Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kmxexii

Strife: Veteran Edition

I'm coming to terms with the fact that I probably won't be able to enjoy this on my laptop because of the spotty OpenGL 3 support of the integrated video on here, but it isn't entirely friendly about breaking the news (just for reference):

Windows' helpful crash details:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: strife-ve.exe
Application Version: 2.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 548b1ce0
Fault Module Name: StackHash_0a9e
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00000000
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Strife\stdout.txt:
Strife-VE 1.0.0
saving config in strife.cfg
adding strife1.wad
adding voices.wad
adding SVE.wad
Loaded 34 music substitutions from config files.
I_InitGraphics: Auto-adjusted to 1600x900x32bpp.
NOTE: Your video settings have been adjusted. To disable this behavior,
set autoadjust_video_settings to 0 in your configuration file.
GL_Init: Initializing OpenGL extensions
GL Extension: GL_ARB_multitexture = true
GL Extension: GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array = true
GL Extension: GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two = true
GL Extension: GL_ARB_texture_env_combine = true
GL Extension: GL_EXT_texture_env_combine = true
GL Extension: GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic = true
GL Extension: GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object = true
GL Extension: GL_ARB_shader_objects = true
GL Extension: GL_ARB_framebuffer_object = false
RB_Init: Initializing OpenGL render backend
GL_VENDOR: Intel
GL_RENDERER: Intel(R) HD Graphics
GL_VERSION: 2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2189
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE: 4096
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS_ARB: 16

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Strife\stderr.txt
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glIsRenderbuffer
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glBindRenderbuffer
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glDeleteRenderbuffers
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glGenRenderbuffers
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glRenderbufferStorage
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: lGetRenderbufferParameteriv
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glIsFramebuffer
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glBindFramebuffer
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glDeleteFramebuffers
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glGenFramebuffers
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glCheckFramebufferStatus
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glFramebufferTexture1D
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glFramebufferTexture2D
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glFramebufferTexture3D
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glFramebufferRenderbuffer
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glGetFramebufferAttachmentParameteriv
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glGenerateMipmap
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glFramebufferTextureLayer

Linguica said:

lolwut

I meant it was a bug caused by a decision I've made, not knowing it would interfere with the automap getting input response from the user.

kevans91 said:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Strife\stderr.txt
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glIsRenderbuffer
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glBindRenderbuffer
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glDeleteRenderbuffers
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glGenRenderbuffers
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glRenderbufferStorage
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: lGetRenderbufferParameteriv
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glIsFramebuffer
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glBindFramebuffer
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glDeleteFramebuffers
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glGenFramebuffers
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glCheckFramebufferStatus
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glFramebufferTexture1D
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glFramebufferTexture2D
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glFramebufferTexture3D
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glFramebufferRenderbuffer
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glGetFramebufferAttachmentParameteriv
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glGenerateMipmap
GL_RegisterProc: Failed to get proc address: glFramebufferTextureLayer

Unfortunately your grahpics chipset must support the Framebuffer object extension, which is required by the renderer.

Kaiser said:

Unfortunately your grahpics chipset must support the Framebuffer object extension, which is required by the renderer.

Any chance of some kind of fallback to a software renderer or anything some time later? At this point, I've already played the game once and my only motivation is achievements (until I actually get on some better hardware) =p.

The steam overlay doesn't work with the software renderer, which was why we had to resort to framebuffers.

ATTN: For those who are experiencing lag with the mouse, please go to http://steamcommunity.com/app/317040/discussions/0/626329186901654888/ for instructions on trying out the WIP Beta branch which is to mainly serve as a test bed for bug fixes and improvements, which will eventually be merged with the main branch once we approve everything.

I appreciate everyone's patience. Thanks!

Please spread this information to the folks at the zdoom forums as well.

Bought it. Runs great. Looks nice. Game is hard. I think I suck at everything that isn't Elder Scrolls or Minecraft.

The thing I didn't like was apparently having to restart the game every time I wanted to find my way back into the advanced options. Is there a way around that?

Aliotroph? said:

Bought it. Runs great. Looks nice. Game is hard. I think I suck at everything that isn't Elder Scrolls or Minecraft.

The thing I didn't like was apparently having to restart the game every time I wanted to find my way back into the advanced options. Is there a way around that?

In-game you can get to the frontend options menu by going to Options from the main menu, then to "Advanced" at the bottom.

Is it just me, or is there no brightness/gamma setting? I went through all the options and couldn't find one. My monitor is old and dark and I usually raise the brightness in games, and in here I just... can't?

Also the mouse settings are really bad. After some strife (heh) I managed to set the "acceleration" and "threshold" parameters to where they don't seem to affect the movement too much (basically the mininal threshold and the acceleration in the middle), but there really should be just a way to disable the freaking thing.

Oh and it's also kinda stupid that the FOV slider doesn't actually tell you what exact number you are getting, only the max and min.

Harris is an asshole. Not that I was expecting him to be any different this time around, just felt like I had to say that.

Loving this release, great work!

Seriously though, how can there be no gamma or brightness setting of any kind in this day and age? This is terrible, I can't see shit in any indoor environment. I got to the sewers but I can't play any further like this.

Antroid said:

Seriously though, how can there be no gamma or brightness setting of any kind in this day and age? This is terrible, I can't see shit in any indoor environment. I got to the sewers but I can't play any further like this.

There was supposed to be one. I guess it didn't get finished.

I really hope it can get patched in... or I'm missing one hidden somewhere in the depths of these endless option menus :X because as of right now, with the brightness unavaialbe and the mouse sensitivity settings being so wonky, it's actually much more pleasant and manageable for me to just use plain ol' zdoom to play strife...

Like Vanilla Strife, one can press F11 to select between 5 levels of gamma. There is also a binding on the controls menu to remap the key.

However, currently, it doesn't appear to work; it simply prints the hud message and doesn't actually change the gamma.

Vermil said:

Like Vanilla Strife, one can press F11 to select between 5 levels of gamma. There is also a binding on the controls menu to remap the key.

However, currently, it doesn't appear to work; it simply prints the hud message and doesn't actually change the gamma.

The fact that it is done with a key ingame and not in the options anywhere is pretty stupid... but I'm glad it doesn't work, in a way, because it makes the fact that I missed it meaningless :D

Still, I waited for it to get dark outside so I could see a bit better in the horribly dark sewers and I got to the borderlands. So it is still playable even without this. Fun game, I never really got anywhere in it previously, so this is as good a reason as any to finally play it. My favorite thing so far is how noone gives a shit if they see me kill someone with the poison bolt. And of course stealing from people. For some reason finding people's staches and stealing from them is like the best thing in games for me (like the armorer in the first hub, and Harris).

Antroid said:

And of course stealing from people. For some reason finding people's staches and stealing from them is like the best thing in games for me (like the armorer in the first hub, and Harris).

He deserves it, the slimy two-faced backstabbing dickhead.

Yeah, he is kind of a prick, isn't he.
Speaking of which, I wonder why if you kill him after accepting the quest, the alarm is no longer triggered and his stache opens. For that matter, why does the mayor, after kicking you out back into the sewage treatment plant once for stealing the chalice, when you return, acts as if that never happened. This whole sequence is really weird.

Hi guys

Do you plan on adding multilanguage support? If yes, I can help you with Russian one (we already translated ZDoom/GZDoom version to it, but unofficially)

BTW, yeah, I wanted to ask the same question theleo_ua did.
Could it be possible to add, for example, Russian translation of game's texts? Because, some time ago one of iddqd.ru's users made an unofficial translation, although he didn't finish it, but it's possible to continue where he left off...

“Strife” was my first original game, and I’m really happy to see that updating the game to the modern times was handled so well.

mdmenzel said:

Does (G)ZDoom load voices.wad automatically if one loads Strife?

yes, but this topic is about Veteran Edition, not (G)Zdoom