Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaviro

Star Wars is back!

I... need more info before coming to any conclusions. I will say this, however - it kinda feels like a big-budget fan film, if that makes any sense. Like, rather than iconic visuals, you get a bunch of, "Hey, wouldn't that be cool!?" moments. Maybe I'm being too harsh on a teaser trailer though, but that's just my first impression.

StevieCybernetik said:

>JJ Abrams
>No lens flare

Finally that ass learned.

He probably has some in there somewhere.

Also did I see a droid riding a soccer ball....

Warning, a starwars pesimist rant ;
i had dwindling hopes half a year ago when looking at starwars.com, and this trailer just makes me think they
took the force unleashed and smashed it into a movie format... weird lightsabers, odd color grading, and i
instantly notice it attempting to be a 'cool' action movie... I fear the directors smash cut, speed it up, and
shake the camera, focus on action and not content style... Now i hope they made the teaser look like abrams trash
on purpose, to excite,annoy, and stir the pot !

But damn those effects, disney seems to be doing a pirates of the caribean trip with those, top of the bill high tech.

As a jaded original trilogy fanatic, I can say with confidence that I am excited for this new trilogy. Why? Because it can't possibly get any worse. Ninety-five percent of the franchise is terrible, what's a couple more bad movies? I'm not like I'm afraid of them tarnishing the legacy. They could be good! And if not, fuck it!

Technician said:

As a jaded original trilogy fanatic, I can say with confidence that I am excited for this new trilogy. Why? Because it can't possibly get any worse. Ninety-five percent of the franchise is terrible, what's a couple more bad movies? I'm not like I'm afraid of them tarnishing the legacy. They could be good! And if not, fuck it!

That's pretty much how I feel.
I'm cautiously optimistic at this point. The reason why the urgency of the trailer excites me is because the prequels had none.

I agree that it somehow resembles star wars fan films, but that is inevitable. We don't know anything about who or what we're seeing. It will take some time before it gets its own identity.

I don't know, that lightsaber looks pretty damn counter-productive with two mini blades poking out the side like that. Pretty easy way to slit your wrists.

Yeah but the mini-blades increase the cool factor for the kids. Anyway, I'm sure he has magic force powers and training to stop himself self-harming. :P

I think it's part of the new villain's medieval theme anyway. He wears a bucket helmet under the hood in one of the leaked pics and has a claymore sword. Also we have chrome stormtroopers that resemble knights and a craggy island castle location. All seems quite medieval. Maybe some sort of ancient Sith order reminiscent of the Knights Templar or something?

Everyone get ready to have a hive mind and instahate it because its not the movie you've known for the past 30 years! Good luck anything new with an old name! *cough* Doom *cough*

I'm genuinely pleasantly surprised by how cool the visuals look. They're gritty and dirty, wow! It's like going back to e4 instead of the hilariously polished prequel crap. Won't comment on the content itself, because that's way too speculative, but this isn't half bad!

It's hard to make much of a judgment about the actual content yet, but like dew, I'm excited for the gritty retrofuture aesthetic on display here.

Lightsaber is stupid. Only mildly evokes the official Star Wars vibe, was more excited for the prequels, not sure why. Was expecting more.

Maybe when we see a little Mark Hamill or Harrison Ford...also, if they have any Obi-Wan force-appearances, I would love to see Ewan McGregor reprise that role as he was quite good with it.

I have mixed feelings about the trailer. It doesn't look bad per say, it's just that it doesn't feel Star Wars like. Say what you want about Lucas, his star wars films have a special feel to them which I think is missing in the trailer. It looks too dark and gritty for a Star Wars movie.

Oh, and that sword looks fucking stupid. What practical purpose do the 2 mini-blades serve?

Frankly, it seems like a generic Hollywood action movie to me, judging by some of the shots. But eh, it might actually be decent.

Ooh I am excite. I'm a fan of the original trilogy and have a soft spot for the jar jar binks trilogy. I think what really excites me is how mature and gritty it is framed; episode one and two was missing that badly.

I liked the original trilogy, but I got a bad feeling about this one, though it does look a little more promising than the prequels.

Clonehunter said:

I don't know, that lightsaber looks pretty damn counter-productive with two mini blades poking out the side like that. Pretty easy way to slit your wrists.

i was thinking the same thing. unless they're not actually harmful like the blade of the saber is, and are just there for coolness factor.

i can't say much about the teaser, because, well, it doesn't really show me much of anything. other than the fact that the movie is a thing, it'll be released at the ass-end of next year, and it can't possibly be a worse trainwreck than the prequel films.

So I'm not going to lie I thought that this was a joke trailer at first when it started off with a jump scare & the weird super cheep looking soccer ball robot showed up. As a teaser trailer it was nothing more than a bunch of images trying to get people hyped for the film, but it left me with a feeling really uninspired. I hope that an actual trailer may rekindle my interest in the film as I do still have hope for it.

Jaws In Space said:

So I'm not going to lie I thought that this was a joke trailer at first when it started off with a jump scare

Yeah, that part seemed inappropriately funny to me. And I guess I'm going to be called a racist but that guy being black added so much to the weird comedic effect for me, like "OH NO, NOW WITH A BLACK LEAD!". I'm sorry.

Memfis said:

Yeah, that part seemed inappropriately funny to me. And I guess I'm going to be called a racist but that guy being black added so much to the weird comedic effect to me, like "OH NO, NOW WITH A BLACK LEAD!". I'm sorry.

The trailer only presented us with a black man person of color and a women, so I'll have to assume all the heroes will be opressed PoC and women and the empire will be white, patriarchal, cis-het male scum.

hardcore_gamer said:

Oh, and that sword looks fucking stupid. What practical purpose do the 2 mini-blades serve?

Turned it off at the lightsaber. Quite literally the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Technician said:

The trailer only presented us with a black man person of color and a women, so I'll have to assume all the heroes will be opressed PoC and women and the empire will be white, patriarchal, cis-het male scum.

To be fair, I mean that's kind of always been part of the background of Star Wars. Maybe not overtly or anything, but there's always been an undercurrent of, "The Empire just loves oppressing minorities."

They should just call this Star Wars: The Hipster Awakens, ugh, so disappointed. I would rather subject myself to the prequels because AT LEAST they felt like Star Wars. This trailer just does not do it for me, at all.

They are going to try, aren't they. I'll probably go see it, as long as the real trailers aren't an abysmal mess.