Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coraline

3DO Doom Source Surfaces

THanks for the FLAC upload, I'll check it out! In fact I don't even remember the differences in the sound track. What I do remember is that the 3DO was perhaps the greatest system to come out at the time, though sadly only a handful of games were released that were worth playing, not to mention demonstrated the system's strengths.

Sadly, DOOM was not one of those, the turning speed was sluggish. On the other hand Po'ed turned out great, better than on the PSX in fact!

It is like an actual ROM, it has got everything on it! - damn it!

I'm now wondering if it would be safe to use some 3DO assets in a .wad? Would that be illegal/frowned upon here?

mrthejoshmon said:

It is like an actual ROM, it has got everything on it! - damn it!

I'm now wondering if it would be safe to use some 3DO assets in a .wad? Would that be illegal/frowned upon here?

I dunno, that might risk putting ID Software out of business. That or the 3DO market might start to decline. ;)

Other than the music (which has been ripped and put online over a decade ago anyway), what assets exactly does 3DO Doom has that PC Doom does not have in better quality?

Gez said:

Other than the music (which has been ripped and put online over a decade ago anyway), what assets exactly does 3DO Doom has that PC Doom does not have in better quality?

Speaking of the sound track, I just started it up. I forgot how good it is, amazing!

There's a pretty different DSITMBK in there, but I'm not even sure if it's just a slowed down ver. of the original DSITMBK

Are there any different flats/textures just like the Williams' Doom ones?

Wow, I would really like to see if they changed a lot in the code or it was mostly a straight port. Maybe it could be optimized for a faster version on my 3DO :)

I had no time to port the music driver, so I had a band that Art Data hired to redo the music so all I needed to do is call a streaming audio function to play the music. This turned out to be an excellent call because while the graphics were lackluster, the music got rave reviews.

Priceless! When procrastination leads to better music than the original!

I wouldn't say it was procrastination on the developer's part; it was prioritization.

Gez said:

I wouldn't say it was procrastination on the developer's part; it was prioritization.

Yeah, wrong wording there. Definitely not the mistake of the developer.

Would just like to note a FLAC rip of the sound track was available a long time ago, and in a form you could load as a .pk3 for ZDoom even :P

Gez said:

A couple of textures with no PC equivalents (same ones as the Jaguar version), that's about it.

The console-exclusive computer and marble/brick textures tend to be nicer looking than the PC ones they replaced (IMO).

Superluigieth1 said:

How about a "Doom 3DO TC" or something.

It would basically be the Jaguar TC with spectres restored AFAIK, but I'm not all that familiar with the port.

(Kicking myself for finding and replacing the spectres rather than removing the shadow flag with Dehacked. Not sure why I did that anymore...)

Quasar said:

Would just like to note a FLAC rip of the sound track was available a long time ago, and in a form you could load as a .pk3 for ZDoom even :P

What kind of compression the FLAC files have? Was it necessary to optimize the audio source first?

How many/which levels have the same music?

IMX said:

What kind of compression the FLAC files have? Was it necessary to optimize the audio source first?

How many/which levels have the same music?

The old FLACs on my HD seem to be of the same quality as the raw AIFFs. Whoever did the rip must have extracted the data directly from the 3DO game, as there's no analog to digital distortion or anything of the sort. The FLACs are all almost 50% the size of the AIFFs, just for an idea on the compression ratio.

FLAC format does not compress, as it is lossless. The reduction in filesize comes from a sort of... 'packing' method.