Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Hansen

Happy birthday - here, have a level!

Congratulations Doom! You're just full of good vibrations! Here's a rushed and scarcely tested level in case we need a bit of fun on this great day :)

Ohh and, if you find any bugs and post them here, I'll probably credit you as a playtester, because... well, it's not been tested by anyone :P It's a bit rushed to have it ready for today.

No more excuses! Download here!

Doom 2, map01, adv sourceport recommended.

Have a nice day! :)

Great map. Very nice looking, well flowing, feeling a bit oldschool but with enough newschool touches, sometimes only slightly confusing at maximum, but enjoyable. Good usage of stock textures only, as always in a Chris Hansen's map. Thanks for the experience. Happy birthday to Doom!

There were lots of cacos, hell knights, revenants and mancubuses in the first few areas but no heavy weaponry to deal with them, except a few rockets. So I had to flee from the monsters often, and I find that very unsatisfying. But lately I've seen some forum members saying that they enjoy skipping monsters, so I guess you'll find your audience. Or I missed a SSG at start (aka the solution to boredom in "traditional" maps).

Well, speaking for myself, the caco horde in this map didn't endanger me directly, and that's why I've "skipped" them until I had more ammo. Otherwise I've always had just enough ammo, I believe, or I could easily find some nearby. Maybe I tend to conserve ammo naturally. I've found 3 of the 4 secrets (they might have contained rockets), and I've used rockets only when I had enough of them and only against high-tier monsters. There weren't so many tough monsters so that I couldn't bear shotgunning / chaingunning a few of them.

Memfis said:

There were lots of cacos, hell knights, revenants and mancubuses in the first few areas but no heavy weaponry to deal with them, except a few rockets. So I had to flee from the monsters often, and I find that very unsatisfying. But lately I've seen some forum members saying that they enjoy skipping monsters, so I guess you'll find your audience.

Heh, my strategy tends to be 'try and run past as many things as possible because I want to go fast'. I'll give this a go when I have time.

I'm having a blast with this map :). I love how spacious it is and it flows nicely. That hidden revenant though, it got me once, what a great spot for it. Very fun map, good job.

40oz said:

aaaaah what the hell

http://i.imgur.com/5k35WbV.png

MAP01: Funderhalls

Sorry if the gameplay is a bit sloppy. I speedmapped it.

FDA with -complevel 2, I'm glad that I've guessed the complevel right, but you could have elaborated it anyway. Yes, the map feels like a speedmap (homage-y, simplistic, roughly shaped), but for a simple tribute for Doom's birthday it's more than good! I only wished I could jump out of those windows and didn't have to backtrack so much.