Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

"Claustrophobia: Cybertown" - Boom megaWAD (WIP, 3/32)

Everyone's tired of 1024 concept, but I passion to Clau1024 is still the same. After visiting some places in Pécs, Hungary I've never been I realized that some rooms, building and streets in cities are actually crowded, and I decided to make an 1024 megaWAD based on this concept.

So in short: "Claustrophobia: Cybertown" is going to be a 32-level megaWAD in which the area for the player is limited to 1024x1024 units, but it's strongly story-driven as well! The player is progressively going through the buildings of his hometown, often returning to previously visited places.

In design, I make details outside of the 1024 square extensively, often keeping rooms from previous maps to provide the possibly strongest feeling of progress and making the environment more realistic.

That's about my WAD in short. There are no custom pics or music yet, only the texture set is changed - cc4tex.wad.

Progress: 3 maps are finished and fille with tested gameplay. 3 maps are mostly finished in architecture.

More screenshots here, in mixed order.

Download here.

This is the 2nd time when you re-released a wad after a longer time and left in critical bugs which I've previously reported (bugged damaging floors and a place to get stuck in MAP01, etc.). First time it was with your D1 maps.

Anyway, good luck with the project.

Kind of fun. You're using a lot of non-iwad textures so the maps look unique at least. I recommend using more than one destination for teleporting monsters to make the process a lot faster.

scifista42 said:

This is the 2nd time when you re-released a wad after a longer time and left in critical bugs which I've previously reported (bugged damaging floors and a place to get stuck in MAP01, etc.). First time it was with your D1 maps.

Yeah, I remembered this. Seems that I forgot answering. Anyways, the light sectors were made to damaging ones by purpose. Those places are under electricity.

Memfis said:

Kind of fun. You're using a lot of non-iwad textures so the maps look unique at least. I recommend using more than one destination for teleporting monsters to make the process a lot faster.

Wow, Memfis loved it, yaaay! *.*

Thanks for the tip, too.

Katamori said:

the light sectors were made to damaging ones by purpose. Those places are under electricity.

It's really weird and I disliked it (deals too much damage without the blue armor), but okay. There's still an inescapable non-damaging pit behind the first of the 2 blinking and damaging pillars which I was supposed to jump over.

scifista42 said:

It's really weird and I disliked it (deals too much damage without the blue armor), but okay. There's still an inescapable non-damaging pit behind the first of the 2 blinking and damaging pillars which I was supposed to jump over.

Well, consider that there are two of such areas: one is optional. The other is the way that leads to the key. I may change that, I still have to decide.

The pit you're talking about are between the pillars? There MUST be an elevator, I'm sure about it.

There is no elevator behind the first pillar. In fact, in my first playthrough, I've fallen there by an actual accident, not as a test of "pit-escapability".

Also, punishing the player by random heavy damage for his pure curiosity is a pretty terrible design choice. IMO, exploration should be rewarded, not punished, and specially not in such a gimmicky and unexpected way. That's my point of view.

Ah, so you mean THAT pit! I'm sorry then.

I'll take your advice as well. I didn't think of it in this aspect.

I looked at the maplist and I'm very interested in what you have in mind for MAP32. :D Let me know if you need any snazzy bits 'o DeHackEd work.

Obsidian said:

I looked at the maplist and I'm very interested in what you have in mind for MAP32. :D

Are you reading in my mind??? I just wondered about that map some minutes ago I swear!

Though, I started realizing that it's not as simple as I thought, especially for 1024. Still not impossible with a fistful of creativity!

Let me know if you need any snazzy bits 'o DeHackEd work.

Hey, that's not a bad idea! Thanks!