Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

[SPRITE REQUEST] Lovecraftian Abomination

Crosspost from ZDoom.

I'm going to construct a boss battle for a project I've got in the works and I need some suitably macabre sprites to work with. What I'm hoping for is something inspired by Lovecraftian literature, be it a giant flesh wyrm or something like Shub-Niggurath from Quake.

Things it needs.
-It needs to be stationary, as if it has just burst out of the earth to attack you
-It doesn't need rotation frames, but it does need quite a few idling frames(tentacles writhing and suchlike)
-It needs to be of a fairly decent size
-It needs to transfer to the Doom palette

Also, this one isn't as urgent but would be greatly appreciated: I'd also like smaller versions of the boss to act as minions. I could probably do without them, but I'd be very grateful if someone could pull it off. Credits will naturally be given in the textfile.

Got any more info on what the creature does to challenge the player? Melee swipes? Ranged attacks? If the latter - hitscan or missile, etc. Got a particular Lovecraft story in mind? I've read a few but have so far not been able to reach any descriptions of the gigantic old ones in the flesh. I've read a lot of his penpal Howard's works though (Conan, largely - and some Kull) - and there seems to be a conceptual correlation.

Obsidian said:

Crosspost from ZDoom.

I'm going to construct a boss battle for a project I've got in the works and I need some suitably macabre sprites to work with. What I'm hoping for is something inspired by Lovecraftian literature, be it a giant flesh wyrm or something like Shub-Niggurath from Quake.

Things it needs.
-It needs to be stationary, as if it has just burst out of the earth to attack you
-It doesn't need rotation frames, but it does need quite a few idling frames(tentacles writhing and suchlike)
-It needs to be of a fairly decent size
-It needs to transfer to the Doom palette

Also, this one isn't as urgent but would be greatly appreciated: I'd also like smaller versions of the boss to act as minions. I could probably do without them, but I'd be very grateful if someone could pull it off. Credits will naturally be given in the textfile.

EDIT:
I did a quick mockup. As I imagine it, this creature:
- fires 11 bolts of blue plasma, sequentially firing fast up, then down the six pods along its central trunk.
- alternately/randomly fires all six pods simultaneously in three interspersed bursts.
- slings BFG balls with its two arms.
- slashes melee for massive kickback & great damage (poison DOT cured by medikit?).
- could if needed move around on its little blue "cold-shield" plasmafeet...

I can't finish this creature to specifications in the immediate future, but if you like it, it could eventually be developed the way you've drawn it up.

Can't believe I didn't notice this post. Silly me...

The actual boss is going to be one of my DeHackEd abominations, so my available attacks are kind of limited. Here's what I can do with it:

-Spawn cubes in 4 directions(the sprite could be some sort of pulse attack)

-Several varied projectiles(a general "open mouth, barf projectiles" sort of sprite)

-Melee attack

-Pretty much it

What you've got so far looks pretty good so far, although the colours are a bit bright: maybe some more fleshy colours? Also some more tentacles would look quite good. Excellent stuff so far though! Thanks. :)

Obsidian said:

-Melee attack

You'll have a problem implementing that one in DEHACKED, because the player would have to approach the monster's center to less than 64 map units, which is impossible for a monster with a big radius. The monster won't even enter its melee state, ever.

scifista42 said:

You'll have a problem implementing that one in DEHACKED, because the player would have to approach the monster's center to less than 64 map units, which is impossible for a monster with a big radius.

Huh, really? Well scratch that I guess. I could have a ring of mini-tentacles to do the melee damage instead though, so there's always that.

Haven't you ever wondered why pinkies are so inefficient melee attackers (sometimes they even lose against lone imps!), or why big Doom(2)'s monsters don't have any melee? ;)

Obsidian said:

Can't believe I didn't notice this post. Silly me...

The actual boss is going to be one of my DeHackEd abominations, so my available attacks are kind of limited. Here's what I can do with it:

-Spawn cubes in 4 directions(the sprite could be some sort of pulse attack)

-Several varied projectiles(a general "open mouth, barf projectiles" sort of sprite)

-Melee attack

-Pretty much it

What you've got so far looks pretty good so far, although the colours are a bit bright: maybe some more fleshy colours? Also some more tentacles would look quite good. Excellent stuff so far though! Thanks. :)

At which height along the creature's length would the cubes emit? Do they emit simultaneously, or sequentially? I suppose they would share one firing frame?

At which height along the creature's length would the barf emit? I suppose this is a bit like the alpha BFG, and that all missiles exit from the same point simultaneously?

EDIT:
The bright purple/pinks are little used, so I set out to apply them in order to break some new ground for myself while working on the creature (besides, all those similar fleshreds are in the end quite taxing to work with on the ole' eyeballs). It can always be color remapped (or map-lit) later, but I've added a darker red outline to it and let the flesh-pink highlights spill out a bit, which is adding to its fleshyness. I'll try and turn these into stretched faces, per established Doom thematics.

scifista42 said:

You'll have a problem implementing that one in DEHACKED, because the player would have to approach the monster's center to less than 64 map units, which is impossible for a monster with a big radius. The monster won't even enter its melee state, ever.

I suppose non-moving enemies aren't much of a threat no matter their size... Theoretically, couldn't you have the creature have a small radius to allow for melee contact? Side effects would likely include the creature looking all weird up close and missiles flying through its sides, but might be worth a test. A shame to have those big tentacles hovering up there for nothing - UNLESS they are used for the missile attacks? Which would eliminate the need for a mouth opening...

Soundblock said:

At which height along the creature's length would the cubes emit?

From what I recall they emerge from the centre, but it isn't too important: like I said, a pulse sort of frame would cover it pretty easily.

they emit simultaneously, or sequentially? I suppose they would share one firing frame?

They all emit simultaneously.

At which height along the creature's length would the barf emit? I suppose this is a bit like the alpha BFG, and that all missiles exit from the same point simultaneously?

Pretty much. I can't alter where the missiles come from with DeHackEd. :/

I suppose non-moving enemies aren't much of a threat no matter their size... Theoretically, couldn't you have the creature have a small radius to allow for melee contact? Side effects would likely include the creature looking all weird up close and missiles flying through its sides, but might be worth a test.

Hmm...not sure how it'd work, but it might be possible with a few invisible blocking obstacles.

A shame to have those big tentacles hovering up there for nothing - UNLESS they are used for the missile attacks? Which would eliminate the need for a mouth opening...

I'd still keep the mouth in order to have some variety, but one of the tentacles sweeping and firing off a wave of projectiles would look quite good. Maybe decrease the height a little to make it look better.

Again, thanks for your help: can't wait till it's done, I've been wanting to test out this bad boy for ages. :3

Obsidian said:

From what I recall they emerge from the centre, but it isn't too important: like I said, a pulse sort of frame would cover it pretty easily.

Its important from the perspective of placing the pixels from where the missile barfing emits. A pre-alpha type screenshot would be helpful, if you can place out a quick mock-up using just the one frame and grab a screen when the missiles start emitting. The cube-pulse I can do without more info.

I've got other creatures in the works, so "sometime next year" is the best I can do for estimates.