Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kmxexii

Strife: Veteran Edition

VGA said:

Also, isn't the enabled jump a sequence breaker. dafuq?

Last I checked, Strife always had a jump.

Quasar said:

You know it's just unfortunate positioning of her hair that gives that impression, right? :P

Hmm...

VGA said:

Also, isn't the enabled jump a sequence breaker. dafuq?

I've never managed to loot the smith's stuff without jumping. There's a few other semi-secret areas that you can only reach with jumping.

On the other hand, you can skip raising the bridge in the sanctuary by jumping on the posts. What a game-changing sequence break.

Quasar said:

We had four months to do this on minimal budget. Future updates are going to be limited, as our contracts have run their course already.

Is it possible to donate you some money for implementing features, listed below? If yes, how much (for each feature)?

Features:

1) Texture filtering, which will produce same (or better) sprite/texture quality, like in GZdoom on this screenshot http://f-picture.net/lfp/s020.radikal.ru/i720/1412/a9/cd5d839c45a7.png/htm (it doesn't matter, which exact filters, XBR, HQx, Sai, 16xAA, trilinear etc, the only criteria is quality "without pixels" and at least like in screenshot)

I dont mean "turning on by default", I just mean options (like in GZDoom) or even hidden options/possibilities (for example there is no such options in ingame main menu, but I can edit config file, adding some strings like "filter=HQ4x+16xAA+Trilinear" for example)

2) Alternative HUD like in GZDoom: http://s017.radikal.ru/i402/1412/e6/4e310d308db3.png

3) Alternative dialog mode:
http://s020.radikal.ru/i703/1412/31/80a68154befd.png
http://s018.radikal.ru/i505/1412/48/ddfa996ebcc6.png

4) Alternative blackbird mode: http://s017.radikal.ru/i402/1412/e6/4e310d308db3.png

5) Multilanguage support with possibility to mix languages (for example to use one word in Russian and another word in English in the same sentence (like I described here http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1329077 ) ), and also possibility to manually add new languages in game without interrupting you with messages like "I translated dialog A1_256_USDC, please add". If this is already possible, could you please tell me how?

6) Possibility to change ambient light level

7) Possibility to change fov to values above 110 (for example 120)

Thank you in advance

Jumping was not implemented originally in the Doom engine, and neither Doom nor Heretic offer it, however it was added to Hexen and Strife.

Found that on Doomwiki, I erroneously thought all doom engine games lacked jumping.

Also, this forum software doesn't have buttons for text tagging? Boggles the mind.

EDIT:
theleo_ua you posted a screenshot twice.

Quasar said:

You know it's just unfortunate positioning of her hair that gives that impression, right? :P

I do, but, as they say, what has been seen can not be unseen. (I am slightly surprised that graphic has been touched, but the hair positioning wasn't changed. It's a fun joke so maybe I shouldn't be disappointed. :P)

VGA said:

theleo_ua you posted a screenshot twice

Yes, same screenshot with 2 ideas (blackbird and HUD), this is correct

Avoozl said:

I've never really cared for that character at all, I can't understand why people like her so much.

She always came off as being far more Generic than a lot of other characters I've seen. Black Bird kicks Vance's butt and shoots her in the head.

But with that said, Jan Ors.

Likely old bug of backtracking to the Oracle's Temple after beating the Loremaster on the Good Ending path. Easy solution? Don't do that, because there's no good reason to :P

Quasar said:

Likely old bug of backtracking to the Oracle's Temple after beating the Loremaster on the Good Ending path. Easy solution? Don't do that, because there's no good reason to :P

A bug is still a bug. No excuse to have a missing wall texture.

Gez said:

Hmm...
[image of Strifeguy kissing Blackbird]

She might be a trans chick, some kind of Bailey Jay of Strife’s world. That’s why she wasn’t taken by Order with other women and children—there was no use for her.

Say, is there any chance you could alter the icon/description of the "Trust No One" achievement, so that it does not spoil the identity of a certain boss? I mean, I already knew who it was before, but I imagine newcomers might not want it spoiled like that.

Steam has support for making certain achievements hidden that is generally used for spoilers or plot-specific events. These hidden achievements are not shown on the general store page or in the player's achievement list until they actually earn them.

Oh, wait, I see what you mean. The descriptions are hidden, but the achievement icons and names are still visible.

Speaking of achievements, it seems that less than 60% of players have managed to complete Rowan's mission. Do they only play on Bloodbath difficulty?

BaronOfStuff said:

Speaking of achievements, it seems that less than 60% of players have managed to complete Rowan's mission. Do they only play on Bloodbath difficulty?

40% of the people who bought the game haven't played it yet.

BaronOfStuff said:

I think Steam also counts those people who purchased the game but have never actually run it. People could have bought it in a huge flood of stuff (consider this got released around Christmas) and may have forgotten about the game.

BaronOfStuff said:

Multiplayer?

Possibly, on both counts. Just seems a bit odd to me, first thing I do after buying a game is at least test it on my own to a certain point; maybe those in the 40% had it gifted?

Anyway, finished up VE earlier and I have to say that it's been pure joy to actually go through this game properly for once. A couple of shonky things* (autoaim pitch when using projectiles, and some certain enemies (CRUSADERS) just lobbing insta-attacks with seemingly no warm-up or A_FaceTarget equivalent duration beforehand) did frustrate me at times, but it's definitely been worth the time and money.

Great job, guys. Fucking fantastic work.

*I'm aware that this isn't actually your fault, it's just the way the game has been since 1996!

Not only is Strife rescued from legal limbo, Not only are the new assets totally separate from the original files, but it's all with an engine that we have the code for. If we wanted someone could extend the engine, or do the lazy thing and simply compile to run assets without steam, or add in those filters discussed earlier in thread.

I'm glad for these things. Maybe we should chip in to have the community pay for more official work.

Quasar said:

As for the Russian translation, we might actually be interested if there's a complete one or one that can be completed very quickly. It'd be best if the scripts were available in USDC format.

Is it possible to translate all sentences without change them in the sources and recompile?

I've looked a bit into that. You could translate most of the stuff within an pwad, with translated lumps and a dehacked patch or something. But there are some stuff which seems to be in the code. In svstrive for example there was the choices for your answers in m_menu.c

{
"BYE!",
"THANKS,BYE!",
"SEE YOU LATER!"
};

And as i understand it, you put the text from script00 into the code intself in SVE?

Gez said:

Strive Veteran Edition GOG Watch Status: Still Not On GOG

I wait for the GOG release too, and will buy it the moment it is released there. Until this i am still happy with my boxed copy.

So I got SVE last night to check out the groovy lighting. And man it's groovy. Is there going to be any insight on how the lighting was done? I saw some lumps in the maps suggesting a Sun, and some unknown thing types which might represent a light source.