Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Is anybody working on a Blood source port?

Recommended Posts

I know the source for Blood was never released but I heard there is something called the XL engine which aims to be a port of many build engine games including blood. I haven't heard much about the progress being made by that port for a while now. Is it dead or something? And is there anyone else trying to create something that looks like a port for Blood? The version of the gmae that you can get from GoG works fine enough, but it would be even better having a proper port.

Share this post


Link to post

Short answer: no.


Long answer: there are three Blood engine recreation projects.

1. Jace Hall's "ZDaemon-like" port. Status: dead after Atari refused to talk about it because of their going bankrupt.

2. Lucius' BloodXL clone. Status: in very deep sleep, what with being in fourth position behind DaggerXL, DarkXL, and OutlawsXL. And also what with DaggerXL not having had any visible progress for years.

3. Randy Heit's "ZBlood" efforts in reverse-engineering. Status: quite unlikely.

In conclusion: no, at least not for the foreseeable future.

Share this post


Link to post

The comatose state of the XL Engine depresses me greatly. I remember seeing a DaggerXL video with amazing terrain a few years ago, but I don't know if I'll ever be able to play it myself.

Share this post


Link to post
jute said:

The comatose state of the XL Engine depresses me greatly. I remember seeing a DaggerXL video with amazing terrain a few years ago, but I don't know if I'll ever be able to play it myself.


The great irony is that the reason for why the XL engine was made (unless I am mistaken) is because the source code for the games are missing or because the people who have the rights refuse to release them, and yet the creator of XL refuses to make XL open-source himself so others can finish the work, even though he hasn't done much himself for years it seems.

Share this post


Link to post

Well there is two more projects not listed:Transfusion and Eblood TC, Transfusion has multiplayer complete and most things done except single player i think and it uses Darkplaces, Eblood uses eduke32 and attempts to recreate the entire Blood game accuratly except multiplayer which dosen't work, it has the first 2 episodes complete but is missing cutscenes, most weapons are working and so are the enemies.
Of all projects listed here i think Eblood is the most complete at the moment.
Here's the link to Eblood if you are interested:http://m210.duke4.net/index.php/files/viewdownload/3-eduke32/38-blood-crossmatching

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't list TCs.

Share this post


Link to post
SuperflyJohnson said:

I really wish the IP was up for sale so a party that actually gives a shit could do something, anything, with it.

It was probably bought and possibly forgotten. I don't know Atari's situation but when a studio goes bankrupt it's catalog of intellectual properties is usually bundled together and sold. Sometimes popular IPs are sold independently when it's name recognition can demand high prices, but the majority of titles like Blood would be sold in bulk. Kind of like in some auctions where you have to buy a whole box of mugs to get the one you want. Some company could own Blood and not know of it's existence or thinks it's worth enough to invest time and money into.

Share this post


Link to post

I really wish Jace could just release the data under the radar and if they find out just make out he doesn't know how or even that someone hacked into his files or something, but that's assuming he has the files sicne I've forgotten about most of what was said back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Technician said:

It was probably bought and possibly forgotten. I don't know Atari's situation but when a studio goes bankrupt it's catalog of intellectual properties is usually bundled together and sold. Sometimes popular IPs are sold independently when it's name recognition can demand high prices, but the majority of titles like Blood would be sold in bulk. Kind of like in some auctions where you have to buy a whole box of mugs to get the one you want. Some company could own Blood and not know of it's existence or thinks it's worth enough to invest time and money into.


That's not Blood's IP case. Atari owns it. They put it for sale on Steam recently. Blood's ownership is clear. They just don't release the source code to their games. IF blood was in IP limbo like strife it wouldn't be for sale on digital stores. Atari turned down Jason hall because they didn't want to submit source code to him for his zdaemon-like project. Atari are dickheads basically. They own the ip, but don't want to exploit it any other way than the trickle down earnings from having it sit on steam and gog bundled with dosbox with minimum advertising. And they don't want to sell the IP either.

Share this post


Link to post
doomgargoyle said:

That's not Blood's IP case. Atari owns it. They put it for sale on Steam recently. Blood's ownership is clear. They just don't release the source code to their games. Atari turned down Jason hall because they didn't want to submit source code to him for his zdaemon-like project. Atari are dickheads basically. They own the ip, but don't want to exploit it any other way than the trickle down earnings from having it sit on steam and gog bundled with dosbox with minimum advertising. And they don't want to sell the IP either.

Exactly what you said.
However i would blame Atari and Jace Hall, Atari because they are corrupt and greedy which explains why they don't release the source code to the game and Jace Hall because he didn't release the source code, instead he keeped it to himself and then it was sold to those corrupt bastards of Atari and now there is no way the source code will ever see the light of the day.
Now we can only hope that the XLEngine gets in beta state so we can play Blood or wait till' M210 completes his Blood TC.

Share this post


Link to post

Then it looks like we're fucked. We can only hope we find out who bought Strife in the future and pray that they're more community friendly.

Share this post


Link to post
J.B.R said:

Exactly what you said.
However i would blame Atari and Jace Hall, Atari because they are corrupt and greedy which explains why they don't release the source code to the game and Jace Hall because he didn't release the source code, instead he keeped it to himself and then it was sold to those corrupt bastards of Atari and now there is no way the source code will ever see the light of the day.
Now we can only hope that the XLEngine gets in beta state so we can play Blood or wait till' M210 completes his Blood TC.


Monolith were very careless and short-sighted when they were developing their titles. They didnt care about them after they shipped, they just moved to the next. That's why the Blood source code was kept unreleased for long, and the reason why NOLF is in questionable IP ownership status now. That's another Monolith title that's very sought after, and like Strife, is in IP limbo thanks to their carelessness.

Share this post


Link to post
Technician said:

Then it looks like we're fucked. We can only hope we find out who bought Strife in the future and pray that they're more community friendly.


That wouldnt be too difficult, if one or many people got organized and hired a bunch of lawyers to seek out where the IP went to. But that costs money.

Share this post


Link to post
Technician said:

Some of the horse shit the mods pull is worse than the poster in question.


I look at it as a second chance to known Doomworld posters.
Known doomworlders do things for which new ones would be insta-losered.

--- on topic ;
i always hoped transfusion would make some progress, but looking at
its state and the years it has been like that... :/

Share this post


Link to post

I always wanted to find the holder for PowerSlave and try to bargain for the rights to it. Unfortunatly, I think it was partuially owned by Midway and WizardWorks, or something, and basically anything either of them touched is very much our of reach.

Well, seeing that Carnivores has been making a big resurgence, the hold WizardWorks had on Action Form titles may have slipped. In which case, I wonder if anything is happening with Chasm: The Rift.

Share this post


Link to post
Clonehunter said:

In which case, I wonder if anything is happening with Chasm: The Rift.

I was actually debating shooting them an email asking if they would consider releasing the source under a GNU GPL license. I'd love to see the game live on and improved by it's fans.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, after a shitload of heckling, they did release the source to Carnivores 1/2/IA. However they only handed it out too the staff of what was like the only Carnivores community in existence, who used to for some extensive modding. They (Staff) only gave it to others community members who could actually contribute to their projects.

So, it could be likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Technician said:

Some of the horse shit the mods pull is worse than the poster in question.


What is some of that horse shit that the mods pull? I feel like i've been wrongly down-modded.

Share this post


Link to post
FireFish said:

I look at it as a second chance to known Doomworld posters.
Known doomworlders do things for which new ones would be insta-losered.

--- on topic ;
i always hoped transfusion would make some progress, but looking at
its state and the years it has been like that... :/


big fucking circle-jerk between the oldtimers and the mods i see...

Share this post


Link to post
Technician said:

Then it looks like we're fucked. We can only hope we find out who bought Strife in the future and pray that they're more community friendly.

Strife is currently in good hands. More info to come soon.

Share this post


Link to post

That was not legal. Amazon.com has removed the ability to purchase that product, probably as a result of the DMCA complaint I filed with them, on account of it distributing my work on Chocolate Strife without complying with the license.

I can't say anything more. It's called a non-disclosure agreement. You'll find out with everybody else.

Share this post


Link to post
Quasar said:

That was not legal. Amazon.com has removed the ability to purchase that product, probably as a result of the DMCA complaint I filed with them, on account of it distributing my work on Chocolate Strife without complying with the license.

I can't say anything more. It's called a non-disclosure agreement. You'll find out with everybody else.


I seriously doubt it was because they listened to you.

Share this post


Link to post
doomgargoyle said:

big fucking circle-jerk between the oldtimers and the mods i see...


you misinterpreted the post you responded to.

I suspect the giant red tekst to be a second chance warning, telling posters to
change or be losered instead of making an instant loser out of people who
registered long before the offense.

- excuse my derailing.

Share this post


Link to post
Quasar said:

Strife is currently in good hands. More info to come soon.

Ooh, sounds interesting. I'll be eagerly watching this.

doomgargoyle said:

big fucking circle-jerk between the oldtimers and the mods i see...

doomgargoyle said:

Fuck soon, speak out now, biatch.

You're obnoxious and entitled. Stop it.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×