Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insomniak

Aww fuck...Trent's at it again

NIN = atmosphere, but maybe not the atmosphere YOU want because you are afraid of it, yes suicide is not a happy love song like the Beatles make them but is gets deeper.
Listen to the Quake1 soundtrack. It is probably the best ambient around. (What you britney-fans would call crap of course, ambient is for real creeps.) And if my computer wouldn't run the game I would even buy it just for the music.
You don't let the music overtake you, play NIN in the dark on a rainy day and you'll still don't get wat I mean I suppose.
(And for the genre freaks NIN is regulary called Industrial, heavy metal is what Iron Maiden did in the 80ies, and Cradle of Filth is called Black Metal, you know those Norwegian guys who burn down churches and ritually sacrifice people (especially young children => for their blood, it tastes better than elder people's) ;) )

Here is my little song

Nine Inch Nails
Is so gay
La la la la la

Nine Inch Nails
Sucks ass
Do de do de do

Nine Inch Nails
Stupidity cannot be concealed

Pentagram said:

NIN = atmosphere, but maybe not the atmosphere YOU want because you are afraid of it, yes suicide is not a happy love song like the Beatles make them but is gets deeper.
Listen to the Quake1 soundtrack. It is probably the best ambient around. (What you britney-fans would call crap of course, ambient is for real creeps.) And if my computer wouldn't run the game I would even buy it just for the music.
You don't let the music overtake you, play NIN in the dark on a rainy day and you'll still don't get wat I mean I suppose.
(And for the genre freaks NIN is regulary called Industrial, heavy metal is what Iron Maiden did in the 80ies, and Cradle of Filth is called Black Metal, you know those Norwegian guys who burn down churches and ritually sacrifice people (especially young children => for their blood, it tastes better than elder people's) ;) )

DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
/dsm shows up in pentagram's home wearing combat camouflage uniform with full face camouflage applied and armed with a machinegun and lays waste to the moron

I don't mind your taste, but I FRIGGIN' MIND YOUR LOUSY BEHAVIOUR!!!
And while I'm at it, NIN's music for Quake 1 wasn't even scary imo, rather ridiculously boring and artificial - in case you didn't know, I use that soundtrack to fall ASLEEP to whenever I have trouble falling asleep.

Lüt said:

Yeah but listen to the Fragile to see what he does with it.

I'm gonna have to buy that CD... you're always going on about how crap it is and it's made me curious.

Pentagram said:

Big Heap Bullshit

You are SO full of shit.

Pentagram said:

I dunno what he said, I wasn't really paying attention because...

Hey! Where the Hell did you find my avatar?

I've been looking all over for that!

I for one am a huge NIN fan and Im so looking forward to seeing what trent can do. I have complete faith in him and I think all of those negative towards the idea of him doing dooms sounds will be impressend in the end.

darknation said:

I'm gonna have to buy that CD... you're always going on about how crap it is and it's made me curious.

It's not the worst conceptually, but the majority of his songs are non-stop cut+paste of the same stuff over and over again. Like all his stuff, it had a load of potential that it didn't come close to achieving.

And it still has that Radio Shack sound to it, but not half as bad as the Downward Spiral did.

Pentagram said:

NIN = atmosphere, but maybe not the atmosphere YOU want because you are afraid of it

ROFL, yeah NIN's scary for sure... scary that more than 1,000 of the albums were sold.

Although I have to say I like a fair amount of the remixes, usually because it takes a crew of other people to bring out the potential in Reznor's music.

Pentagram said:

Listen to the Quake1 soundtrack. It is probably the best ambient around.

Sheesh, it must be the only ambient soundtrack you've ever heard then, eh?

*cough*Das Innere Ich*wheeze*

Shit, I liked the quake soundtrack but that still doesn't justify half the shit that Pentagram said...

Anyway, I thought the 'gritty' (by accident or not) sound track suited the gritty (shitty) graphics. I hear the Quake tracks and I think "Brown... nice"

darknation said:

Shit, I liked the quake soundtrack but that still doesn't justify half the shit that Pentagram said...

Anyway, I thought the 'gritty' (by accident or not) sound track suited the gritty (shitty) graphics. I hear the Quake tracks and I think "Brown... nice"

I can only declare that I agree on that - Quake 1 soundtrack -> associations to brown.
But that didn't prevent me from hating it. One of the things I disliked about Quake1 was it's dominant brown colour and the music's "brown" feel to it (not to mention the music in general).

dsm said:

One of the things I disliked about Quake1 was it's dominant brown colour and the music's "brown" feel to it (not to mention the music in general).

Quake wasn´t very brown - it had the typical purple sky in the arcane maps, the base maps were dominated by beige and orange, the netherworld maps had a strong grey-and-red theme, the terracotta maps terracotta, some maps from the first 2 episodes had a strong blue theme... There are some very prominent brown maps as well, Necropolis or dm1, but it´s not overdominant.

Tetzlaff said:

but it´s not overdominant.

Are you kidding? Even the blues looked brown in that game.

Not to say I didn't like it, I really enjoyed the game, much more than Quake2, but still, it's one of those games you can only take one episode at a time, else it'll drive you insane.

Lemme see:
The marine's helmet is brown, his skin colour is slightly brownish, his yellow armour is brownish too, his trousers have brown in them, the axe has something brownish about it, both shotguns have lots of brown, nailguns both have brown tints here and there, rocket launcher and grenade launcher are both brown, lightning gun has brown in it too, walls are primarily brown, heads down display is brown, grunts and enforcers are primarily brown, ogres are brown, shrags are white-brownish (same with Shambler), fiends are a brownish-orange, Vores have brown in both legs and torso, much of the water is brown.
Hell, even the blood FEELS brown.
There's probably a lot more, but I can't think of it now.

Fredrik said:

DOOM 2 is as brown as Quake.

There's a reason why I like Doom 1 better and no, Doom 2 is not nearly as brown as Quake 1:
the chaingun and BFG isn't as brown, the Archvile isn't brown, the mancubus' skin colour is more like real skin colour (that goes for everything with skin colour in Doom 2) I.E. less brownish, and Doom 2 has all the old Doom 1 demons where very few of 'em were any brown.

But Doom 2 still had too much brown in it for my taste.
Doom 1 didn't seem like one colour was dominant like Quake1 and Quake 2 (Quake 2 was nowhere near as bad as Quake1) and it seems to me that Doom 3 doesn't really have a dominant colour either.

Whoever dislikes a game <just> because it sticks to a particular color theme is fantastically retarded.

Using more than one particular color and keeping a similar theme is possible, and not only that, it's the win. Quake1 had a big enough color variation in my opinion, I love the game more than doom2.

Zaldron said:

Whoever dislikes a game <just> because it sticks to a particular color theme is fantastically retarded.

In YOUR opinion - doesn't mean your opinion is right - and I didn't say that I DISLIKED Doom 2, merely that I preferred the colour scheme of Doom 1. Don't make me want to go all the way to Limbae just to get your scalp.

Oh now you fell all insulted and shit.

Bah, I won't even try. Some people just amazes me...

I don't think this thread has become about Trent Reznor anymore, but I'll add my thoughts anyway.

His first album I like. Mostly electronic stuff, heavy early MIDI influence, but good nonetheless. I like his experimental side, although he does seem to have this obsession with cutting frequencies to make things sound muffled. I can't always appreciate his vision, but he's DAMN good at painting a scene-- especially if that scene is morbid.

His last album, Fragile, seems to depart from normal musical formulas and he definitely seems able(further proven by his work in Natural Born Killers) to set music to a situation rather than paste together loops at this point in his career.

Games like Unreal for the PC and Rez for the PS2 have come pretty close to "interactive soundtracks". I think Doom3 will have this aspect covered.

I can also relate to what he thinks is good music-- again seen in Natural Born Killers, he takes clips from artists like Peter Gabriel.

So, again, I may not always agree with his views(like how he gets famous and then needs to lock himself away in some hole so he can get all depressed again), but I don't have any doubts pertaining to his ability as a sountrack artist.

I mean, come on... would you guys rather have Slipknot do it?

Manik999 said:

I mean, come on... would you guys rather have Slipknot do it?

Yes, I'm a slipknot fan and I believe they could shock you with what they can really do.

Actually...having Slipknot do some music for a game could work...but what I'd like to see is the music being keyed to the in-game action interactively, so you get sudden huge evil bits when big nasty toothy thing leaps out at you etc....anyone here played X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter...? The music worked so well in that for precisely this reason, it added immensely to the overall game experience IMO.

dsm said:

... nailguns both have brown tints here and there, rocket launcher and grenade launcher are both brown, lightning gun has brown in it too, walls are primarily brown...

Quake has indeed lots of rusty brown tones in the weapon and monster designs, but walls aren´t primarely brown! I already gave you examples in my previous post that Quake had a quite large colour variety in the texture schemes. Q1 custom levels have a much larger colour variety than Q2 custom levels for example, because Q1 already provided that variety. Go look for yourself! It´s enerving when people think Q1 was all brown, because it isn´t.
You´re however right that it has a strong brown "feel", but that´s a different thing.

I have to say, having played Q3 first, I was pretty disappointed with the look of Q1 and Q2 when I got the Quake Trilogy pack...gameplay was great, but they were so drab...I think the brown receptors in my eyes have burned out after Q2 and the missionpacks...I may sue ID...:D...

Hang on, wasn't this thread about music...?

RRROOOAAARRR said:

Hang on, wasn't this thread about music...?

Welcome to Doomworld. We cover lesbian sex, Doom, music arguements, Intel vs AMD, Win32 vs l00nix/Mac and movie reviews everyday, every thread.

Interesting...why do they hide it here? I'm actually finding it a bit disorientating, not seeing everyone's postcount...is it just to discourage blatant spammers?

Yes.

(like me)

But for that we have far more...interesting tools.

/me hugs AdminCenter.