Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
waverider

Two Boom questions

Hello.

I have two questions about Boom mapping. (I'm using Doom Builder 2, by the way).

Fírst off, I'm making a map with waterfalls, and I'm using a sky that isn't the standard episode sky, but rather another one I'm using with the Boom feature "Action 271 - Transfer Sky Texture to tagged sectors".

The problem I'm having is that I'd want a few sectors outside to have the current effect on water but as soon as I try doing that, I get a sky bug where both the new sky as well as the standard episode sky are being shown at the same time, I assume this is because you can't ever have more than one sector effect of any kind.

I'm also assuming there's no way to have both the "new" sky as well as that current effect on the same sector? Or is there some kind of trick available to make it possible?

My second issue is that I'm trying to use "Action 217 - Scroll Floor/Things Accelerates when sector changes height" on those water sectors and I can't seem to get it work properly. I've tried having a crushing ceiling with this action 217 on, as well as having it on a lift sector, but I get no effect at all.

I'd be grateful for any help.

Cheers.

waverider said:

I assume this is because you can't ever have more than one sector effect of any kind.

No, I think your problem might be elsewhere - with sector tags. You know, "Action 271" affects only sectors with the control linedef's tag. 0 is a tag number like any other. If your map has outdoor sectors with non-zero tags, you need to add a control linedef with "Action 271" for each tag. ;)

EDIT:

And for "Action 217" - I hope it's clear that the target sector's floor will scroll and accelerate only if the control linedef's front sector changes height.

waverider said:

the Boom feature "Action 271 - Transfer Sky Texture to tagged sectors".

Technically it's an MBF feature.

scifista42 said:

No, I think your problem might be elsewhere - with sector tags. You know, "Action 271" affects only sectors with the control linedef's tag. 0 is a tag number like any other. If your map has outdoor sectors with non-zero tags, you need to add a control linedef with "Action 271" for each tag. ;)

That did the trick, thanks! :)

EDIT:

And for "Action 217" - I hope it's clear that the target sector's floor will scroll and accelerate only if the control linedef's front sector changes height.

I've tried this, but the target sector still won't scroll and accelerate. I've even made (from what I can see) an exact copy with a control sector from an old Boom feature wad called "Boomedit.wad" from TeamTNT, "ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pc/msdos/games/idgames//themes/TeamTNT/boom/boomedit.zip" , but still on my map, the floor refuses to scroll/accelerate. :(

Just to explain myself properly: The exact copy from Boomedit.wad looks like this: 1) I made a 32-unit wide control sector, acting as a lift, with "Action 13379 (Generalized - Lift)." Linedefs with actions as well as the sector is tagged with tag 29. 2) Also on the control sector, there's a 2 unit wide linedef with "Action 217 - Scroll Floor/Things Accelerates when sector changes height". Tagged with tag 6. And then finally the target sector has tag 6. I've also placed an evil eye on the target sector. From what I can see, this is an exact copy of the function shown in Boomedit.wad. But still, the floor on my map won't move at all. Very strange.

By the way, the program I'm using is one of the GLBoom Plus 2.5.1.4 test versions. I should of course note that if I start up Boomedit.wad with the very same version of GLBoom+, action 217 works perfectly.

Any idea what could be wrong with my map?

-Make sure that the 2-unit long control linedef has its front side heading into the lift sector, not out of it.
-Maybe you made 2 of those control linedefs, each one heading to a different direction, and they break each other's effect.
-Make sure that you've assigned linedef action 217 and not 218, because I've opened BOOMEDIT in DB2 and tag 29 is used next to a linedef with action 218 there. :)
-Did you actually see your lift moving, or maybe it doesn't move?

If none of these advices help, post the wad. :)

scifista42 said:

-Make sure that the 2-unit long control linedef has its front side heading into the lift sector, not out of it.
-Maybe you made 2 of those control linedefs, each one heading to a different direction, and they break each other's effect.
-Make sure that you've assigned linedef action 217 and not 218, because I've opened BOOMEDIT in DB2 and tag 29 is used next to a linedef with action 218 there. :)
-Did you actually see your lift moving, or maybe it doesn't move?

If none of these advices help, post the wad. :)

The first thing you suggested fixed the problem!

The thing I tried to do was to make quick-running water current, but didn't know until a few minutes ago that a longer trigger linedef made the water run faster. First when I tried the current effect I thought it was too slow, while action 217 was very quick always. I've now replaced action 217 with the current effect instead so I'm afraid I didn't really need your help with this effect :P , well at least not for this map. :) But I'm sure I'll get to use this action 217 elsewhere! And besides, figuring out how to make A217 work got me going on the other things like scrolling walls, which lead to the water current solution!

Sorry for my ramblings, anyways, thanks for your help, much appriciated! :)

You're welcome. One more thing: Whenever I need a scrolling floor, I prefer Action 253: Scroll Floor, Move Things. It's easy to use. The floor will continuously scroll in a direction determined by the linedef's angle, and with a speed determined by the linedef's length. Action 251 works the same, I think, but doesn't move things. ;)

There's the BOOMEDIT.WAD which demonstrates pretty much all kinds of Boom scrollers and how they work.