Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Superluigieth1

20th Anniversary of the PS1.

Today is that day. (I'm from AUS, so right now it's 4/12/2014) But, The 3rd of December was the release of the PS1 in Japan. Doom got ported to the PS1 on November 16, 1995. Discuss your memories of the PS1.

The first games I had for PS1 was Resident Evil, Road Rash, and a compilation of various other games. The comp had some really fun games like the Die Hard arcade game, and War Hawk.

Playstation was probably my favorite consoles, and the original Resident Evil was probably one of my all time favorite games. The gaming experience was unprecedented; for me at least.

Kontra Kommando said:

The first games I had for PS1 was Resident Evil, Road Rash, and a compilation of various other games. The comp had some really fun games like the Die Hard arcade game, and War Hawk.

My ones were Metal Gear Solid, PSX Doom, Skullmonkeys, Tomb Raider and Twisted Metal.

I regret not having shared in the PS1 experience. I actually got one for Christmas but we were at the start of the next generation of consoles so I returned it. I still regret it.

Technician said:

I regret not having shared in the PS1 experience. I actually got one for Christmas but we were at the start of the next generation of consoles so I returned it. I still regret it.

Damn.

Technician said:

Back in middle school, I had actually sold my playstation and all my games for it, so I could use the money to buy an N64. Complete dumbass move on my part.

But at least i was smart enough to sell it to a classmate for a more money, than get screwed to the core at gamestop.

Playstation was the last console I bought for a long time, yet only had four games: Castlevania SOTN, Final Fantasy 7, Resident Evil 2 and Breath of Fire 3.

Vile said:

Playstation was the last console I bought for a long time, yet only had four games: Castlevania SOTN, Final Fantasy 7, Resident Evil 2 and Breath of Fire 3.

I bet you played the living HELL out of it.

I loved PS1. Twisted Metals I'd always get for Xmas and I would get so excited to see if I got the newest one Xmas morning. Resident Evil1-3 were my favorite along with Quake 2 ...I played a crap load of Q2. I even talked my mom into buying me a multitap and three more controllers for my friends. We would Deathmatch until our eyelids couldn't stay open anymore. Great times.

I missed out on the PS1, aside from occasionally playing it at a friend's house, because I went the N64 route. In all honesty, I still don't regret my decision - though there were more games for the PS1, there were more that interested me for the N64. I did eventually get a PS1, the year after I graduated college, because a friend found it after moving in to a new house (the previous tenants had basically left all their stuff behind, and so my friends who rented it afterwards had a big yard sale to get rid of it). The only game I ever really played for it was Castlevania: SOTN, which was an excellent game and I glad I had the chance to play it, but it was hard for me to find many other PS1 games I was actually interested in.

I didn't get a PS1 until the PS2 had come out. I'm barely 22, after all. Got it as a hand-me-down, it kept me entertained for some time. I had a friend who had fuckall in the way of games, so when I got my PS2, I gave him my PS1 and a bunch of games.

One of the ones I kept was Armored Core, a mecha combat game with plenty of customization, and I still go back and occasionally play that. I just moved recently and didn't have the internet hooked up, so I spent a lot of time playing that and its sequels/expansions recently. Some of those later AI pilots could seriously fuck your shit up. It was a real mess to control, considering it was built without stick support. R2 and L2 aimed up and down, and that in itself made it incredibly difficult to fight since a lot of combat could take place vertically. Still a good game though, if you can wrap your head around the controls.

I did have Doom but I gave that away. Never cared to play it with a controller.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

My first PSX experience that I can remember was Final Doom. Wasn't bad, wasn't super-great either.

A lovely little console, wasn't it? Good for the developers, good for the consumers. Hmm. I kind of miss the little thing...

I really liked the Crash Bandicoot games. I've tried multiple times to get a few playstation and PS2 games, but every time I got a replacement console, it malfunctioned (bullshit luck, I don't think the consoles are made poorly or anything) so I never really got to play anything but Crash and one of those Arcade Classics compilations.

I loved my N64 though! *instantly murdered*

Didn't get a PS1 until quite some time after it was released. I still have one sitting around. The first games I played on it were DOOM, and Duke Nukem: Time To Kill and Duke Nukem: Land of the Babes. I also played Independence Day a bit, even though that was a pretty bad game... I recently played through PS1 Final DOOM.

Quite a bit:

MKTrilogy (best mk ever IMO)

Resident Evil 1 & 2. Gritty survival horror with jump-scares still unmatched today

Metal Gear solid - Hideo Kojima reinvents his classic franchise. I had played NES MG & Snakes Revenge so I was excited. Had a great balance of action and drama

Front Mission 3 - Tactical mech battle RPG game. Brilliant combat and strategy game

Spider - 3d side scroller where you play as a scientist trapped in a cybernetic spider

Crash Bandicoot - 3d platformer with Sony's "Hey we can have a mascot too"

Duke Nukem Time to Kill - Duke Raider

FF7 - Golden JRPG classic before the series began it's downward spiral into shitville

FFTactics - hard as nails tactical combat in the FF universe. Could never beat it

GTA3 - First Grand Theft Auto game in 3d, the real first taste of a free-roaming sandbox *EDIT* That was PS2... derp derp

SkullMonkeys - I was a huge Neverhood fan and this game was a brilliant, creative, challenging sidescroller with a bizarre soundtrack

Mine died 5 years ago. I didn't buy mine until 15 years ago.

I didn't have a N64 or a PSX during that time.

I had a Saturn.

Still, lots of great games that you guys had + more : Duke3D, Quake, Castlevania: SOTN, NiGHTS Into Dreams, RE1, Enemy Zero, etc. I eventually got a N64 sometime later, but the console I got right when it came out was the Sega Dreamcast (which was super badass at the time), and then that was it for me.

I never owned a PS1 myself (until 2012), but I used to visit a friend who had one. We played the shit out of Crash Bandicoot on it.

Now I've gone and made myself want to replay CB2 again.

I never had a PSX before (Atleast till 2012) and i was searching for some of it's CDs at the basement but didn't find a CD for DOOM T_T only for other games like Tekken 3,Metal Slug X

"Santa" got a PSX for the whole family one Christmas, all because my dad thought the commercial for Twisted Metal 4 was hilarious and he wanted to buy it. We had that, FF7, Crash Bandicoot Warped, and some demo CD.

I was so stoked. We never had a console and I always had to be at a friend's house to play one. It felt like I got to be one of those kids. So special!

Rented a PSX for $55.00 haha, and rented Mortal Kombat 3 and Doom with it. Think it was October 1995 (September-November?).

I think the psx and Saturn were my favorite systems. I liked the N64 Nintendo games, but only the Nintendo games and FPS's (and they were my favorite. Don't know why Metroid 64 wasn't made). I liked a lot of Saturn games, but Psx had Namco, Konami, Doom, Final Doom, Clocktower, and Squaresoft titles.

I got a PS1 sometime in 1998-1999 along with Battle Arena Toshinden 2 and Dead or Alive.

The Toshinden series remains one of my favourite game series.

I remember playing Spyro on my nephew's PS1. We played the hell out of it :D

First PS1 I played had some racing games (Not Gran Turismo) and some Land Before Time sidescrollers that were pretty lame. Second one I played had Tarzan and Theme Park Tycoon. I remember Tycoon the most, and I keep forgetting to secure it for myself. Otherwise, I had no console throughout the nineties, and didn't have a PS2 until the PS3 came out. But I started to buy PS1 games, got Doom first, and then a bunch of others, including the rare (and pricey) Jurassic Park games. I don't remember the console much, but the games are pretty solid. I finished Dark Forces on the Playstation (2) and played a lot of Dino Crisis and Quake 2. Quake 2 ran great in 4-P on the PS2. Solid games.

I played some Tekken sometimes. So many buttons and I just smashed them at random. Was usually pretty effective.

I had it on an emulator on pc too, but the ai wasn't any challenge to my random button smashing skills.