Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kmxexii

Cacowards 2015 Nomination Thread

illuknisaa said:

So you think hitscanners teleporting behind your back is fun and challenging?
Why not also teleport player into a box with damaging floor for few seconds or randomly remove ammo from the player? That basically creates the same gameplay situation.

I don't recall any situtations in Valiant where I died because of "hitscanners teleporting behind my back." Maybe because I exhibited some basic awareness and prudence while playing?

Maps must be really poorly designed if I can just break them with 54 units of vertical movement.

All right, confirmed for trolling.

And yes Valiant deserves a cacoward, it's truly one of the best mapsets ever.

I would say that the Cacowards are done with Brutal Doom until the release of the game WITH the megawad... then it could be considered again.

illuknisaa said:

I don't get why people like Valiant. It suffers from hitscanners teleporting behind your back, buttons that do something (dunno wat tho), can't jump...

ffs, read the DWMC plays valiant thread. then play some valiant maps and some 1994 maps, perhaps you will notice some difference.

I will certainly nominate Valiant and Sunlust for cacowards this year already. They are probably the best releases of the last few years let alone this year.

*post edited to remove misunderstanding, sorry :)

cannonball said:

They are probably the best releases for a good few years now.

How dare you! Vela Pax, BTSX E3 and nobody-knows-what-else is in progress. The community gets new mappers like tourniquet and Octavarium, who produce maps of amazing quality within short time and consistently improve. And that's not to underestimate anyone and everyone else.

Anyway, yeah:

+1 for Sunlust
+1 for Valiant (if I haven't said this already before)

And I also nominate Ol' No Name for being an awesome looking + awesome playable mapset.

EDIT: The "How dare you!" part was me joking. :) It sounded like if you were predicting next few years instead of summarizing past few years, sorry.

scifista42 said:

How dare you! Vela Pax, BTSX E3 and nobody-knows-what-else is in progress. The community gets new mappers like tourniquet and Octavarium, who produce maps of amazing quality within short time and consistently improve. And that's not to underestimate anyone and everyone else.

These 5am starts are really getting to me as I think I worded my post above poorly, the post has been edited so it should make more sense. Btw I am really looking forward to the wads you have listed above when they are finally released.

Can we nominate wads or mods that probably should have been nominated in previous years?

I think Doom: The Golden Souls (1) should have gotten a Cacoward.

No, Cacowards 2015 should only go to wads released in 2015 (or in December 2014 after the Cacowards 2014).

scifista42 said:

No, Cacowards 2015 should only go to wads released in 2015 (or in December 2014 after the Cacowards 2014).

Because Doom: The Golden Souls was a shitty project?

I wasn't involved with producing it, but why the hate?

Is it because it is a zdoom thing? I was wondering where all the silliness in the Community Is Falling wads came from.

edit: In a way, I agree with you. Regardless of the quality or effort put into the wad/mod/maps, the creators should not be recognized unless they meet our very strict and trifling guidelines. Also, KDIZD sucks and I want to DDoS the zdoom servers. roflcopter? lulz?

Da Werecat said:

Hate? Where?

Well, in reference to Doom: The Golden Souls, a member of the forums stated that it should not be recognized due to the fact that it was not released within a certain timeframe.

...my question, however, is why shouldn't it be recognized for its merits?

It's a little bit better than some of the wads and mods that actually did receive Cacowards.

frithiof said:

Is it because it is a zdoom thing? I was wondering where all the silliness in the Community Is Falling wads came from.

edit: In a way, I agree with you. Regardless of the quality or effort put into the wad/mod/maps, the creators should not be recognized unless they meet our very strict and trifling guidelines. Also, KDIZD sucks and I want to DDoS the zdoom servers. roflcopter? lulz?

*opens door* *immediately closes door*

scifista42 said:

frithiof said:

Somehow I think I missed the connection here...

It's not hate if it wasn't included in the 2014 Cacowards.

Cacowards are being handled by mere mortals. Sometimes a good project slips under their radars. Or they may not like it as much as you do, it happens. It's all subjective.

Not including it in 2015 Cacowards is just the way things work. And you'd be told the same if we were talking about a vanilla project.

Frithiof, you've asked:

frithiof said:

Can we nominate wads or mods that probably should have been nominated in previous years?

And to this question, I've answered:

scifista42 said:

That's it. I didn't respond to the latter part of your question, and I didn't say anything about the particular wad you've mentioned at all.

The Golden Souls didn't slip under the radar. Despite its considerable scope and impressive effort it was simply too raw and unbalanced in its core mechanics to grab an award. An interesting but flawed product.

If we are still talking about Valiant, I'd like to know what people thought about it's pacing. I'm not a fan of the constant action levels, which is what most of Valiant is. As much fun as I had, I had to take breaks. I feel like it could've broken the action up with some different areas more. The best parts of it to me was when it did. At least the levels weren't too long.