Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doom III: The Legacy Movie

Hey, it's not that I mind that head with a rocket engine in its "ass", but I have a hard time accepting it as a lost soul - doesn't look much "soul-like" to me.

The more I think about it the more I'm getting convinced that this thing just takes over the role of the old lost soul (a floating cyborg head, which launches itself at the player), while the REAL new lost soul will be more like a ghostly skull, which possesses humans (remember that the 11 minute demo shows skulls flying into humans and turning them into zombies - if that doesn't scream "lost souls on the lookout for new bodies", I dunno what else it would be).

Imagine the new Pain elemental launching fiery ghost skulls at the player which cannot be shot and which explodes on impact with anything solid.

dsm said:

Are you telling me that THIS is the new Lost Soul???
It doesn't even LOOK like a lost soul, this thing looks ugly as Hell.

Yeah that's why it rules =)

Damn I love that thing, that and the Arachnotron.

boris said:

Heh, how did your computer manage that? According to VirtualDub the movie has 2195 frames on 7:19 minutes. That are exactly 5 frames per second.

And just how do you acquire this knowledge? Video properties?

Zaldron said:

No one's forcing anyone to buy a game, regardless of its name.

Oh, I'm going to buy the game all right, even if they mutilate every single of the old critters - but I'm still saying that they *could* have made it better by making it more true to the old game IMHO.

Then again, I AM slowly beginning to accept some of the things - I've started to like the new demon, I love the new imp (and SM/Arachnotron), and if this "new lost soul thing" just replaces the old lost soul as an enemy, then I'd likely start to like it too - but this thing shouldn't be called a "lost soul", that would be so horrendously lame that I wouldn't be able to find words to describe it.
Nah, the new game should have "real" lost souls in it, but they should be "reduced" to just "missiles" launched by a PE (or something) and not shootable (check my comment above).

And while on the subject of non-fitting names: The Cyberdemon should be in the new game, but it should be called something else - with all these cyborg critters in the new game, it would seem silly that *one* of them was called "cyberdemon" as all the demons with cybronic implants essentially would be "Cyberdemons".

Weedster said:

And just how do you acquire this knowledge? Video properties?

As I said, I used VirtualDub to get this information.

Zaldron said:

No one's forcing anyone to buy a game, regardless of its name.

Gee, I was expecting a much more foreceful flame than that. I am kinda disapointed. :)

My point, I guess, is that the cyber-neo horror premise has been done to death, even by id. We saw cyber-mechanicals in Quake2. Of course the graphics are better here, but they should be.

id had a chance to really get to the core idea of Doom: the etheral world of evil against the world of technology. I think they missed it, at least by what I have seen. These creatures look like they came out of a lab, not out of the pits of hell. Personally, I'd like to kick some demon ass, real demon ass, not some scientist's pet that escaped the incubation chamber.

Of course, I am making my judgement on a game very early in the development stage, so I still have some glimmer of hope. Time will tell.

Ok, go ahead and flame. :)

Well, we also saw SOME fully organic critters and I've also mentioned above that the game likely has REAL lost souls in it (this mechanical cyborg head just has to be new critter which takes over the old lost soul's role as enemies - it can't possibly be a "soul").
After all, Doom 2 had cybernetic critters too. If id just make a fine line between cyborgs and real organic demons, I'll be happy.

But if they make the cybernetic terrors dominant, then I'll probably join Wildman's (rather small) army.

At least they haven't made the imp cybernetic... it seems.

Fredrik said:

Birdman, Alien and Imp are organic.

[sarcasm]YAY, that's THREE!!! YEEHAW, TEH OLD DOOM FEEL IS RECAPTURED!!![/sarcasm]

dsm said:

[sarcasm]YAY, that's THREE!!! YEEHAW, TEH OLD DOOM FEEL IS RECAPTURED!!![/sarcasm]

Quit acting like a fucking moron. You haven't even SEEN all the friggin monsters, let alone fought against them. So don't say anything about the Doom feeling until you have hands on experience. Fuck, you didn't even seen the 11 minutes demo.