Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kmxexii

Strife: Veteran Edition

"Strife Veteran Edition GOG Watch Status: Still Not On GOG"

Quasar said:

I did bring this up recently with the CEO. There's still a chance but it looks like he might be holding out for the Galaxy API. Nothing certain, don't take it to the presses :P

Meh, I don't care about Galaxy. No matter, at least it's a valid pretext.

Even though I have a Galaxy I'd rather not play it on one since it's difficult as fuck to play on those things, I'd rather have a GoG release myself.

Xaser said:

I think it would be a colossal waste of time, effort, and money to fund any sort of project that focuses entirely on replacing a game's already high-quality art assets and then doing nothing else. In the hypothetical sense that $10,000 were to suddenly arrive at someone's doorstep earmarked for making new Strife content, I'd rather see it used for something of value like new maps, enemies, weapons, an expansion pack, a sequel (if the budget gets expanded more), etc.

I dont think, that SVE textures should be replaced. But SVE has a lot of sprites, that were not changed (in comparison to original vanilla game) and I see pixels there. So I think it's better to add such types of filtering to the game (like we have in GZDoom) and other features like alternative dialogs and HUD instead of wasting money on repainting "already repainted" textures. I explained those features here: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1330379

Also, even vanilla textures are enough for me (the only thing I need is filtering like in GZDoom so I will not see pixels)

Avoozl said:

Even though I have a Galaxy I'd rather not play it on one since it's difficult as fuck to play on those things, I'd rather have a GoG release myself.

That's a different Galaxy, one that is far, far away.
http://www.gog.com/galaxy

Gez said:

It stands for "Good Old Games" so it's G O G

Sure, but some acronyms are meant to be said like a word, I figured. Like S.H.I.E.L.D. (Lame example, perhaps)

Gez said:

Though honestly I call it "Gog" myself because it's shorter, and also because I don't care if that makes it sound like some vague biblical thing or whatever.

Same, because us Czechs pronounce things exactly letter by letter as they are written.

And I also don't give a crap about the Galaxy, but if it brings Strife to GOG, then it will do at least one positive thing. :p

The keybinding options in this leaves a lot to be desired. For some reason there are separate keybinding options for mouse and keyboard.

And not all options are present on both either. So you are shit out of luck if you want to bind your attack to a key on the keyboard for instance.

Gez said:

It stands for "Good Old Games" so it's G O G.

Much like everyone pronounces NATO as "Enn Ay Tee Oh". ;)

Anyway, come on Night Dive. I'm still waiting for that Gee Oh Gee release.

(Yeah, I say "gog" too actually.)

Enjay said:

Anyway, come on Night Dive. I'm still waiting for that Gee Oh Gee release.

(Yeah, I say "gog" too actually.)

Seconded. (Both to Night Dive, and "gog")

GoG sometimes reminds me of the claymation animation titled GOGS, it was around the same year as Doom too!

Enjay said:

Also LASER and RADAR of course.

Xaser said:

And, arguably, also XASER. :P

Which as everyone knows means Xylophone Actuator Synesthetic Earth Robot.

Gez said:

Also LASER and RADAR of course.

Indeed, though I actually avoided those because they are usually rendered more like real words (Laser, Radar and, while we're at it, Scuba :D ).

My achivements don’t show. I have killed Programmer and Bishop and Oracle (and I think I completed training course—is that the one while storming the castle?), and I didn’t get achivements for that. Just before now I had Completionist notification during the game but it doesn’t show in Steam library. I’m not much of an achivement collector and it’s not the reason I play “Strife” but if I get something, I should get it.

I got only four achivements (Silence is Golden, Spontaneus Combustion, Lending a Hand, and Tourist).

*thinking real hard* No cheats here. I might have saved more often than needed, but no formal cheats. (“Slaughtermaps taught you well, Luke.”) And anyway, I remember only one cheat—OMNIPOTENT.

For Programmer, Bishop, or Oracle I didn’t have a notification. But for Completionist I had, and it didn’t count.

As I said, it’s no big deal for me—but for some young lad striving for achivements that might be even traumatic.

Krazov said:
And anyway, I remember only one cheat—OMNIPOTENT.

It's the same thing as "iddqd" in DooM, maybe you just saved your game without quit the game then restart the game again after use the cheat, so the game thinks you're cheating and doesn't give you any of achievements anymore. I guess your Completionist doesn't count too due the same reason...

Well, I remember not only the code itself but also its meaning.

And no, I did not use any cheat code. I must have made myself not clear enough. I played offline a few times, though, and I thought that maybe in such scenario something not quite works. Once pattern was broken, achivements stopped coming. I dunno.

Well, I just played and got Trust No One badge, so cheat theory is out of the table. But then… if I’m offline, then there’s no chance for achivements? I thought that perhaps game stores it and sends to Steam after getting online.

Krazov said:

Well, I just played and got Trust No One badge, so cheat theory is out of the table. But then… if I’m offline, then there’s no chance for achivements? I thought that perhaps game stores it and sends to Steam after getting online.

Your client should cache them locally and then transmit them to the server when it's connected next time; or that's my understanding at least.

For "Completionist," you must find all 16 official secrets on the same save file. Finding 8 one time and 8 another doesn't work, for example, nor does finding 1 per game.

Looks like Steam lost it. Nevermind. But at least now I understand. The game itself, along with a stunning refurbishing, is the biggest reward.

I had later another Completionist notification, and started to suspect something like you say.

I would prefer keeping online on Steam if possible, since their system sometimes goes weird when switching between offline and online and losing somethings in process...like savegames or achievements from offline mode due failed to sync or Steam just dump things from cloud to my local and overwrote my savegames without any of notices......

kristus said:

The keybinding options in this leaves a lot to be desired. For some reason there are separate keybinding options for mouse and keyboard.

And not all options are present on both either. So you are shit out of luck if you want to bind your attack to a key on the keyboard for instance.

"Some reason" would be Chocolate Doom's input architecture. Also the game's not being updated again until and unless we're contracted to do more work. Send bug reports to NDS, maybe they'll offer us something to do further improvement. Frankly I think they're satisfied with the results they've gotten. Feature requests posted here will not be addressed.

I am pretty sure attack can be bound to the keyboard. We didn't *remove* anything that existed in Chocolate Strife. Maybe I accidentally left it out of the menus at most; if so, check the config file.