Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cannonball

Ultimate Doom “In Name Only” - [Limit Removing] - Artist for titlepic/M-Doom etc needed

On 5/28/2017 at 10:23 AM, Quantum Dranger said:

Maybe I could switch with UAC Janitor? I'm not enjoying the E1M7 slot.

Hell yea! I'd love to do an E1 Map :D

3 hours ago, Quantum Dranger said:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/adnfowjrfa0c4w7/E3M8.wad

Dis as a literal city in hell. I only wish the spider mastermind was a more formidable opponent, oh well.

The SM is plenty formidable if you don't throw BFGs, PGs and cells at the player. IIRC, there's no law you have to do that unless cannonball says so. If you wanted to be really mean, you'd just give the player a Zerk and say, "Punch it to death, I dare ya!" :D

4 hours ago, Quantum Dranger said:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/adnfowjrfa0c4w7/E3M8.wad

Dis as a literal city in hell. I only wish the spider mastermind was a more formidable opponent, oh well.

This map only runs for me with D2's iwad and not Doom.wad... was this definitely created using "Doom in Doom Format" in the editor?

I gave it a quick look -- it's made for Map01 of Doom2. It needs to be switched to Doom and put in the E3M8 mapslot. That's the slot you're designing for, so putting it anywhere else is just making more effort for yourself when you transfer it later.

Definitely some nasty business with all that leaping over max-damage blood. Lots of little rooms you have to fight in. I'll give it a fuller inspection a bit later.

Edited by Steve D

Right, I like the concept here, I think this could be workable, though I suspect that a lot of work would be needed to make this a great experience, but there is something there about this map I like. I will have to do a deeper playthrough to offer some decent suggestions though.

I must apologise, I haven't been on for nearly a month now, way too busy outside of the forums at the moment.

Just began work on e1m7 yesterday (Apologies for such a wait, I may get this done in the next week or so quickly so i cans hip it off with the rest).. Just know, this map is not so linear so i hope you guys have fun with it!

Project progress - I am guessing very little. I have been very busy and I guess others are in the same boat. Still any progress updates would be welcome from people whos maps are still work in progress and haven't submitted at least a first draft on this thread.

I kinda hit a brick wall on both maps basically. I could try and force things and can get the maps done but i don't want to settle with uninspired combat... I underestimated how much easier the extra enemies help with Doom 2 mapping...

On 22/10/2017 at 8:50 PM, Scotty said:

I kinda hit a brick wall on both maps basically. I could try and force things and can get the maps done but i don't want to settle with uninspired combat... I underestimated how much easier the extra enemies help with Doom 2 mapping...

It is possible to make exciting maps without the use of the doom 2 mid-tier monsters. Try to keep baron usage down and mix them in with other monsters in incidental combat, it is certainly possible to use them more densely in traps where space is limited. Otherwise keep a decent amount of low tier monsters and cacodemons. 

It would be nice to see what you have come up with so far, at least so some suggestions could be made to get the maps to a complete state potentially.

I wanted to wait until the New year before posting an update, so here goes.

Right I have heard back from Cell and now E4M8 is open for anyone who feelslike they could make a map. Also Xaser contacted me just before Christmas withdrawing from the project so E2M2 is also now open.

It would be nice to get the wheels turning on this again, hopefully I will be able to do some proper playtesting at some point.

Edited by cannonball

I see there are no deadline, so I'm participating.

I take a try to reimagine E2M2, even without a single crate.

Also I submitted Doom1 map to this project, and it was a positive experience.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh against my better judgment I think I'm gonna sign up for E4M8 because I have a concept in mind that I'm curious if I can pull off. Plus the idea of closing out E4 tickles my fancy, as I've always thought the original map was hohum.

Also, I compiled everything that mappers have submitted thus far:

Download UDINO_Alpha1 here

Missing from the maplist are @jmickle66666666's E3M1 and @scifista42's E2M4, as their links are currently dead.

Oh, also cannonball, what are your views on quality control for the project? Peeking around at the set, maps are kinda all over the place in style. And a couple of them could certain receive some overhauls (Mosshopper's map, joe's map)

Can I take E2M2? I'm quite in the mood to make a map... 

UPD: Oh damn, E2M2 is already taken

Edited by Gunsmith

Funny, I looked at this just the other day. I've always hoped that maybe some late E2 slot might open up for that oversized E1M2 map I made that's now looking for a home. Well, no such luck in UDINO. ;) I've even thought of turning it into a Doom 2 map. Imagine that sucker with Revvies and Chaingunners. ;)

ATM, I can't see taking on more maps given that I still need to finish another 2. I still have that mouldy fragment to base the new E1M2 on, but probably the next thing I do will be E4M6. I know I promised that long ago, but my pace of IRL work has been brutal, and it seems it will continue like this for at least a couple more months. It's why pretty much all I do on DW nowadays is post music vids and play the Ironman League. But . . . I'm starting to make more time, so things will change. I hope. ;)

There's some very cool maps in this set and I look forward to seeing it released. We're at a kind of, "So near, and yet so far" stage. I know that one of our mappers, Pedro VC, has been banned, but perhaps he can still be messaged? I know he was interested in taking over E1M2, but maybe he'd be psyched for something else. Or maybe he could take E1M2 and I could ask mouldy if I can use those cooling towers in another map, or maybe even give them to Pedro.

I agree that in mapping for Doom 1 you need a different approach than creating a gameplay by spamming revenants and archviles. Doom 1 was created for more compact architecture.

10 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

Missing from the maplist are @jmickle66666666's E3M1 and @scifista42's E2M4, as their links are currently dead.

Oh, also cannonball, what are your views on quality control for the project? Peeking around at the set, maps are kinda all over the place in style. And a couple of them could certain receive some overhauls (Mosshopper's map, joe's map)

Right you and Riderr3 have been given the slots, I look forward to these maps.

I have put links to the two maps you could not download, I will update the OP as well.

As for quality control, I would like to move to a decent standard throughout which may involve some harsh critique at times, though I would like to see whether we can make progress on the maps we have nothing for just yet.

deimolab.zip

hellkeep (2).zip

I've changed my mind. After impetuously signing up for DMP 2018, I think the best move is to clear all my CP work this month, if possible. So I'm going to do E1M2 and E4M6 before February happens. About a week per map, which should be plenty of time. It's just a matter of bearing down. Once I'm done with that, I can do some playtesting. 

Here is the progress of my map.
When I thought about the title "containment area", I decided that there should be some kind of containers.

Leaking nukage container.
ePAlYgR.jpg

Area with radioactive containers (chambers) with cacodemons. Need to add a few details.
FwuHSin.jpg

Also need to get rid of this ugly graytall.

So here it is. I will appreciate if someone upload demo playtrough. Also even if there are bugs or unpleasant things, I will fix it.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/sr3hckzzd0c1j5s/e2m2dino.zip

"Containment Area" by riderr3
For "Ultimate Doom In The Name Only" project

Advanced engine needed: Limit-Removing
Music: D_E1M3 from dtwidmus.wad
Map: E2M2
Single Player: Designed for
Cooperative: Yes
Deathmatch: Yes
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Build Time: 13 days
Editor(s) used: GZDoomBuilder-bugfix, SLADE3, WadSpy
Tested With: PrBoom-Plus 2.5.1.4

Authors MAY use the contents of this file as a base for
modification or reuse.  Permissions have been obtained from original
authors for any of their resources modified or included in this file.

46 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

So here it is. I will appreciate if someone upload demo playtrough. Also even if there are bugs or unpleasant things, I will fix it.

FDA, 95% kills 100% secrets. I think my main comment is that ammo is very generous late in the map (compared to early on)... i don't think both the rocket launcher AND plasma rifle are needed, you could perhaps have 2 of one weapon in the map, given that the layout is pretty non-linear. No real major issues though, exploring and finding secrets was fun.

On 1/15/2018 at 5:52 PM, riderr3 said:

Played this on the day you posted this, but decided to play this again before adding some comments. 100% and 80% secrets.

I guess the only issue is the question on whether the map is strong enough to fit with the map title. Otherwise, the map isn't particularly hard but it is engaging from start to finish with some neat secrets to find. I will leave this to the floor to decide on whether the map fully fits the "Containment area" title and whether there might need to be some cosmetic tweaks.