• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsm

The new imp

The new imp?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. The new imp?

• WHERE ARE THE SPIKES AND RED EYES!??? (it sucks)
    • It\'s AWESOME!
    • Pretty cool
    • Bah! Could\'ve been better

Whaddya all think of the new imp (those of you who have seen the released movie or screenshots of the imp)?

Heh I didn't notice anything imp-like in that video.

Guess I'll watch it again sometime.

/me ph33rs the evil 5fps.

Lüt said:

Heh I didn't notice anything imp-like in that video.

Guess I'll watch it again sometime.

/me ph33rs the evil 5fps.

Hmm, it's just about the last Doom 3 footage shown in that video - you look down a darkened hallway, when suddenly there's a fiery flash and a fireball hammers into the ground in front of you, followed by a rather fast, dark-brown critter moving out of the darkness and suddenly hurling itself to the ground, crawling at you for a few feet, before it gets up again and hurls a fireball down your throat. Trent Reznor is the one being interviewed during that sequence.
The imp also appears a bit earlier, where we see the old imp first and then an animation of the new imp comes up next to it, looking around and then winds its hand backward as if to throw a fireball or to scratch you.
You can also see it occasionally on the top of the DW page - a dark, humanoid, thin shape, bent slightly over, with a bright light forming inside its right hand.

This is supposedly a shot of the new imp from movie, Doom3:Legacy

All I can see from this shot is only an 'imp', that is implied by the public at the moment. The dark shadow reflecting on its apperance spoils quality of its visualization as that fireball blemishes the image. Its skins apparently seem pretty greenish, far different away from the original kind, also rich in details showing at a certain point of view. However, we havn't confirmed what type of creature it is yet, I suppose, so we'll just have to wait and see how it'll turn out to be like.

999cop said:

This is supposedly a shot of the new imp from movie, Doom3:Legacy

OK, got it.

Yeah, I guess I like it but if they're gonna call it an "imp" I think it should be a little more similar to the original.

A creature that leaps and crawls across corridors doesn't need spikey protuberancies all around it. Otherwise it just couldn't maneuver. It's obvious the spikes in the original Doom were added just to give the creature some flavor. Fuck, it was so evident, just by looking at how the flesh did not react to each spike's birth. We're talking about little pixelated sprites, but every other monster has way more detail than the Imp.

In short, it rocks. I don't have any doubts the id artists know what they're doing.

Zaldron said:

I don't have any doubts the id artists know what they're doing.

Even after the Quakes?

Lament said:

Even after the Quakes?

Sorry, your post makes no sense. I worship every single texture, model and skin made by id. Once you go beyond the technical limitations of those times, it's obvious they're at the top of the field.

Zaldron said:

But every other monster has way more detail than the Imp.

In short, it rocks. I don't have any doubts the id artists know what they're doing.

Yes, indeed, others that we have seen so far are more detailed.

It is alright. In some way I hope, I'd like to see they'll improve and revise a bit in the time of future.

well,it looks pretty cool.i almost think it looks too cool to be an imp too = ]
the fireball attack looks believable.well something is missing.if they are actually an imp,i hope the engine can render 4-5 of them on screen.imp was quite scary in number.

999cop said:

Yes, indeed, others that we have seen so far are more detailed.

I meant the ones in the old Doom :P

I kinda like it. the shadows give it a real creepy look, but you really can't make out the face. what do the teeth look like? does it have a nose? I can't tell. does it show a clearer shot in the video?

I like how the crawling/leaping behaviour matches the fact that it's multiple-eyed, sorta like a spider.

At first, I was a bit disappointed that it didn't have spikes (I'm the one who voted "bah! could've been better"), but after thinking about it I began to like it a lot - I guess I just need to get used to the new look of the critters :-)

But I love its new behaviour, no doubt about that.
The way it slams the fireball into the floor, crawls on the floor and leaps up again is smack on target!

Ling has described the face of the imp (some of it) and he said it had several spider-like evil eyes - pretty cool I guess.

And I like the skin colour too - dark-green-brown, kinda like some disgusting reptile. I hope I can still kill one of these with one sb shotgun blast. (after hearing that it takes five pistol shots to kill a zombie, I have become worried that all the monsters have become tougher. It had better be just the zombies which have become tougher).

dsm said:

I have become worried that all the monsters have become tougher. It had better be just the zombies which have become tougher).

I'm certain there will be locational damage, i.e. one shot to the head for a kill, maybe 4 or 5 to the body.

Lüt said:

I'm certain there will be locational damage, i.e. one shot to the head for a kill, maybe 4 or 5 to the body.

Like in RtCW? Maybe.
I just hope that the pistol wont seem totally useless (the pistols in RtCW were both pretty useless - only the dual colts were worth using), as I want to use it some more than in the old game.
To that end, enemies should react a bit more to getting shot than those in RtCW imho.

Just got a better look at the imp (having looked through the 30 fps 7 minute video again) - damn that thing looks great with those many evil, red eyes - I didn't mind that they changed it in that way at all.
/me is happy.

I saw some spikes on the new imp, check the video, on the side of it's legs there are really little sharp thingies. Like a saw's blades running from the knee up on the side. =P

Fredrik said:

Spikes blah. The spikes are the crappy part of the imp.

You're right, the best part is the rich with protein dark and loose anus.

oh and dsm: The imp now has 6 RED eyes, therefore it's 3 times better! =P

orion said:

You're right, the best part is the rich with protein dark and loose anus.

You got that one straight... damn right

orion said:

oh and dsm: The imp now has 6 RED eyes, therefore it's 3 times better! =P

Damn straight!
Not only does the new impy LOOK great, it also BEHAVES great.
/Me continues being happy

dsm said:

Damn straight!
Not only does the new impy LOOK great, it also BEHAVES great.
/Me continues being happy

man, you got a hell lot of mood swings, one minute you think something sucks the next you love it.

orion said:

man, you got a hell lot of mood swings, one minute you think something sucks the next you love it.

Ah, I'm not the only one then...

999cop said:

Original Imp (in fanart) always looks awesome.

we don't even know that's an imp.