Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mogul

John Romero is publishing previously unreleased textures for the community on twitter

Fuck twitter for compressing each image in JPG format. There's a lot of cool stuff that could be implemented in the game but the quality we're getting them is leaving much to be desired

Still, it's a pretty fine share by Romero himself.

Edit: This seems to be what Quasar was referring to not too long ago, right?

Where they keep all these old gems? Dusty diskets in cabinets? That pile of meat, extreme deaths and gun scans were awesome, everything was awesome. I wonder what toy was that chaingun based on or the pistol

Jimmy did a quick clean-up of it, so here it be:

Not as clean as the source image would be -- Twitter's jpegification is unfortunate. D:

Sent a tweet to the man himself about it, but it's likely lost in the haze. May be worth a retweet to see if we can break through. :P

[EDIT] Woop, he responded. It's indeed Twitter's fault, reconverting 'em. Dialogue-ing now...

I'd say he's been hiding these in his long locks rasta style... Seriously these are fucking incredible! The pile of corpses are the best sprite not to make it into the game imo. What a great Doomsday this is, Cacowards on time, Strife returns from the dead and now this!

Hopefully he can get them uploaded in a .zip as .png images. There's some really fantastic stuff he's posting and it would be neat if it could get used in some capacity. In particular the unused font interests me.

I don't understand twitter. I click on any pic to zoom in and it takes me to the top of the page as a bonus? Thanks...

Spiderdemon was going to have a mind control attack?
Liking those Doomguy death sprites, textures and fonts. I see a chaingunner and GOR1A0 on that pile.

A realy different looking BFG, a player with an exploded head (headshot ?), The player ripped in half with exposed stretching guts, Brutally exploding demon, the original lost soul, 63 pieces of awesome behind the scenes doom textures. The look it provides into how they digitized the game objects is amazing... and how much they probably had to rapaint by hand to eventualy make it look good. they clearly envisioned a more brutal game once.

Epic.

aaaaah man Doom guy decapitation would have been sick, especially for deathmatch.

Best to use the corpse pile in the WAD Xaser posted. :P

Darch said:

No maps with these graphics yet? Cmon people its been 5 hours already

Working on it. Jungle Spirits will definitely use (the first of) these quick edits I made:

BBQ grills download

Also I made a ZDoom-compatible version of that swanky new font. I have yet to do a properly-kerned version and one that uses the glyphs separated individually into lumps, but that'll come soon enough. :)

Preview of what it looks like in-game:

Doom font download

(Preview is perhaps misleading. With this WAD, the font will show up wherever the bigfont is used, not as a replacement for the smallfont.)

This is awesome, I was lurking in twitter and noticed that Romero was posting Doom sprite photos and I was like "OMG what is this??" and started fangasming.

So apparently the pinkie demon was drawn over a picture of a toy dinosaur.

Doom was developed in 1993, the same year that Jurassic Park was released (it came out in June, I checked). Maybe this is the same dinosaur? What do the rest of you think?

Colour/body pattern and shape seem to match, and it's the right time range.

EDIT: Someone on Twitter already uploaded a picture of the same toy, so I think I'm right.

Also, now that we have more pictures of the pistol, can we get a better idea of what pistol it's supposed to represent? Presumably Id took pictures of a toy (it looks plastic, and they used toys to model the other weapons) but I assume it's a recreation of a real pistol. If we can figure out what the exact toy was, even better.

From a quick image search it looks like a Beretta 92FS (the same common guess that's been made before) but I'm no expert in guns.

Never would have guessed the Pinky was based on the JP Electro-Dilo. Very cool. And I thought that it was confirmed that the Doom pistol was a Replica Beretta 92FS, apparently bought at the same Toys R Us that the Daisy cap shotgun was.

Edit: And looking at the download, it's definitely a Beretta type weapon. IMFDB can probably identify it better.

Ever since I took a close look at the pinky's frames from the side, I thought it looked very reptilian looking. I guess that toy dino explains why.

That EGA SS Officer from Wolf 3D is very cool! As are all the clay figure and drawing scans!

Doom's development reminds me of Star Wars, so much creativity behind the scenes!

Jimmy said:

Best to use the corpse pile in the WAD Xaser posted. :P

Also I made a ZDoom-compatible version of that swanky new font. I have yet to do a properly-kerned version and one that uses the glyphs separated individually into lumps, but that'll come soon enough. :)

Preview of what it looks like in-game:
(image)

(Preview is perhaps misleading. With this WAD, the font will show up wherever the bigfont is used, not as a replacement for the smallfont.)

Would be awesome if those fonts could be converted to vanilla compatable. But they would have to be made into images of each separate word in order to use right?