has over dehacked is that you can add frames, and don't have to rely on replacing them. Therefore, a batch conversion from dehacked to decorate would take that advantage away.

Does this help you?

Believe me, I'm not the smartest guy, and if I can figure out decorate, I'm sure you can too.

Yeah, that helps some, thanks. On a side note, anyone know how to extract a deh file from a wad, because SLADE just saves it as a .txt file and XWE saves it as a .lmp file, and renaming either as a .deh file won't let it open up in WhackEd4. EDIT: Nevermind, the fact it's saving it as a txt file isn't the issue, something about how I'm loading it is. If it helps, the dehacked was designed for use with Doom Legacy with both Doom and Heretic tables.

Death Egg said:

both Doom and Heretic tables.

I suspect it's the Heretic content that's upsetting WhackEd, could you post a copy of the patch?

Death Egg said:

Yeah, that helps some, thanks. On a side note, anyone know how to extract a deh file from a wad, because SLADE just saves it as a .txt file and XWE saves it as a .lmp file, and renaming either as a .deh file won't let it open up in WhackEd4. EDIT: Nevermind, the fact it's saving it as a txt file isn't the issue, something about how I'm loading it is. If it helps, the dehacked was designed for use with Doom Legacy with both Doom and Heretic tables.

deh files are text files

GreyGhost said:

I suspect it's the Heretic content that's upsetting WhackEd, could you post a copy of the patch?

The two level packs here are the ones I'm trying to port over to the most recent GZDoom version of TUCQ. There's only a couple of things I actually need to be ported over from the dehacked file, and most of it is just Doom II stuff anyway. The only thing that's giving me trouble is an enemy called the Arachnus. I'm not particularly experienced with either DeHackEd or DECORATE, so the frames stuff kinda goes over my head sometimes. I've managed to get most of it ported over though.

I'll see if I have better luck with that patch, maybe after I've removed the Heretic references.

VGA said:

deh files are text files

Not always. The original format was a binary blob which you'll still encounter now and then, though AFAIK that format's not supported by any source port.