Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

Portal 3 ?

Guest Unregistered account

I recognized it as Qube within the first second.

I like the portal gun in 2D platformers a lot more. Pickory had a fantastic Portal-inspired section.

Technician said:

I think we got all this franchise has to offer us in the first installment.

Nah, I think Portal 2 was alright... gave us a little more backstory, and I loved the gel mechanic. And actually, it gave us the most important feature, an easy-to-use level editor so people can make their own puzzles, which was the one thing the original was lacking. Before I get nerd-attacked, I will state I am fully aware that, as a Source Engine game, people were fully capable of making new levels for Portal from the very start, and yes, I know, there's the mentality of, "Why do you need this Baby's First Editor crap when you can just learn Hammer?" I'm just saying I like the added features which allow the process to be streamlined (especially since modding for something like the Source Engine takes a lot longer than making a Doom level), and allowed for user-made content to be easily downloaded and launched right within the game. It means lots more puzzles for Portal 2, which is all I think you really need, rather than a full third game. And there's some great user-made content out there, both with the internal level editor and done with traditional mapping tools.

didn't the Portal series end, though? i mean, yeah, i guess the ending of the second game counts as a cliffhanger, but it kind of wrapped itself up nicely, despite the plot-differences between the two games (why are personality cores corrupting GLaDOS in the second game while they destroyed her when you removed them in the first one?)

geekmarine said:

Nah, I think Portal 2 was alright... gave us a little more backstory, and I loved the gel mechanic. And actually, it gave us the most important feature, an easy-to-use level editor so people can make their own puzzles, which was the one thing the original was lacking. Before I get nerd-attacked, I will state I am fully aware that, as a Source Engine game, people were fully capable of making new levels for Portal from the very start, and yes, I know, there's the mentality of, "Why do you need this Baby's First Editor crap when you can just learn Hammer?" I'm just saying I like the added features which allow the process to be streamlined (especially since modding for something like the Source Engine takes a lot longer than making a Doom level), and allowed for user-made content to be easily downloaded and launched right within the game. It means lots more puzzles for Portal 2, which is all I think you really need, rather than a full third game. And there's some great user-made content out there, both with the internal level editor and done with traditional mapping tools.

Yeah, the editor was definitely the best thing to come with Portal 2.

Portal 2 is powered with Source 2, so we may have easier map editors for next Valve titles (Half-Life 3-L4D3 ... Grange)

The editor and the extra mechanics are both great, but for me Portal 2's killer feature is the co-op mode. It's somewhat unique in being both accessible and immersive, which makes it a blast to play with your significant other. Yes, I know all women of this generation are leet geeks who would kick any man's ass in a DOTA 2 match, but as an old fart from the old world it's nice to have a game where years of gaming knowledge aren't a requirement, without sacrificing atmosphere or visuals as "casual" puzzlers so often do.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Portal 2 is powered with Source 2, so we may have easier map editors for next Valve titles (Half-Life 3-L4D3 ... Grange)

I don't necessarily know about that... Portal 2's editor takes advantage of the fact that not much detail is required to build a Portal level - the rooms are very abstract, so you don't need all the complex building tools you'd need to, say, make a decaying city in L4D or HL3. Not saying it's completely out of the question, but it's a lot easier to make simplified modding tools for something when you're basically dealing with abstract obstacle courses. And for doing anything fancier, like the levels in Portal 2 when you're in the decaying underbelly of the facility, yeah, you're gonna have to go back to Hammer for that - but making a new test chamber is no problem. Honestly, I'd be churning out new Portal challenges myself if it weren't for the fact that I've never really gotten the hang of three-dimensional mapping. I mean, I understand how it works, I can technically do it, but I just don't think vertically when planning out levels, aside from things like ledges and staircases.

i never got the hang of building a test chamber in Portal 2. i found it was more fun to browse other peoples levels, which integrates with the game very conveniently and can make you waste hours on playing test chamber after test chamber. some of the mods are also, of course, made in Hammer, and has some cool things going on, like the one where you're in space, and gravity is lower overall, making for some neat changes.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Does anyone even care anymore at this point? I certainly stopped a long time ago.

It's not that I stopped caring as much as I just stopped thinking about it.

My biggest fear about HL3 is that it will go the way of Mass Effect 3, in that the ending will be horrible and that it turns out the plot was just being made up as they went along and that the whole story was bullshit.

I mean it's possible, seeing as the games leave us so much in the dark about what is going on in the world. I fear that they are doing this because they don't actually want to write a plot. They just go with the "you don't know what is going on" style of storytelling instead. To bad that doesn't work forever. Like I said...LOST!

I don't think so.
Even through there are rumors about Portal 3, Half-Life 3 and Left 4 Dead 3, it's not gonna happen except for L4D3, cuz i heard somewhere that Valve was working on it and that it would release on 2015 or 2016, i don't know, but Portal 3 and Half-Life 3?
It's not gonna happen, at least in my opinion.
But i could be wrong, keep that in mind.

HL2 was fun... the first few or so times i played it. it's such an incredibly linear game and it's hard to care about the characters when you just want the game to get the fuck on already.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Does anyone even care anymore at this point? I certainly stopped a long time ago.

Valvetime Community confirmed that Valve is working on Half-Life 3 in same time while working on Source 2 before Source 2 was released,after the Leaked screenshots and Concept Art Pics(Aswell as screenshots from L4D3,Portal 2),and many articles there .. and Valve Project Tracker "Which is no longer accessible" Half-Life 3 was confirmed,and we've got the last confirmation after the Release of Portal 2
https://344cbfb0b82bcaf3ab4c-870e77779efd63f7bd6c2ee08d8cfae6.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/images/TQ1Q3I9kr_6q.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg
Half-Life 3 Leaks ..
http://www.ign.com/wikis/half-life-3/Rumors_and_Leaks

You would have to be an idiot to think that Valve was not working on a new Half-Life game in some form or another. Whether it's being intensively worked on by a large team is another matter.

Relating to the original post, QUBE was really good fun, though it took a hilarious difficulty spike about 90% of the way in. A couple of the last puzzles are really killer.

it's also got an assload of achievements for being a game shorter than Portal. and yeah, the game really gets harder as you go on, some of the achivements you get are for completing the "hardest puzzles in the game", heh. that's not to say they're impossibly hard, but you're going to spend most of your play-time trying to solve them.

also, why wouldn't Valve be working on a new HL game, really? the previous entries were super-successful and well criticized.

hardcore_gamer said:

My biggest fear about HL3 is that it will go the way of Mass Effect 3, in that the ending will be horrible and that it turns out the plot was just being made up as they went along and that the whole story was bullshit.

It pretty much already was being made up as they went along.

HL1 has no plot whatsoever beyond "experiment goes wrong, military tries to clean everything up" until they got a writer toward the end of the project, and even then that's all the final version of the plot still boils down to.

HL2 was a completely different setting with a lot of crazy stuff going on. For better or worse, they simplified the hell out of it and even cut out an entire quarter of the events, choosing to go with "hurr Gordon was stuck in the void during that time" to cover it up. Though I do think it was a good thing that they merged characters to make their relations and roles overlap, making their presence and actions feel far more meaningful and important than a bunch of random jackoffs that you only see for a few seconds.

The subsequent episodes were an attempt to reuse many of their cut ideas. Had HL2 followed its original plot, the episodes would not be necessary to make the story feel less empty.

Clonehunter said:

Half-Life 3? Lol

Legend has it there are a few Half-Life 3s around Valve. Like how there were 4 Team Fortress 2s.

Sodaholic said:

It pretty much already was being made up as they went along.

HL1 has no plot whatsoever beyond "experiment goes wrong, military tries to clean everything up" until they got a writer toward the end of the project, and even then that's all the final version of the plot still boils down to.

HL2 was a completely different setting with a lot of crazy stuff going on. For better or worse, they simplified the hell out of it and even cut out an entire quarter of the events, choosing to go with "hurr Gordon was stuck in the void during that time" to cover it up. Though I do think it was a good thing that they merged characters to make their relations and roles overlap, making their presence and actions feel far more meaningful and important than a bunch of random jackoffs that you only see for a few seconds.

The subsequent episodes were an attempt to reuse many of their cut ideas. Had HL2 followed its original plot, the episodes would not be necessary to make the story feel less empty.

I didn't understand Half-Life 2 at all. Suddenly the aliens were friendly. Then a Steam friend explained it to me. There are 2 factions and aliens.

Had Half-Life 2 followed its original plot, Valve would miss out on that sweet DLC $$$. Easier to divide the game into DLC and make extra $$$.

geo said:

Legend has it there are a few Half-Life 3s around Valve. Like how there were 4 Team Fortress 2s.

Nah,i prefer Team Fortress Classic,Mainly because it isn't a "Pay2Win" Game =3