Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clonehunter

Jurassic World

On topic ;
The chances that any modern made movie could ever beat the originals are pretty small in my book.
They never get what it was all about, and focus on computer generated renders which look more out
of place then a plastic doll with strings attached to it.

off topic : the VHS stuff.
Rofl, it is no shame for people to use VHS if they like it. actually i have many dvds which just broke
while being treated as pure gold and vhs older then 15 years still working though highly degraded...
i tend to curse my ass off at how easy and just insanely fast dvd's break..

To be fully honest, I think digital media has made both dv's and VHS tapes pointless. Just plug your stuff into the tv and you got countless movies/shows which will never degrade in quality and there is no risk of losing them since you can make backups.

This looks bad, or at best screamingly mediocre. The CGI in the trailer is ropey. The dialogue is banal, and awfully delivered by Pratt. He's done OK in straight roles in the past, but here he sounds like Andy from Parks & Rec doing a cheesy action hero impression. And the GM dinosaurs idea suggests a lack of confidence and imagination. If you can't make dinosaurs scary or interesting without throwing in some cliched plot multiplier like genetic enhancement, then there's something wrong.

hardcore_gamer said:

To be fully honest, I think digital media has made both dv's and VHS tapes pointless. Just plug your stuff into the tv and you got countless movies/shows which will never degrade in quality and there is no risk of losing them since you can make backups.

Digital media is king when it's available. Thing is, as I pointed out, there's the occasional movie or TV show or whatever that never made the transition from VHS to DVD, and I've found that in those cases, sometimes getting a digital copy is virtually impossible, unless I suppose you (a) track down a VHS copy yourself, and (b) get ahold of equipment to transfer your VHS copy to digital. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, I'd totally do it if it weren't for the cost issue, but yeah, that can get kind of expensive.

Jonathan said:

If you can't make dinosaurs scary or interesting without throwing in some cliched plot multiplier like genetic enhancement, then there's something wrong.

That's a common problem with monster movie sequels. The beast has to be bigger, badder and/or smarter than it's predecessor, otherwise there's little point making the movie.

Well Jurassic World was awesome :)

saw it last night with super low expectations being a mega-fan of the first.

defintley suprised me at how well done it was... easily the best sequel of them all, and while it will never have that "magic" the first one did... it certainly has the "WOW!" factor to it. Pays alot of nostalgiac homage to the first... and the main actors were pretty good. Some of the side characters were bland, but they didn't focus on them long enough to care.

they went a little more dark and grizzly this time. wasn't expecting that... especially since the intro and trailers seemed "kiddie" friendly. Absolutely not the case... alot of ripping and tearing. ALOT. Took about 20 or 30 minutes to get going.. but once it does... hold onto yer butts.. the action and intensity just unleashes right to the epic end.

I am afraid I have to give this film a thumbs down. It's an enjoyable thrill ride, but I really had to suspend my disbelief towards the end. Also, the red head who ran the park really pissed me off and I wanted her to get eaten, but she lived. She pretty much is the whole reason there was so much chaos and so many people died.

Does it have a totaly useless afro american child with barely any text and the only real on screen needs would be gymnastics like in a certain other jurasic movie ?

(stirs up the pot.)

doom_is_great said:

I am afraid I have to give this film a thumbs down. It's an enjoyable thrill ride, but I really had to suspend my disbelief towards the end. Also, the red head who ran the park really pissed me off and I wanted her to get eaten, but she lived. She pretty much is the whole reason there was so much chaos and so many people died.

Heh. I'm gonna agree with that... it really went over the top towards the end, with a few "Yeah right... my ass" moments.

Chris Pratt has more money than he knows what to do with now with his meteoric rise to fame. Everyone in the movie business has to have him, before the weight of his fame becomes a burden no one wants to carry any more and/or his talents are all cashed checks. He's a down-to-earth guy but the business eventually changes you, and you start taking on acting roles you never wanted in the first place.

Jonathan said:

he sounds like Andy from Parks & Rec

My wife really wants to see this but I cant shake this feeling either.

I must have missed the reason why Jurassic Park is considered a classic.

The plot is broken. The second half of the movie has none.

The kids. Dear god, the fucking kids.

Massive problems with basic geography / laws of physics. T-Rex paddock has 100ft drop on the other side of the fence that cars can fall down. T-rexes can stealth mode into visitor centers at the end of movies to eat raptors with no noise / destruction of doorways or walls. Theme parks and zoos work fine with a staff level of 3 people during hurricanes.

Life finds a way hurghalurghlahaulfhulnglgjlkdsjglksdho;wgfhdsfDERP

Saw it last night. Didn't care for it much. It felt like it was trying to remake the first Jurassic Park rather than be a sequel with all of the homages and tributes and reenactments that were not needed. Nothing nostalgic about it.

The CGI was worse than JP3. The humor was out of place. None of the characters caught my interest. The new hybrid dinosaur was silly (why not just use a Giganotosaurus?). The raptors being used as hunting dogs was stupid. The kids were so friggin annoying and didn't really add much to the story. The music was pretty generic outside of the rehashed classic themes (which is sad to say as Giacchino is one of my favorite modern composers). Bringing back Wu was pointless and, instead, should have brought back any of the main characters (spared no expense, my ass). The human villain was extremely cartoony. Blah. I can go on, but I'll leave it at that.

I did like that they brought back the T. Rex from the first movie, though. The last 10 minutes was quite the wild ride.

Chances are, I will own this on DVD, but it is the weakest of the franchise, in my opinion. The first 2 are the best, hands down.

no worse than the turds that marvel keeps releasing as movies that somehow rake in a billion each.

Wait wait where are the feathers? At least some of them should have feathers, maybe not the aquatic ones. At least give the flying dinosaurs some feathers.

No feathers? That means it's at best a 3.5 star movie, and I don't watch anything with less than 4.

Should I upvote it?

darknation said:

I must have missed the reason why Jurassic Park is considered a classic.

It was all about the spectacle, which we take for granted these days. The first T-Rex scene is one of the most visually impressive moments in movie history, overlooking how T-Rex can apparently fly given the 100ft drop thing.

And I think pointing out JP's many problems at least attests to it being worth talking about. A bad movie is better than a forgettable one, right?

My degree was in evolutionary biology...

Dinosaurs aren't extinct, the surviving ones we call birds. It may be one narrow part of a once great family, but birds are still the most dominate land vertebrate. Birds have nearly 10,000 species. Compared to about 5,500 for mammals, 7000 for amphibians and 8,800 for reptiles. So dinosaurs are technically still the dominate form of life on land, they just no longer command any mega fauna niches (outside emu/ostrich).

The 1st movie may have had terrible plot holes, like the embryos and the size of the raptors. However dinosaur movies up till then involved horrible looking puppets, costumes and or animatronics. CGI was coming into its own and thus provided the 1st dinosaur movie that wasn't painful to watch due to terrible dinosaurs. The animals moved like animals, not slow rubber suits or puppets. The best you could hope for prior to the early 90's was a small animatronic that wasn't jerky. Sadly they could have done better because we know the damn things are covered in feathers! We didn't have to put up with bad rubber!

I did laugh at the idea of pterosaurs snatching people up. Just like red tail hawks and puppies...(most puppies weight more than any hawk...birds have hollow bones and air sacks) Many pterosaurs are believed to have eaten fish.

I thought it was pretty fun. Going into a Jurassic Park movie, I didn't expect people to act smart or anything. I just wanted to see dinosaurs rampaging as a result of humans' being inattentive to the laws of nature. This movie delivered on those fronts. Yes, there were parts that resembled the first Jurassic Park, but I wouldn't necessarily call any of it bad or anything. It definitely doesn't live up to the first movie, but it's still a pretty good movie in its own right. I haven't watched Lost World or JP3, but from what I've heard, I'm not missing out.