Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cannonball

Ultimate Doom “In Name Only” - [Limit Removing] - Artist for titlepic/M-Doom etc needed

I've just discovered this absolutely wonderful project. I'm glad I won't have to wait for the finished version as long as others did. Finally seeing in those levels what the names indicate, and lots of atmosphere.

Just started playing Doom 2 In Name Only as well.

EDIT: I made a quick custom cover set for those two wads. I didn't find any custom covers inside UDINO https://imgur.com/a/x4x9TIE

Edited by game

7 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

You don't think it would work well for that mapslot given the surrounding maps..? ;-)

I think there is a chance that I might have gone a little over the top by trying to implement multiple ideas. Still the proof will be in the feedback I guess. In the end given the map is essentially a cluster of marble structures in the void then cutting down and streamlining the map shouldn’t be too difficult. 
I don’t plan on making the map easier to be honest, more a case of pitching the length of the map to not feel too bloated.

After doing a proper playtest (And dying a lot), here it is;

e3m7cb.zip

Only UV settings at the moment, 666 monsters in total (Though more including lost souls).

Music is "The Last Sunset" by Eris Falling. I thought it would be fitting to use a midi from this author given as he was the one who passed the baton of this project to me those many years ago.

udino3e3m7.1.png     udino3e3m7.2.png

The map - Well it is a cluster of Islands in the void and uses a few different interpretations of the name "Limbo or Gateway to Limbo", from negotiation skinny crushers that resemble blades, to revisited fights from a couple of E1 maps to the final showdown where the gate stands to leave this otherworldly place. I guess a few would notice some similarities to another map I made around a year ago. Honestly I never grew to like Void Bastion, this was kind of an attempt at redemption for myself to see if I could execute this theme better. I guess time will tell. Hopefully people enjoy this, if not I will try and resolve any issues that might pop up.

Edit - I completely forgot this, credit should be given to @Magnusblitz for some of the ideas and the hub area where the blue/red key paths begin. Secondly to Joe Ilya for the central idea of the crusher area, the area was built from scratch but leant heavily of the layout and ideas from the piece he sent me. Apologies for forgetting to put this in last night.

Edited by cannonball

Took a quick whirl with IDDQD on (no way I could ever finish this map on UV normally lol). Looks great, especially the vista at the start being able to see all the buildings floating around.

Only things I noticed is that there were some lighting issues in the hub area (where the light 'bleeds' into the other sectors sort of like a slime trail, usually fixable by moving the vertexes of the offending sectors around and re-saving the map). Also the columns in the blue key area weren't rendering properly. I was playing in ZDoom 2.8.1 though so might just be an old port issue.

16 hours ago, Magnusblitz said:

Took a quick whirl with IDDQD on (no way I could ever finish this map on UV normally lol). Looks great, especially the vista at the start being able to see all the buildings floating around.

Only things I noticed is that there were some lighting issues in the hub area (where the light 'bleeds' into the other sectors sort of like a slime trail, usually fixable by moving the vertexes of the offending sectors around and re-saving the map). Also the columns in the blue key area weren't rendering properly. I was playing in ZDoom 2.8.1 though so might just be an old port issue.

Cheers, I have tested this in DSDA doom, which doesn't produce the issues above, however I will probably download a couple more ports, especially for the latter issues because this sort of thing gives unpredictable results in some ports anyway, so I will need to find something that universally works.

On another note - I have done some updates to my other entries, I will upload them shortly.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/bfk948gbwddukgt/E1M6_-_CB.zip/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/8s3atmrs3yhx1bk/E1M9_-_CB.zip/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/9je2q9yzc1sgis2/E4M5_-_CB.zip/file

Changes

E1M6 - A little bit of automap cleanup

E1M9 - Fixed a visual bug where the red key is, plus a few other minor changes

E4M5 - Some more significant structural and visual changes in places, the gameplay is similar but tried to make the map a little tidier and make the secrets a little less obvious.

Edited by cannonball

Update to E3M7

E3M7.2 - CB.zip

This should fix the visual issues, I have essentially scrapped the small platforming section where one of the visual issues was located.

Project update - We are just waiting on the last entry (E1M7), otherwise the main concern is regarding the graphics for the wad, going through and applying difficulty settings to all of the maps and a few entries that might require a few visual alterations. I did say that I would look at E3M1 at some point for example.

^ The op has been amended. I think at some point I wanted to keep some level of simplicity for the op and have the original authors names whilst maintaining a list of other contributors to the maps to be put in the text file. I subsequently applied this on a inconsistent level, so I will trawl through to add any other names for any of the maps I might have missed.

I decided to add some little QoL changes to E2M3, like changing most of the silver textures for a more suitable metal texture that does not contrast with the rest of the map. Also some automap cleaning and some other little details, just to polish some things. Here it is:

UDINOE2M3-FIX1.zip

Apologies for the double post but I bit the bullet and made some substantial changes to E3M7.

E3M7.4 - CB.zip

Changelog;

- Red and Blue keys are now not required to exit the map, as such normal progression is now much shorter. The wings and subsequent keys are now in secret areas that allow the player to get extra resources (Red key - Ammo, Blue key Health) for the later fights. 

- The secret at the start (leap of faith), can firstly be accessed a second way and also houses the red key fight).

- The Invulnerability is now accessed by another means as is a separate secret.

- Secret added to the central structure to access the blue key area.

- Blue and red key fights should be a little easier as some barons have been removed.

- The exit fight has also been tweaked, the final switches to access the exit portal now contain barons instead of cybers. They should still provide enough resistance to prevent a swift exit.

- Plasma gun fight altered and as such is no longer a lock in fight. 

Edited by cannonball

Update for E3M1

E3M1 - Jmickle.2.zip

Changelog;

- General tidy up of the map, but not to an extreme degree, just making sure everything is aligned and opening out the outdoor areas somewhat.

- Three barons released after getting the yellow key from the intended escape route. Serve the purpose that other monsters did in the first version.

- One monster closet added releasing a light ambush before the exit. 

- Secret changed to some degree, requires a different mechanism to access but still pretty easy to find.

Unless there are any complaints, this one should be good to go.

I think now is the right time for a new alpha build - This is likely (Well hopefully) to be the final one before we go for an actual release candidate. All updates since the last build have been implemented.

UDINO_Alpha6.zip

I will at some point this weekend go through the maps and list any further edits that need to be done (This is mostly checking for difficulty settings etc).

I played my E1M1 again recently and I feel it can use some serious work. Felt that the gameplay was pretty sloggish and unexciting, and agree with some the previous sentiment that there isn’t enough Hangar in a map that should be ideally focused around one. Think I expressed some similar sentiment in the previous thread years back, but seems like the map is identical to as it was back then.

Don’t really have the inspiration to modify it myself right now, but I encourage anyone interested to give improving, revamping, or replacing it a shot!

21 hours ago, Processingcontrol said:

I played my E1M1 again recently and I feel it can use some serious work. Felt that the gameplay was pretty sloggish and unexciting, and agree with some the previous sentiment that there isn’t enough Hangar in a map that should be ideally focused around one. Think I expressed some similar sentiment in the previous thread years back, but seems like the map is identical to as it was back then.

Don’t really have the inspiration to modify it myself right now, but I encourage anyone interested to give improving, revamping, or replacing it a shot!

I can certainly have a look at your map and make some adjustments, I must confess to being one of the strongest defenders of this map and would love to see it make the final cut.

21 hours ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

I have to echo here.  I made e2m7 a long time ago.  I'd like to see what I can come up with for a better e2m7 and overhaul what's there already if you guys are cool with that.  

Whilst I would never say no, I would strongly advise that you get in contact with @dobu gabu maru before committing to anything. I say this because the current version of the map has some substantial changes compared to the first version that you posted. Personally I was rather fond of the very "Sandy-esque" approach you had and whilst a lot of it wasn't the best looking, it serves as a striking contrast to other maps in the episode, and I say this as a positive.

Oh, well then I'll leave it then if you guys like it.  What I would have done is add a big room with a bunch of slime actual vats with monsters that come up out of them and teleport around.  If you want to use that idea and do something with it, go ahead.  I haven't seen the latest version so it could be that it's much better now anyway than the one I know.  

Edit: That is indeed the case!  I really like the changes you guys made and are close to what I had in mind.  Leave it alone.

Edited by General Rainbow Bacon

41 minutes ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

Oh, well then I'll leave it then if you guys like it.  What I would have done is add a big room with a bunch of slime actual vats with monsters that come up out of them and teleport around.  If you want to use that idea and do something with it, go ahead.  I haven't seen the latest version so it could be that it's much better now anyway than the one I know.  

Edit: That is indeed the case!  I really like the changes you guys made and are close to what I had in mind.  Leave it alone.

I'm glad you liked the changes Dobu made, I did think they would be to your liking :)

Moving on;

I will hopefully get around looking at all the entries tomorrow and make a list of any that need difficulty settings, co-op only stuff added. Hopefully soon we should have a complete map roster as well. As such I hope I can get a release candidate out in the first month or so of 2022 or forever will the inevitable mordeth award haunt my very soul...

So here is the list of future work on all of the maps - note any maps that have "Co-op things" are essentially done, I will have a browse to see whether I can add anything to improve the multiplayer experience.

E3M8 and E4M9 currently have the same number of monsters on all difficulty settings. I am not 100% whether this was a deliberate choice and if so whether other factors could be adjusted to make the experience on lower difficulties a little easier.

E4M5 on the latest alpha is the wrong version because I am a numpty. Double points as it is my map :) 

E1M1 - Potential revision + Difficulty/co-op settings (The edits request is from the author and I will get around to this hopefully in the near future)
E1M2 - Co-op starts/things
E1M3 - Co-op starts/things
E1M4 - Co-op starts/things
E1M5 - Co-op things
E1M6 - Co-op starts/things
E1M7 - To be released
E1M8 - Possible further edits + Co-op things (Not 100% sure on how final this one is at the moment).
E1M9 - Co-op starts/things

E2M1 - Co-op things
E2M2 - Co-op things
E2M3 - Co-op things
E2M4 - Co-op starts/things (I think difficulty settings are fine)
E2M5 - Co-op things
E2M6 - Co-op things
E2M7 - Co-op things
E2M8 - Co-op things
E2M9 - Co-op starts/things

E3M1 - Fix a few texture issues + co-op things
E3M2 - Co-op things
E3M3 - Co-op starts/things
E3M4 - Co-op things
E3M5 - Co-op things
E3M6 - Co-op starts/things
E3M7 - Any remaining fixes + Difficulty settings + Co-op starts/things
E3M8 - Difficulty settings? + Co-op starts/things
E3M9 - Co-op things

E4M1 - Co-op starts/things
E4M2 - Co-op things
E4M3 - Co-op things
E4M4 - Co-op things
E4M5 - Replace with newer version that I missed when compiling this alpha + Co-op things
E4M6 - Co-op things
E4M7 - Unsure regarding edits as the author's hard-drive failed. Difficulty settings not implemented yet + Co-op things
E4M8 - Co-op things
E4M9 - Difficulty settings? + Co-op things

Nice work cannonball, I appreciate the leadership. I've updated your Alpha with a couple changes that I had made to my own version, which is mainly reorganizing the midis. E3M8 has different timing mechanisms for the different difficulties IIRC (the mass of cacos takes longer to warp in) though I generally argue that Heels needs to make the differences in difficulty a touch more pronounced (where's my blue armor on HNTR?!!!)

No news on E1M7—I'll post it when it's ready. Also, assuming I get E1M7 done in a timely manner, I'd like my hand at editing E4M7 to ensure it's swift and deadly. I've promised Mr. Duff some mapping over the next month or so, so you guys will be waiting for just a lil' bit longer. But it at least appears that The End is in Sight!

Cheers Dobu for the update.

To be a real pain in the behind, I have updated the updated update. I have fixed E4M5 to the newest version, I have also added a revision of E4M1 that Bruce sent me this morning as well.

This should be fully up to date now.

UDINO_Alpha6c.zip

22 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

E3M8 has different timing mechanisms for the different difficulties IIRC (the mass of cacos takes longer to warp in) though I generally argue that Heels needs to make the differences in difficulty a touch more pronounced (where's my blue armor on HNTR?!!!)

It's not just the cacos that take longer to warp in (HNTR - UV spans minutes worth of differences in timings) but also everything else I could put a timer on, including imps and nobles... If people really feel like they need a BA for HNTR, you're free to throw one in to see if it'll make much of a difference - myself, I'm not sure it will, so I stuck with greens for all settings because it takes much longer for the map to feel "dangerously populated" on HNTR to the point where players may need to do some cleaning up...

Also, wouldn't any port used to perform coop runs these days place coop starts near the player 1 start anyway if none were present? I can put some in, but I was always under the impression that crispy as the lowest common denominator wasn't even able to allow for coop in the first place...

I have done a little work on E1M1

Changelog:

Made some edits to the secrets - The result is no need for backtracking to get 100% if you do find them as you go. 

Tidied up some sections of the map, including connecting the two northern sections of the first installation you go through.

The hangar section has been reworked a little, with a more conventional exit via a locked door (Key visible from the start just about) and the exit is located close to the key.

Some barrels added that should make combat a little speedier.

Difficulty settings added + Co-op starts added.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpvevsn6fka7h60/e1m1udino.zip?dl=0

@Processingcontrol - I hope this is up to your liking.

Nice job! Kinda disappointed that the plunge at the end was removed, but besides that I like what you did with the map.

Feel free to keep the map as is or continue to modify it if you see fit.

Oh yeah also the alignment here looks off:

Spoiler

1954328997_2022-03-2912_48_48-dsda-doom0_21.3.png.b2992e911820844208ffd9f501c6305b.png

2 hours ago, Processingcontrol said:

Nice job! Kinda disappointed that the plunge at the end was removed, but besides that I like what you did with the map.

Feel free to keep the map as is or continue to modify it if you see fit.

Oh yeah also the alignment here looks off:

Reveal hidden contents

1954328997_2022-03-2912_48_48-dsda-doom0_21.3.png.b2992e911820844208ffd9f501c6305b.png

Heh, I knew I would do something like that when working around that base section. I have fixed the alignment issue there. 

Here is an update, the old exit route has also been restored. At the end of the day it is your map :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4zldgtq3twhqfs/UDINOE1M1.2.zip?dl=0

hey, just curious....given all the maps are completed (or at least it seems that way from the way the post was made, tho i could very well be wrong and if so pls let me know), is there a full wad for all of the maps available to play? Or do we have to load all the individual maps by themselves?

Edited by i suck at nicknames : added some words

This is the current Alpha, just missing a few updates. E1M7 still needs to be finished, and E4M7 probably needs to be revised. I plan to be done with this by the end of the year, so hopefully you don't have much longer to wait!

I gave a couple levels a try and liked what I had played. With Doom II, a lot of the level names were concrete and evocative but the execution of those names were misguided which allowed the Doom II In Name Only project to redeem those names.

With Doom I, I don't think the level names are nearly as specific and inspiring but I've been skimming a lot of the levels in Ultimate Doom In Name Only and they seems like inspired takes on these titles.