Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
codeslicer

Doom 3 on Gamecube, Ps2, and xbox?

The 6th gen consoles could handle the graphics and the shortest lifespan of the consoles lasted a good amount if time after Doom 3 was Released. Gamecube: 2007 Xbox: 2007 Playstation 2: 2013

Doom 3 Collectors Edition is the best Xbox version, comes with Doom 1 and Doom 2 on it as well.

Doom 3 ROE (Resurrection of Evil) Also released on the Xbox and came with not only Doom 1 and 2 but also a handful of the Master Levels.

For the PS2 however, I am not sure it was ported to that system (I never saw a copy anyway) and I really doubt the GameCube had a port of it either.

If not for the lack of storage space and memory, the GCN might've been able to handle Doom 3 as it had some nice shader architecture. The PS2 is just too damn weak. Even the Xbox version was stripped down quite a bit from the PC version.

A game system's lifespan and install size has nothing to do with its hardware capabilities.

Marnetmar said:

Didn't they have to strip down the original Half-Life for PS2 as well?

As far as I can tell, mostly not. It appears that there's slightly less texture variety in a few spots, but it's pretty minor and they've actually added various lighting effects and redid the models (almost identical to the HD model pack on PC).

Now, Deus Ex 1 was heavily stripped down. Many maps were split into smaller ones to fit within the limited memory, and even then they were redesigned in such a way that is more visually occlusive.

Sodaholic said:

If not for the lack of storage space and memory, the GCN might've been able to handle Doom 3 as it had some nice shader architecture.

If it where on Gamecube it would have to be heavily censored by Nintendo.

You're kidding, right? SNES Doom and Doom 64 weren't censored and they dropped their censorship policies clear back in the days of Mortal Kombat because they saw that it was losing them money.

Sodaholic said:

If not for the lack of storage space and memory, the GCN might've been able to handle Doom 3 as it had some nice shader architecture. The PS2 is just too damn weak. Even the Xbox version was stripped down quite a bit from the PC version.

The Gamecube didn't have a lack of memory, its problem was the smaller disc size.

Sodaholic said:

As far as I can tell, mostly not. It appears that there's slightly less texture variety in a few spots, but it's pretty minor and they've actually added various lighting effects and redid the models (almost identical to the HD model pack on PC).

Actualy the HD models of the ps2 version have 4x times more polygons than the HD pack made by Gearbox Software, i know this because i have the ps2 version of Half-Life and it was rare to find.

mrthejoshmon said:

I also noticed nothing wrong with the PS2 version, in fact I find it to look much better than the PC version in some ways.

Yeah, the PC version has that annoying bug where you get stuck in places.
The PS2 version however does not have that problem.

Avoozl said:

The Gamecube didn't have a lack of memory, its problem was the smaller disc size.

Also the Gamecube was released 2 years later and is the only 1 of the 3 that plays well on big flat screens. Also has pretty good picture.

If they had made Doom 3 for the Gamecube, the graphics and gameplay would not have been as good as the X-box.

GoatLord said:

Can anyone comment on what ways the XBOX version of Doom 3 was stripped down?

Besides some areas (most of them redundant) being stripped down slightly, one significant change I remember was that the player's damage output worked slightly differently. I believe location-based damage was heavily nerfed or removed altogether, for the sake of making it less important to go for headshots with the clunkier (but still pretty agile) console controls. To compensate, the weapons' base damage levels seem to have been boosted a bit.

This was probably a good change for the platform, but it lead to some counter-intuitive gameplay in certain cases. It turned out to be more effective to unload the shotgun into an imp's chest versus its head, for example, even up close. Hitting an imp square in the chest with the entire spread of the shotgun would deal just enough damage to take it out in one shell reliably. The head being a smaller target, meant that even at very close range, some pellets would tend to miss off to either side. The pellets that did land in the imps skull would then be just shy of what it takes to kill them, since there was no headshot bonus.

I recall that whacking enemies with the flashlight was much easier and more effective; whether that was due to the same reason or something else, I don't know. But I was surprised when I replayed the PC version and kept having my ass handed to me when I rushed into a fight with the flashlight melee-style, the same way I did so easily on the Xbox port.

Also, Xbox Doom 3 had no deathmatch, but it instead offered a co-op mode (via linked systems) that was pretty fun to creep through with the right company.