• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joe-ilya

Lost maps 2 : More!

Tarnsman said:

I am not a toy for your amusement

What letter are you on in maxidoom?

Hell yeah, as expected this was pretty fun for some crowded multiplayer. My favorite maps were 8 (very exciting start), 13 (good HR feel), 15 (long and epic 90s style adventure with badass soundtrack) and 16 (short and fast-paced, very effective layout and monster placement). I also liked the somewhat unusual selection of midis, some of them are really groovy. :)

joe-ilya said:

Fixed more bugs and added new sounds, edited the text file a little.

I'm still stated as an author!

scifista42 said:

I'm still stated as an author!

There's no escape :o

Okay so, I think it's great and everything that you are attempting to improve and all that, but you really need to slow down, stop trying to get involved in every group project, and keep more things to yourself. I don't think there's really much need for this wad to exist in the first place, but that is behind us now.

First, I will start with the presentation. I am greeted by a title screen composed of a very badly compressed modified Green Day album cover, which sadly sets the tone of the entire wad file. Luckily, there remains some clever personality in the edited text, which I can truly not be critical of. I start the map to a cozy christmas house from your christmas mapping collaboration. For much of this map I cannot really be mad in the overall design and exucution. I thought it was cute and small. However one terrible thing that sets this map apart from being very well done is the music. I can understand that you really enjoy the band Green Day, but the compressed midi-versions sound completely awful and do not fit in well with any of the map themes at all, which is sad because this is a somewhat well-done map from you.

The second thing I took notice of is the lighting and texture placements. I though it was cute in the first level how the fridge is made up of a cutoff wolf3d texture, but the color scheme doesn't fit and it looks like the fridge is cut in half. Another thing to note is the map boundaries, they are really not designed well. It just seems awkward how you define where the map ends. Alternatively you could put some rocks or scenery to draw attention away from it, but it always looks irregular and unnatural, even after some of the other maps.

The last thing I want to mention is the monsters and difficulty in certain maps. The library map in particular feels overly claustrophobic and suffers from not well thought-out enemy placement. Higher monster counts doesn't automatically make the map harder unless you take into account where the player will be and the structure of the levels. It seemed completely random where each monster was and this sort of difficulty seems to intoxicate some of the later maps as well.

In conclusion, the only advice I can really give to you is to learn your limits. Some maps work out well and could be better refined to make a nicely done map. Another thing I recommend is designing your maps extensively and playtesting it to fit a playstyle suitable to your audience before releasing it. I think if you took these things into affect, your mapping skill and title will no longer be a joke or a meme among this forum.

Just started playing this tonight and am enjoying it so far. I liked your last set (though admit I haven't finished it yet), but I think this is starting off stronger. The first map is kinda ridiculous and the textures don't fit the Christmas theme at all. After that things turn better. Pub Fight! is a lot of fun. Love how it starts out so crowded. Very Joe Ilya. It also includes these unorthodox toilets:

The music is a midi version of "Rock Lobster" by the B-52's, is it not? Pretty sure an earlier level uses a Green Day song, but I'm unsure. Here's one more enticing screen from the level:

Library! is the last level I played and is my favorite so far. I think it does a good job of capturing the Ilya style while still feeling like a Scifista level. A challenge with many options for getting through it. The final ambush annoyed me at first, but once I figured out a strategy for getting around to the other end of the monster horde so I could fight the archvile head-on, my mind changed. Here are some interesting screens:

The architecture here has the detail typical of Scifista, but with the weirdness of Joe Ilya.

Also, more toilets:

I too am up to the library map. I'm having a blast! Something about going around recklessly chainsawing everything in a public library makes me laugh out loud. I can honestly say I may play this and replay it in the future.

It's pretty discouraging to listen to peoples almost memetic 'spend more time on your maps' responses to Joe ilyas work. Mapping doesn't always have to be so serious for it to be enjoyable and i couldn't imagine a more pessimistic and dreadful life to live in the shoes of someone who thinks it does. Especially because I don't have nearly as much fun in the maps of some of the people who posted in this thread as I do in Joe ilyas, yet people tend to be less critical of it because they respect the fact that the individual tried really hard to embellish the seriousness of their work.

I wish I had gotten to participate in the coop server, you're a great guy for hosting it, memfis :)

Thanks, Toxie Rocks, I find your praise encouraging. I wasn't even aware that I have a recognizable detailing style.

MIDI list
01 - Bad religion - can't stop it
02 - Green day - minority
03 - D_THE_DA from TNT
04 - D_RUNNIN from ASDFGHJKL6.wad
05 - Tsoi Viktor - krasno zoltie dni (red-yellow days)
06 - Tsoi Viktor - Grupa Krovi (Blood group)
07 - D_STALKER from CChest4.wad
08 - Queens of the stone age - Auto pilot
09 - Commander keen 5 - make it tigher
10 - Queens of the stone age - first it giveth
11 - Sublime - what i got
12 - Sublime - right back
13 - ROTT - Where Izit
14 - Nirvana - serve the servants
15 - RATM - Township Rebellion
16 - Green day - uptight
17 - D_COUNTD from doom2 (will be replaced by "Millencolin - no cigar"
18 - Green day - 16
19 - D_RUNNIN from doom2
20 - Nirvana - swap meet
21 - Green day - geek stink breath
22 - Green day - waiting
23 - Weezer - surf wax america
24 - Linking park - in the end
25 - Alice in chains - man in the box
26 - D_STLKS2 from Icarus
27 - Bad religion - 21th century (digital boy)
28 - Green day - armatage shanks
29 - Disturbed - sons of plunder
30 - Slayer - chronics
31 - D_ROMERO from doom2
32 - Bad religion - individual
Title - Green day - having a blast
Intermission - Green day - chump
Text - Green day - walking contradiction

Ponqo said:

In conclusion, the only advice I can really give to you is to learn your limits.

No, no and no. Worst advice ever to give anyone. Don't ever limit yourself. Just get better, and then get great. practice is all you need.

raymoohawk said:

lrts do a doom the way joe illya would have commucnity project

Or there would be "Joe-Ilya Tune-up Community Project", where people will take joe-ilya's maps as a base and attempt to improve them, in the same spirit as 1994 Tune-up did.

Oh man 40oz, I feel bad for not thinking about that. I Have more fun with some of joe-ilya's maps than others and that's the most important part to me... also that community project idea does sound really nice

scifista42 said:

Or there would be "Joe-Ilya Tune-up Community Project", where people will take joe-ilya's maps as a base and attempt to improve them, in the same spirit as 1994 Tune-up did.

This idea also crossed my mind.

scifista42 said:

Really good idea of yours.

scifista42 said:

Not gonna lie, I actually like this idea.

There should also be a reverse project where non joe-ilya maps get converted to joe-ilya style.

Breezeep said:

The Joe Ilya tune up project needs to happen.

Lol I've actually begun tuning up the map mentioned in my previous post (Map12: Toxic refinery). Maybe he will give me permission to release it when it's finished.

Spoiler

Old

New